WineBoard
Method in their madness - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Method in their madness (/thread-13177.html)

- Bucko - 11-01-2004

I think that I have finally figured out this election mess.

After the endless barrage of political ads assailing our senses, the voter is so numbed that they really don't care who the hell wins.

Thank gawd it is over with tomorrow ... or is it? Do we have to wait while billions and billions of barristers file endless lawsuits?

- Innkeeper - 11-01-2004

I really, really hope it will be over tomorrow. Don't think I could stand another 2000 type election again.

- PinotEnvy - 11-01-2004

It is over already. The Redskins lost yesterday. According to legend/history (ok coincidentce) the challenging party wins when the Redskins lose.

- newsguy - 11-01-2004

PE: to counter that, traditionally the presidential candidate whose mask sells the most for halloween wins the election. and bush's just outsold kerry's.

as someone who works for a newspaper in FLA i can say i sure hope this election is wrapped up within 36 hours or now, but i don't think that's going to be the case. the dems have instructed their poll watchers to challenge the results at every precinct in the state of florida even if they don't have any reason to suspect malfeasance. in other words, here we go again.

- Thomas - 11-01-2004

Oh PinotEnvy and IK, I fear we are in for a long haul. This whole spectacle of lawyers must certainly make a laughing stock of the great salesnation of democracy.

I'm going to vote tomorrow, but my heart really isn't in it. I am truly ashamed of us. Luckily, in this small town all the residents know one another, so the dangling chads won't happen in Pulteney, NY...

- tandkvd - 11-01-2004

Another fact that I heard was that since the first telivised debate, the tallest candidate has won.

But hey this is the year for reversals. The Red Sox won the Series!

- Bucko - 11-01-2004

As usual, it is the public that bears the brunt ...

- Bucko - 11-01-2004

"Government is like a baby:

An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

- winoweenie - 11-01-2004

Hopefully the nastiness, denigrations, and outright lies cease tomorrow. CB and I always use the mail-in ballot. WW

- willp58 - 11-01-2004

No matter who wins I will be glad when it's over..However one little thing..

If Kerry wins would someone please buy him something other than that slobby Carhart jacket? I realize he is shamelessly pandering to the "common man" but Hay-soos...a man can only take so much patronizing.

[This message has been edited by willp58 (edited 11-01-2004).]

- PinotEnvy - 11-02-2004

Foodie,

I fear you are right. Although I will always vote, actions by the major parties... both of them... turn me off to politics more and more every year. I certainly am no longer the political animal I was in college. Why oh why did I enjoy politics so back then?

PE

- Thomas - 11-02-2004

PinotEnvy,

I often agree with things Nader says, but then I look into his corporate stock portfolio and I realize fully that the political world wants us just where we are--cynical, confused and disengaged. That is how they can rule.

Too many Americans simply do not understand the real nature of nationalism. Too many Americans have no clue about the history of the world. As a result, it can happen here, and I think it is...we are losing our republic in a steady "Chinese" drip, tortuous, fashion.

For those who will jump on me--this is a republic; never has been a democracy. That is why we have the electoral college.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-02-2004).]

- stevebody - 11-14-2004

Foodie:

Dead right. As long as the electoral college can usurp the popular vote, this isn't a true democracy. Been saying that since I was old enough to know what the damned thing is. I think the entire system of selecting politicians needs a major overhaul. Starting with no ads that say anything about your opponent. State your own positions, make your case, and let us decide who we want. Period.

Never happen.

- wineguruchgo - 11-14-2004

Stevebody,

Here is my theory.

Three choices:

#1 Encumbent

#2 Opposition

#3 None of the above.

If number three wins, we go into debate mode. No ads, no slamming. Just three debates with random questions from US Citizens. None pre-selected.

If #3 wins again the encumbent stays.

Stop spending my money on attack ads. Feed the children instead.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-14-2004

The popular vote winner won the election...

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 11-15-2004).]