WineBoard
Hot Diggity Dog - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Hot Diggity Dog (/thread-13052.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-03-2010

[img]/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 11-03-2010

Amen!

- winoweenie - 11-03-2010

You find a new receipe IK?????? (HEHEHEHE)ww

- Kcwhippet - 11-03-2010

I'm thinking he and hotsy may be talking about the elections. We mostly got screwed here in MA. Tim Cahill was doing so poorly, his Lt Gov running mate quit because he said Cahill didn't have a chance at all. So, he stays in the race and pulls votes from Charlie Baker, the GOP candidate. Those were votes that would never have gone to Deval Patrick, Dem gov. As a result Patrick got 49% of the vote, Baker got 42% and Cahill got 8%. Oh yeah, Cahill's got so much class that when his running mate quit, he didn't name a new one saying that he didn't need one because Lt Gov is a useless position.

- Thomas - 11-04-2010

I'm trying to figure out why adults like us still believe that change will come with each election.

I am by far no Tea Party type--I put a lot more thought behind my ideas than that over-funded supposedly "grass roots" BS that was co-opted by shadow money--but I sympathize greatly with the purist sentiment behind the movement.

The political-corporate-financial three way partnership in the U.S. will take us all down in the end.

Change isn't even incremental anymore; it's just a flat out lie, no matter who promises it in Washington. The populace is being used like the pawns that we have allowed ourselves to become.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-04-2010).]

- Innkeeper - 11-04-2010

A agree with you completely Thomas. But I also think that a sustancial number of Americans decided to try to change direction for the better on Tuesday.

- winoweenie - 11-04-2010

It is certainly discouraging, disheartening, and disparaging, but without some of us trying our grand-kids have NO chance. If this helps derail the Obama express or even slow the sucker down it was worth the time CB & I took to fill out our mail-ins. As shifty and driven as he is I'm sure this mite make him look longer at what is best for the country and not just his best political interest. Classy fellow there KC. We are blessed with a state rep from a district that is 67% Latino who asked everyone to boycott Arizona because of 1070 and he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth to get his 8th term. Pass the medical joint! WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-04-2010).]

- Thomas - 11-04-2010

WW,

My prediction: little, if anything, will change; it will only be made to appear like it's changing. What Congressional promises in this election are any different from the promises made in 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000 or as far back as 1994?

The question I always ask myself when our country is raped and robbed and our government enables it: don't the people at the top have grandchildren?

IK,

I believe that people expressed their vote for change. I just don't believe it will come in my lifetime.

Unlike many people, I follow the arguments and promises rather closely--it's an interest of mine. I've heard many lies and BS over the years, but during this election campaign I cannot even imagine the volume of lies, manipulation, money, and outright fraudulent claims that have passed for political rhetoric--on all sides.

As a populace, we are insurmountably ignorant, often voting for the very things that will hurt us and turning down the very things that we need, because not enough people actually watch politicians; they only listen to words, talking points and sound bites.

We are told by people taking money from Wall Street that regulating Wall Street is our problem, and from people taking money from Health Insurance companies that health insurance industries are the solution, and people who don't want the government handing out entitlements will shoot anyone who messes with their Medicare or Social Security, not even knowing the meaning of the word entitlement.

The level of ignorance scares the crap out of me.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-04-2010).]

- VouvrayHead - 11-04-2010

I'm with Thomas. This is no step in any direction. Just in place. It's made even worse by the fact that so many people think it IS a direction. Just as when Obama won, but for a different set of people.

- Kcwhippet - 11-04-2010

What happened to the premise our "founding fathers" espoused way back when? They said that the people shall elect someone to represent them in the Congress, AND after one term they should return to what they were doing before they were elected ----- and a new representative shall be elected. Of course that was before the emergence of the Lawyer party and the Business party. For those of you who don't know - the first never held a real job in their entire lives after getting an LLD, and the second are those folks who have actually worked for a living. Betcha can't guess which party is which.

- Thomas - 11-04-2010

KC,

You hit on one of the things that bugs me about our government. I strongly believe that we would be in a much better place if we did not have a system that creates career politicians. If we had a system that demands service for a period of time from people who gain their financial support from their primary business lives or jobs. Kind of like the way many local governments work.

There's no doubt in my mind that career politicians is a problematic concept that creates all the special interest influence and all the bloated, out of touch responses to the nation's ills.

One for instance is a guy named Zack Womp, whose political career I have followed since 1994. He came in on the Republican wave and in interviews back then he expressed disdain for career politicians and he made comments about his desire never to become one. He is still in the House and he is now entrenched in obstructionist politics, not to mention moral crusading--the very stuff he claimed in 1994 to have been elected to remove from Washington.

Without restraints on politicians, they become tainted by the power that they hold, and it matters not which party they represent. In fact, I see no differences between Dems and Reps, except for the nonsense that they try to make me believe is a difference between them. They are power hungry individuals with absolutely no sense of the reality of the world outside their little power domains in office. Every thing that these liars say to us is in their interests not ours.

In my view, we need not a change in leadership but a change in political structure, and I don't see that happening any time soon.