WineBoard
Aaarrrggghhh!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Aaarrrggghhh!!!! (/thread-13028.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Bucko - 11-18-2000

So much for the person who wants to be the next Commander-In-Chief.

Quote:

In what can only be described as a blatant and outrageous display of coldblooded hypocrisy, Gore Democrats - specifically counseled and directed by the veep’s campaign - tonight rejected the votes of some 1,000 U.S. military personnel, thumbing their noses at Americans serving in defense of the nation.

As all of Florida's sixty-seven counties gathered last night to tally overseas absentee ballots, Gore campaign-trained operatives descended on each location with explicit instructions for disqualifying - on techicalities - as many military ballots as possible.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2000/11/17/232010.shtml

- Innkeeper - 11-18-2000

Couldn't agree with you more, Bucko!

- hotwine - 11-19-2000

No kidding. The man and his cronies are truly desparate. How in the world would he ever be able to command any respect?

- winoweenie - 11-19-2000

Do as several of us guys here in desert did, call your senators` office and complain, and E mail your local papers` editorial dept. An absolutely shameless act. What is even more discraceful is that now he`s also using those same dissallowed votes as part of his antics to keep the hand-vote-counting alive. winoweenie

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-19-2000).]

- RAD - 11-19-2000

Bucko, my God, man--never in my life have I read such a biased, one-sided quote hiding under the guise of "journalism."

And newsmax.com as a NEWS SOURCE? Again, sir, the site is running BANNER ADS to "Stop Gore's Election Theft" and "Expose Voter Fraud." If we can agree about anything, I think it is that no reputable news organization would run such biased, nonpartisan fluff on their site. 'Nuff said.

As for who might be the next Commander-in-Chief: were I in the armed services, I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for a man who VOLUNTARILY went to Vietnam (Gore) than for someone who had some political strings pulled to get into the National Guard (Bush) and then never even completed his duties there.

The fact of the matter is, many military ballots did not have a postmark, a fact that even Republicans recognize (http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/18/military.ballots/index.html). The law states that ALL absentee ballots, whether from civilian expatriates or from overseas military personnel (the latter of which is all to easy a case for anyone on either side to shroud in souped-up political rhetoric) must be postmarked by a certain date. Many, regrettably, bear no postmark, and as such are suspect.

First, this is in no form or fashion a directive from the Democrats; the LAW simply states that ALL absentee ballots MUST be postmarked by a certain date. No postmark, no vote. An unfortunate error, yes.

Second, this is in no way related to the recount in certain counties, which many trigger-happy, easily inflamed Republicans would like to believe. Florida LAW stated that a recount MUST occur due to the closeness of the margin separating the two candidates, plain and simple.

Finally, before you Republicans jump to conclusions yet again--no, I am not a Democrat.

Thank God we're not having this discussion at someone's home with a few bottles of wine! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD

- Bucko - 11-19-2000

A whole mailbag of votes came from an aircraft carrier, certified by a letter from the postal clerk as to date, but no postmarks. The votes were denied. This is just plain wrong, I don't care how you try to slice it. It is dirty politics. Now we go to court tomorrow where six democrat appointed judges decide who will be president -- well duh, I wonder how that will play out?

I have no respect for Clinton as C-I-C, nor Gore, nor Bush. As I said, I was for McCain -- he had mud on his boots. Gore was a REMF. If you have been military, then you know what I mean on both counts. At least Bush has been taking a higher road in all of this mess, IMHO.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 11-19-2000

On top of all that Bush will listen to his advisors and his cabinett members. And those he picks will be very intelligent people. I would anticipate that the Bush executive branch would not have much difficulty recieving the advise and consent of the Senate.

And while Gore would probably not have much of a problem setting up his executive branch either, I really distrust his decision making process. I base that on his previous record and on anecdotal evidence from his contemporaries, both democrats and republicans (according to information I've gotten from NPR - National Public Radio).

I sure hope W wins............

{Republican enough for ya, IK?}

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-19-2000).]

- RAD - 11-19-2000

Bucko, I don't have to be in the military to understand either than McCain had mud on his boots or that Gore was an REMF. I certainly know what both mean. And for the record, I was a McCain supporter until he was knocked out of the race. Let's not resort to ad hominem attacks, even "covert" ones.

I have no military service, and certainly respect those that do. If Bush remaining silent on his service duties amounts to "taking the high road," so be it.

