WineBoard
No More Smoking or Grilling Till Spring - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: No More Smoking or Grilling Till Spring (/thread-13099.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-10-2003

Got the smoker in and the critical components of the grill in cellar, the grill, tomato cages, and wheelbarrow into the shed, the tarp on the woodpile, the hose into the basement, the water turned off, and the slug trap cleaned out, cleaned up, and put up.

So it will just be grillpanning till spring.

- Tyrrell - 11-10-2003

We had snow 7 days ago and it is still hanging around in shady spots. They'll little to no outdoor grilling for me until May. (Not that it's impossible to do it's just that digging the grill out from a few feet of snow isn't really worth it.)

But on the bright side it will soon be the season for cross country skiing and geting together with friends for good meals. I and my fiancee went to a party Saturday where our host had three of us bring different soups. It was fantastic (except the wine) Minnesota may not be Houston but a Minnesota summer is still no time to enjoy hot soup.

[This message has been edited by Tyrrell (edited 11-10-2003).]

- Georgie - 11-10-2003

I love this time of year. Time to "cozy-in" for the winter. Fire in the fireplace, pot of soup on the stove, snuggling under an afghan with somebody you love and a glass of Port...aah...heavenly

- Auburnwine - 11-10-2003

It's in the upper 60's and the sky is a flawless blue. Bluebirds flew around me as I ran this morning, and the woods smelled like baking bread. Wrens, titmice, cardinals -- the birds of winter -- clatter and fuss and whistle outside my window, and the oaks are turning gold.

Winter is okay, if that's all you've got, but autumn just doesn't want to go this year.

- Tyrrell - 11-10-2003

Actually our temperatures climbed into the 40's today and I've heard that we might get into the fifties later this week. Fall is my favorite season to be outside but that doesn't mean that I'm not looking at my cross country skis with anticipation.

- Kcwhippet - 11-10-2003

Hey, IK. I thought maybe you were giving up cigars, though I didn't know you partook (is that a real word?). I also thought you guys grilled whatever the weather. Where's that hardy Maine fortitude?

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 11-10-2003).]

- quijote - 11-10-2003

And Wisconsin is getting ready for the deep Fall and for Winter. The leaves are past their peak now, but color explosions are still around, and my balcony yields a good view of mixed evergreens and deciduous trees. Lots of birds have been stopping by, especially cardinals, juncos, goldfinches, nuthatches, brown creepers, and chickadees. Quite a few deer, too, including some magnificent stags. It is truly my favorite time of the year.

- Innkeeper - 11-10-2003

It is KC. Specifically it is a Char-Broil, Model 1120, Electric Smoker. As far as winter grilling is concerned we learned in Nebraska where we had a gas grill on a deck about 15 feet from the dining room table, that it was impossible to get the food in hot or even warm, no matter how much we heated the platter. Of course the wind out there didn't just blow, it sucked!

- winoweenie - 11-10-2003

Just dusted off the smoker to sit beside the grill as our winter is now starting. Will go down to those chilly mid-50s' at nite with the discomfort of the high 70s' during the day. Will be posting " Weather Reports " for the next 6-7 months. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 11-10-2003

Carl, I am sad to tell you I am cursing the body shop for not getting my Alfa convertable ready yet (I smashed up the front a couple of weeks ago) as it is too hot and sunny here to want to drive my P1800.....

Cheers, Roberto

- hotwine - 11-10-2003

The two combo smoker/grills are fully functional and will remain so. No need to protect those babies from weather.... I built 'em bullet-proof.

- Bucko - 11-11-2003

**I love this time of year. Time to "cozy-in" for the winter. Fire in the fireplace, pot of soup on the stove, snuggling under an afghan with somebody you love and a glass of Port...aah...heavenly**

Georgie, you speak my language! I cooked up a big pot of chili over the weekend, as well as Bigos, a soup with sausage, pork chunks, sauerkraut and fresh chicken broth.

- Drew - 11-11-2003

How bout a recipie Bucksnort...as the big "E" sez...Pork fat rules!

Drew

- Thomas - 11-11-2003

Bucko, the East Village still has a few West Asian and East European restaurants--Bigos is among my favorite dishes in winter.

Autumn in the Finger Lakes lingers ever so beautifully, but we know it won't be long now...went out and bought me a snow blower; cannot see myself shoveling as much as I did last year.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-11-2003).]

- quijote - 11-11-2003

I agree with Drew. Recipe, please!

- winedope1 - 11-12-2003

Georgie- can't agree more!! IK- the only reason I grill all winter is the miniscule size of my grilling area ( tiny deck) and the proximity to my kitchen( right outside the door) or I would defiintely be with you. NE is mostly too cold for year-round grilling. Stuff tasts different in the summer anyway! WD