WineBoard
Looking back I find I've fallen into the wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Looking back I find I've fallen into the wine (/thread-13111.html)

- winoweenie - 07-27-2008

snob trap and re-reading my posts I see I've gotten more and more verbose and stilted in my descriptions. This self-exam was brought about by lurking on a couple of other threads and being disturbed by the "I can use better adjectives than you" posts. No more strawberry, anise, cinnamon, meaty, or red and black fruit descriptors. I went back to my posts on the 92 vintage wines and found that the "I like it" or "This sucker sucks" as more impact than all of them flowery tomes I've been using lately. My favorite juice has but one hall-mark....Do it be good, bad, or indifferent? Do I like or hate the suckers? You'll have no problem seeing where I stand. Enough fer now. WW

- Duane Meissner - 07-27-2008

WW,

Thank you! Though I've always appreciated your notes, it would be a breath of fresh air to be out from under the pressure of matching everyone's eloquent postings! descriptors such as "I like it," and "it sucks" are often the best I have to offer.

disclaimer: I still maintain that my favorite Bandol tastes like band-aids. I need to buy another one before my retailer runs out.

- Drew - 07-27-2008

DON'T AGREE, I think your descriptors are spot on without fru-fru adjectives. Stop being so tough on youse self.

Drew

- PinotEnvy - 07-30-2008

When you come right down to it, the most important question is "was it any good"? However it is interesting to see if I smell/taste similar senses. As a total amature, I often can't identify them, so I lean heavily on the I liked it, really liked it or this is only good enough for cooking. It is interesting to come back later though and see someone's detail descriptions. Maybe I can reflect back and say, yeah, I did smell.... or I did taste.....

- TheEngineer - 07-31-2008

I agree with others, youse posts are one of the few things I look forward to reading. They are devoid of favoritism and make me wanna try a few.

- Georgie - 07-31-2008

WW I can think of many ways to describe you but "snob" is not one of them. In fact, one of things I like best about you, and other members of this board is that nobody talks "down" to us novices and that y'all don't always talk about really expensive wines. Don't change a hair for me, my friend!

- winoweenie - 07-31-2008

I appreciate all of your comments and am making a consciuos effort to make sure I never fall into the "trap". WW

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2008

Gotta love the headline! WW has falled into the wine?! At least he must have been happy in his final moments! Seriously, I enjoy your notes WW and don't find them at all snobbish. If you haven't already left the house (like Elvis), have a good vacation!