As to the mailbag of votes from an entire aircraft carrier certified by a postal clerk: I've yet to read this tidbit, and I'm hoping your source isn't Newsmax. In any event, as per the CNN article that I posted (again, I have no military service, so I cannot speak to this personally), "Military postal regulations require that a postmark be affixed." Clearly, some weren't. Is this the fault of those sevicemen and women who voted? Of course not. It would appear that someone above them screwed up. But if one is to stoop to the level of conspiracy (or the comical) and suggest with such military-laden verbiage as Dan Frisa uses in the newsmax.com article that "Gore campaign-trained operatives descended on each location with explicit instructions for disqualifying - on techicalities - as many military ballots as possible"--then I would suggest that it is EMMINENTLY more reasonable (again, operating under the pretense of conspiracy and the comical) that republicans engaged in a last-minute Operation Roundup, corralling as many Bush votes as possible, to submit them claiming that "we didn't have time to postmark these, despite military regulations."

RAD

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 11-19-2000).]

- Thomas - 11-19-2000

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Hasn't anyone out there learned that unless you know the facts all you have is the spin--one way or another, but spin it is.

As far as the counting goes: a close reading of the postmark debate turns up conflicting regulations between federal and Florida; one says no postmark, no vote; the other says no postmark is acceptable. That is a fact! So both "camps" have an argument; that is why we have courts.

The news media has never been and likely never will be objective in this so-called Democracy (don't even ask why I say so-called). But even worse, as RAD points out, there are many organizations online posing as news outfits.

And why if so many of us dislike both Gush and Bore were they the nominees? Anyone can answer that gets a Petrus from winoweenie.

- winoweenie - 11-19-2000

What Foodie meant to say (My Clairvoincy says ) is WW will donate one from his Petrus Labels collection, vintage of your Choice. What a guy! winoweenie

- RAD - 11-19-2000

To err is human; to forgive, divine.

I'll certainly admit to the former; now all Bucko has to do is allow for his own apotheosis! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, my intent was not to offend anyone, especially you, Buck-man.

Waving the white flag--since wine is MUCH more important than politics!

RAD

- Bucko - 11-19-2000

RAD, others -- I love the verbage, no insult, assault or anything taken as such. I deliberately brought up the admittedly volatile subject to get other people's thoughts. I am torn myself. I am really disappointed in the actions of both parties. When this happened in the 1960 election, one party stepped back "for the good of the country." These two are going at it like a cheap barroom (ask WW about cheap barrooms) cat fight. It is embarrassing to me as an American.

I hope that this will lead to election reform, especially in the formation of a national ballot -- it works in Canada, why not here? Any thoughts?

P.S. I nominate WW as a write-in for the next election. ;-)

Bucko

- RAD - 11-19-2000

AMEN to a national ballot! One unified standard would put a lot of this nonsense to rest.

Currently sipping a wonderful Matanzas Creek Merlot (funny how this always helps); will post a TN in a few.

RAD

I second the motion for WW!

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 11-19-2000).]

- mrdutton - 11-19-2000

My goodness I feel like a cheater.......

All day, today, I've been gulping Prosecco and Pino Gris (the former from Italy the latter from Alsace).

On top of all of that I've been eating lump crab meat, stone crab claws, snow crab claws and more and more lump crab meat in a dip-like form with sour cream, cream cheese, mayo, salt, pepper, and some grated asiago cheese........ (kinda like crab imperial)

That and cheering for Bal'more when they beat Dallas and then cheering for Denver because they barely sqeeeeeeked out of a loss and ended up the winners.........

What else could be more important?

- Drew - 11-20-2000

...and you talk about envy? While you were gulpin, slurping, cheering, eating, etc., I was driving home! You got to get your priorities in order. By the way Mike, you keep gulpin all that crab, cheese, mayo and the like and you're gonna turn into a "Fat B"

green as they come...Drew [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- chittychattykathy - 11-20-2000

Drew, it's not as if MrD's putting Avocados on his crab or anything truly fattening like that!

- winoweenie - 11-20-2000

CCK, Why didn`t you post MrD on the Dungeness you were eating whist sippin` a Fluer? Seems a lil` unfair that we were eating lobster tacos with the freshest salsa on the face-of-the and consuming a 95 Biale Old Crane Zin and the "D"-Man was savoring not one,not 2, but THREE different types of crab!And by the way to steal an old line "If nominated I will not run, If elected I will not serve". Pass the " Profile " winoweenie

- Drew - 11-20-2000

Don't believe him, CCK, I know there's avacado somewhere around that thar crab!!!!

Drew

CCK and Rad, " E " me. I`ve lost your e`s

CCK and Rad, " E " me. I`ve lost your e`s and not smart enuf to pull`em from whatever. WW