WineBoard
what a bummer! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: what a bummer! (/thread-13036.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

After a month of suffering with a very painful knee, I at last relented and went to an orthopaedic doctor today. Torn cartilage. I was hoping for maybe a shot of cortisone to fix me up.....but noooo..he prescribed physical therapy and two medications. Both medications say, in rather large letters, NO ALCOHOL! So I will be enjoying wine vicariously for the next few weeks. So keep posting, folks. I'm making me a list of what to try when the ban is lifted! GRRR!

- winoweenie - 07-28-2003

Sorry to hear your misfortune Georgie. A speedy recovery and lots of great bottles in the future. WW

- JagFarlane - 07-28-2003

Heres hopes to a speedy recovery, and since you'll save a bit from not being able to enjoy wine as much for the new few weeks, how bout splurging, buying yourself a bottle of wine that normally is out of your range, and enjoying it when you're off the meds?

- hotwine - 07-28-2003

Sympathies, Georgie. Maybe your physical therapist will be an Ahnold type who'll tickle your fancy while working on your knee.

I think there's a tendency to go overboard with the prohibition against alcohol when on meds, at least some of them. They probably interact in a way that enhances the alcohol, or maybe the alcohol cancels out the meds' affects. Anyway, I wouldn't think a wee taste of wine several hours removed from med-time would cause any harm.

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

I think you've got something there, Dr. Hotsie. After all, one must be reasonable about these things, mustn't one? The PT the doctor recommended is a woman. God help me if she's an Arnold type! I'm picturing those comedy skits with the powerful women masseuses....yikes! Speaking of doctors, where's Bucko been lately?

- Bucko - 07-28-2003

I just got home. I've been judging in Indianapolis for several days, flew home, got a few hours sleep, then turned around and drove to the International Pinot Noir Celebration in McMinnville, OR.

I'm tired of traveling for a good while.......

- winedope1 - 07-28-2003

best of luck, Georgie!! At least youare not on a surgical track, although much knee surgery can now be done arthroscopically. Think healing@!!! WD

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

Well, Lord have mercy, Bucko. It's good to "hear" your voice! Hope you can stay home and play with us for awhile!

Thanks, WD! Surgery is not out of the question, but I hope to avoid it.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-28-2003).]

- tandkvd - 07-28-2003

Hope all goes well with your healing. Rest up and lisn to the Doc.

I know you will need to be able to hit the Vino when the rugrats.....I mean....kids come back to school.

The wife started back at school today and the kids will be at school next week. She is teaching 11th grade US history this year.

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

Each afternoon, as soon as her car wheels pass the driveway skirt, I suggest you pour her a glass of wine! Wow, that's a really early start back to school!

- Bucko - 07-28-2003

BTW, do you know "details" of the injury? Is it a medial or lateral meniscus tear? Anterior or posterior horn? Yada, yada......

- Georgie - 07-29-2003

It's a lateal meniscus tear, but anterior or posterior horn? I didn't hear anything like that go by. He's sending me for an MRI...guess I could ask after that.

- Kcwhippet - 07-29-2003

The anterior attachment is at the front of the knee behind the patella, and posterior is at the rear near the PCL. If it hurts in the front, it's anterior. Bucko's an expert at this, having had a similar experience back just before 9/11.

- Innkeeper - 07-29-2003

Will try to cheer you up by sending recipes.

That is, would if I could. Did you change your address?

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-29-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 07-29-2003

Good luck with the physical therapy and recovery. I tripped over a doorstep back in April and landed hard on my right knee. My leg was swollen from knee to ankle for some weeks but is back to normal now.

- Bucko - 07-29-2003

PT can help, but it has been my experience that most of my patients ultimately go for arthroscopic surgery..... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 07-29-2003

Thanks for all of your good wishes. I will not be surprised if surgery is in my future. At least the medication is making it hurt less and I got a good night's sleep for the first time in weeks. IK, I'll send you my e-mail address. Thanks!

- Thomas - 07-29-2003

Georgie,

If I can throw in my best wishes, and my proverbial two cents: unless you cannot walk, unless you are in such pain as makes you cry, unless you have no alternative, DO NOT opt for knee surgery--arthroscopic or otherwise.

Take it from one who has a floating knee cartilage and who has done a lot of homework after having had surgery recommended; it is not a great alternative in many, many cases.

Oh, and thanks for the book plug elsewhere on the board. One of the things about recipes, mine anyway, is that i hardly ever prepare them the same way. For instance, I have come up with what I think are better ways to make pasta and beans, yellow rice dishes, a great vegetarian risotto, and others--maybe I need to update the book!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-29-2003).]

- winoweenie - 07-29-2003

Does I gets another autoographeded copy?WW

- Georgie - 07-29-2003

Well, my alcohol ban lasted, let's see, not quite 24 hours. I had dinner with some special friends this evening at my favorite Spanish-Portugese place and they brought along a big bottle of Woodbridge Pinot Grigio. Well, I just couldn't be rude, now, could I? Besides, I had never tasted a Pino Grigio. So I just had one glass and I seem to be fine. I loved the wine with the shrimp entree I had. I wouldn't have had it had I taken the heavy duty pain medicine the doctor gave me; I've taken only the anti-inflammatory which is helping. I'd rather avoid the could-be-habit-forming pain pills anyway. Good wine, good food, good friends! (and no pain!) What could be better?