WineBoard
Ray Charles left us today at 73.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Ray Charles left us today at 73.... (/thread-13195.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Botafogo - 06-12-2004

Boy, howdy, have you got that one wrong! I think it would be GREAT business from an advertizing / PR point of view. If they could pry 1% of market share from Coke, they would win in the long run AND it would be tax deductable.

I am the most free market guy you ever want to meet but I DO think that you can do the right thing AND make money. Foodie and I practice that everyday in choosing what we sell and whom to do business with and education consumers about how they are being screwed / lied to by corporate beverage empires.

Why is it that we seem to be the only country in the world who cannot make public schools work? I got a GREAT eductation in public schools and I was dirt poor growing up. What has changed? I don't think it is the basic concept, there is something deeper at work there.

- tandkvd - 06-12-2004

MONEY has changed the schools. More money than ever is being poured into the schools but it is not getting to the right places. As in everything follow the money. TEST are now the Holy Grail. Teachers do not teach any more, they get their students to pass test. Then after the school boards get there bonuses for having a certain number of students passing test, then the schools get there cut, if there are any crumbs left they may allow the teachers to get a few. The students and society are the ones suffering from this.

I say make the schools a free market. Tax payers get the money to spend on what ever school they want. The money should not go to the schools first. Then when the schools have to compete with other schools. Teachers and TEACHING will occupey a greater importance. The schools who have the best teachers and programs would get the money.

How long would you keep an employee that is running off customers? Also how valuable is your best employee that customers come in and ask for by name for assistance? The schools now say these two people should recieve the same wages if they have the same number of years of employment.

This is my best observation from talking with my wife. Although she doesn't see it my way. Of course she has the freedom to be wrong as well. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Jest Kiddin!

BTW, quality and personal preferance are more important than where the companys give there money, to me at least.
If Wild Vines announced that they were giving 50% of there profits to my favorate charity, I would think that it would be a wounderfull thing. Alot of people like there style of wine, I however do not.
And as far as Coke and Pepsi go I buy which ever is on sell at the time. I went to Eckerds tonight, the Coke products were on sell. The cashier said that the Pepsi would be on sell next week. I bought Coke tonight and if I buy any next week it will be Pepsi.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 06-12-2004).]

- Botafogo - 06-12-2004

"And as far as Coke and Pepsi go I buy which ever is on sell at the time. I went to Eckerds tonight, the Coke products were on sell. The cashier said that the Pepsi would be on sell next week. I bought Coke tonight and if I buy any next week it will be Pepsi."

You are a rare Cola Agnostic. Most folks have a definite preference (mine is for Pepsi, with Mexican or Brasilian Coke made with real sugar a good alternative). Jerry Mead, our blessed founder, was a Coke guy to the bone. These companies fight HUGE wars over market share, just like Bud and Miller and Coors.

Free market schools seem like a good idea until all the good schools abandon the poor and rural neighborhoods the way the banks and insurance companies did. Then what do you do? If Kenya and the Phillipines can turn out multi-lingual doctors with public schooling we should be able to at least make semi-literate fast food operators, hunh?

- tandkvd - 06-12-2004

Have you been to a fast food joint when the computers are down and they have to use calucators. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Or my personal favorate:
Say the bill comes to $4.46
You give the cashier a $20
Instead of getting back $15.54
The cashier gives you back 4 - $5's and says now give me a $5 so I can give you change. A true story that happened to me. I almost fell over.

Go into any high school class room and ask a class who there state Governer is and see how many know.

I know I may be in the minority on the preferance of beverages. I am in NASCAR country. Even though Dale Jr. is my favorite driver I rarly drink Bud. Go figure!

- tandkvd - 06-12-2004

And for the poor rural neighborhoods. If a person wants an education they can get one in this country. Most people are just too lazy or they do not get the support from there family. The latter is the most common. Poor familys alot of times do not want others in there family to do any better. My wife puts up with that all the time. These kids are just taking up space and don't care. But the school keeps them there to help with the numbers. And the teachers had better not fail them. That makes the school look bad, and we can't have that.

Look at Ray Charles, even with his up bringing and blindness. He had the courage to do something about his life.

My wife grew up in Kannapolis. A town when she was growing up was all about the cotton mill. She was raised by a single mother who worked in the mill. My wife graduated from UNCC with out any assistance from her mother. She earned scholarships, and worked her way through college. It took her longer than 4 years but she stuck with it.