WineBoard
Read Any Good Books Lately? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Read Any Good Books Lately? (/thread-13138.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 03-14-2006

Here is the official start of the book review thread. Feel free to post on any books you've recently read and offer your opinion.

A book I just finished is "The Memory of Running" by Ron McLarty. I really enjoyed this odd story. Some unforgettable characters; definitely not your run-of-the-mill novel. I highly recommend it.

- wondersofwine - 03-14-2006

Thanks, Georgie. Just as there are "chick flicks," there are novels geared to the female population. Jennifer Weiner is one currently popular author of such books. "In Her Shoes" was made into a movie. Our book club read "Little Earthquakes" about four women as they undergo pregnancy, raising infants, etc. From the amazon.com writeup:

"While Little Earthquakes may leave little to the imagination, and some of the characters are laughably stereotypical (the Mama's boy Jewish doctor and the cheating ball player, to name a few), it is Weiner's gift for creating compelling characters with whom her readers can identify that make her such a successful storyteller." --Gisele Toueg
We all enjoyed the book although it's not very profound--like a Beaujolais Villages perhaps.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-14-2006).]

- Bucko - 03-14-2006

I just finished my "Official George Bush Coloring Book." Does that count? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 03-14-2006

Oh, Bucko, you never let us down....

- robr - 03-14-2006

I'm on number 11 of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. It's called "The Reverse of the Medal". As usual, the historical setting (early 19th century Napoleanic wars) is eerily accurate, as O'Brian uses the formal Johsonian diction of doctor Maturin and the British naval jargon spoken by Captain Aubrey and the other sailors flawlessly. The descriptions of the great frigates, sloops, brigs, and other sailing ships is pure poetry, as always.

In this novel we learn that "Lucky Jack" Aubrey has a 19 year old son whom he never knew about, as the boy presents himself to the Captain just because he wanted to finally meet his father. Surprisingly, he's black, as his mother was a Moorish prostitute Jack had slept with briefly as a teenager. But the novel is about much much more than that.

O'Brian is, in my opinion, one of the last of the truly great writers of this past century.

Also, they drink a lot of madeira, port, and a whole host of wines that go by slang names that I have never even heard of. Some wine expert should read these books and write a research paper!

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 03-14-2006).]

- robr - 03-15-2006

Well, Georgie, I guess no one else is reading anything good these days... not even any books on food or wine (sigh). It was a nice try though!

- Innkeeper - 03-15-2006

If you want a good read that is also about wine, get "Bacchus & Me" by Jay McInerney. Available at Amazon for $10.78.

- Kcwhippet - 03-15-2006

The latest wine related book I've read is "Wine and War: the French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure". It's a book about how the French dealt with the German invasion and occupation in WWII from the point of view of how they hid vast amounts of wine and how they were able to continue producing some wines during the war. The way the authors wrote the book made the Germans look rather inept while the French, for the most part, came off as valiant patriots and Resistance fighters.

- Georgie - 03-15-2006

Oh give 'em time....I just wanted to create a place where people could recommend a book when they cared to.

- robr - 03-15-2006

Another good one is "Perfume" by Patrick Susskind. For a good overview, go to Amazon and do a search on it. It's a fantastic read.

- andypandy - 03-15-2006

bernkastler...I'd like to hear more about your take on "The Perfume." That's a book I've been interested in for a long time, ever since I met the illustrator while living in Germany.
I'm currently working my way verrrry slowly through the novel "The Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy, a sort of post-colonial anti-western about how the west was won. McCarthy's language is not the most accessible, but very interesting.

- dananne - 03-15-2006

KC: Read and enjoyed Wine and War. Anne got a good chuckle, too, as she said it combined my two favorite interests -- wine and World War II. However, she's mistaken. I'd rather read a book called Wine and Soccer [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- robr - 03-15-2006

Andy,

Cormac McCarthy is Faulkner in Texas. He's very difficult, but a genuine poet. I've read the Border Trilogy novels, but not "Blood Meridian".

As far as "Perfume", I did not read the illustrated edition. I would like to see that! It is one of the most bizzare and fascinating novels I've ever read. The main character has a supernormal sense of smell. He can discern all kinds of subtle truths about people, about life, based on what they smell like, but he has no body odor at all himself, and is quite ugly and nondescript, so walks around virtually invisible.

He becomes an expert at mimicking very expensive perfumes due to his ability to identify every single ingredient simply by smelling it. Soon he is creating new scents which drive people crazy, and makes a ton of money for his employer. His employer dies, and he goes out on his own, and this is where the story starts to get really wierd. I don't want to ruin it by telling you the entire story. It's a great book, and in the right hands, it might make a great film. If Susskind never writes another novel like it, he will be forever remembered for this one.

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 03-15-2006).]

- andypandy - 03-15-2006

Bernkastler...your description sold me, I'm gonna go pick up this book. The pictures were disturbing in their morbid cartoon-like quality, but the artist seemed to be a pretty normal guy nonetheless. The way you describe the book made me think of Palahniuk, and I love the weird and twisted things that come out of that man's brain as well...
My all time favorite book, wondering if anyone else has read it, especially you WWII junkies: The Tin Drum by Guenter Grass. The book is a rather bizarre, but fascinating and hilarious metaphor for the war experience in Gdansk (Danzig), and Guenter Grass won the Nobel Prize for it.

- robr - 03-16-2006

I tried to read "The Flounder" by Grass, but found it to be a bit too slow... I should try him again. I saw the movie of "The Tin Drum" and it freaked me out. Good stuff!

- Georgie - 03-16-2006

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Good dialogue, guys.

- stevebody - 03-16-2006

Just bought "The Lovely Bones" today. Haven't dived in yet but the page or two I read in the store were intriguing. I'm in the middle of writing one, so I don't get to read except for in the 'loo.

- brappy - 03-17-2006

At present time, I'm reading a book by Greg Iles. The book is upstairs but "(something) angel"....something like that.Am in the first hundred pages at the moment so nothing on this one. A few (many) years back he came out with a book about a conspiracy in WWII; Don't remember the name, but a great book.

I did happen to stop by Borders yesterday. I'd been waiting for a couple of books to come out in soft copy and they happened to be there. Both books are from the fantasy fiction genre: L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s "Ordermaster" and Terry Goodkind's "Chainfire". Can't wait to get started on those.

- Kcwhippet - 03-17-2006

How about Turning Angel and Spandau Phoenix? Black Cross was another one about WWII, but it's less well known than Phoenix.

- brappy - 03-17-2006

KC, you nailed those books. Very entertaining author.

mark