WineBoard
samos offline - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: samos offline (/thread-13027.html)

- brappy - 04-09-2008

Once again, we had a wonderful time at Samos in Baltimore. It was my turn to take notes. A duty in which I kept forgetting I had. So the notes are more impressions than they are notes.

In attendance, we had Jane(Wonders), Michael Rutledge and soon to be wife Cindy, James(big time poster over on Garr's wine site) and Jeannette(his better half) Roscoe, and Hattie and myself.

The food was great as always. Michael got the kitchen tastes on everything, so hopefully they didn't mind us closing down the place.

The wines:
1. Sparkling Wine .... "Sofia" made by Coppola winery. Lots of fruit, good acidity, reminded me of an inexpensive but tasty Cava.

2. Cautivo Rioja blanco '06..... Have no idea what the varietal is here. Great fruit, tropical with a creamy overtone. The palate adds some serious acidity on the finish.

3. Carr Pinot Gris '06 ... This wine was served blind. Not one of us even came close to calling the grape varietal, region, etc., etc.... My guess was either a Rhone white or a very pleasant Chablis. Even after being told this was New World, I was lost. Very nice summer quaffer.

4. Pazo Senorans Albarino, '03 Rias Biaxas ... Great complexity, dead ringer for a white Rhone, Heavier body than traditional Albarino, Great wine.

5. Planots, Priorat, '05 ... 50/50 blend of Garnacha/Carinena. Big, bold, tons of fruit. Only those that don't like flavor will not like this wine. Great, long finish with perfectly balanced acid.

6. Clos Erasmus, '03, Priorat ... Unfortunately, mildly corked.

7. Chateau Bertineau St.-Vincent Lalande de Pomerol, '98 ... Totally corked!!

8. Chateau Lachesnaye, Haut-Medoc, '90 Old, past its prime but not quite dead. livened up a bit after some air contact, but still.....

9. La Bastide Dauzac, '00, Margaux ... Not a bad wine but not exciting either. No weight to the wine at all. Good balance if not a touch too much acid.

10. Banfi Brunello Di Montalcino '97, ... Could a wine get any better? This wine has aged itself right into perfect balance.

11. Vina Valoria, Rioja, '94 ... I didn't expect this wine to turn out as well as it did. Tha nose and palate showed great balance with the red cherries and acid. Just enough oxidation to let you know the wine is ageing beautifully. I looked for another when I returned home..... I was disappointed.

12. Noe, Pedro Ximenez, 30 years old ... A beautiful ending, wonderfully smooth with that nutty, sweet flavor. Great balance.

I may have missed a wine or two. Like I said, I kept forgetting I was supposed to take notes. We have a great time every time we go to Samos. And every time gets better.

Hopefully, others will get to join us for the next one.

mark

- wondersofwine - 04-10-2008

Thanks, Mark for posting both places. I will add what I can, particularly on the wines I brought. Mike said the COPPOLA SOFIA BLANC DE BLANC had been open several days. Surprisingly it still had a few bubbles. I thought it was pretty good for the price (saw it on the web for anywhere from $11.85, to $18 to $23.) The Blanc de Blanc Cuvee is made from Pinot Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscat grapes and not as dry as some sparklers. Might do for a wedding reception where some guests prefer an off-dry sparkling wine (and Mike was auditioning it for that purpose.)

I believe he said the HEDGES CMS red blend from Washington had been open a few days also. This was one of the wines you overlooked. I'm not sure if it was the 2004 vintage? It is predominantly from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes with about 4-5% Syrah. This was a good QPR and is pretty reliable year-to-year.

I had posted on the Cautivo previously so will duplicate that note. The guys picked up on the slight oak influence and Mike suggested pineapple and melon flavors. Pineapple works for me as I didn't find any fruit descriptors that seemed more apt although I originally tasted it as baked apple. This is from Bodegas Heredad de Baroja, a producer whose red wines I have been enjoying for several years. I don't have many Rieslings stocked up (though may acquire more before summer) so I think this Rioja blanco and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc will be my go to white wines this summer. I originally bought two bottles of the Cautivo and have been back for five more. Carolina Wine Company had it at $12.99 and reduced it to $7.99 on sale.
My previous note on it:
Bodegas Heredad de Baroja, elvillar de Alava, Spain
have liked Baroja reds--now a very attractive white for $7.99!
13% alcohol
2006 CAUTIVO RIOJA BLANCO
Medium gold color (yellow-green according to one description of Rioja blanca wines) with transparency. Chewy, rich, oak-tinged flavor with baked apple and hint of butterscotch. Enough acid to provide structure and balance but my guess is that this is meant to be enjoyed soon after bottling. Tastes crisper chilled and more "butterscotchy" when at room temp. Pleasant either way. Nice with chicken/broccoli/cheese dish over rice. I'm not the only one attracted to this wine--it is selling well after Saturday tastings at Carolina Wine Company. Grapes?? Viura? Probably.

I liked the Albarino and found it a bit less austere than others I have had in line with Mark's description as heavier bodied than traditional Albarino. Albarinos would be another great summer sipper if I come across some.

The 2006 Carr Pinot Gris was from Turner Vineyard, Santa Rita Hills, California. It had stumped me and others at a blind tasting at Zely and Ritz Restaurant in Raleigh. I find it very attractive and I normally don't care for Pinot Grigio or Pinot Gris. It sells for about $18 but may be hard to find (the Raleigh-area distributor sold out of it.)

The Bordeaux wines didn't shine this time.

A shame about the Clos Erasmus being mildly corked. Hopefully Mark's other bottles of this will not be flawed. I read up a bit about this wine. It is produced from four vineyard sites with a total vineyard surface of only 2 hectares and has never produced more than 140 cases per year. It is from Garnacha or Grenache grapes--partly old vines and the producer is Daphne Glorian. Jancis Robinson says on her website that Clos Erasmus is named after the priory established in the hills above Tarragona in the 12th century by Carthusians who arrived from Provence, possibly bringing Garnacha vines with them.

Several picked the 1997 BANFI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO that I brought as their wine of the night. To me, the nose was very Bretty when first opened and poured (it wasn't decanted.) The palate had less Brett than the nose. When I went back for a few sips later, I didn't notice so much Brett on the nose and I'm not sure if it was because it had dissipated with air or because I became accustomed to the smell. Before the offline I had looked up this wine on Cellar Tracker and the ratings ranged from 83 or 84, a bunch of 88s to 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 and even a 98. The average from 69 notes was 89.8 so most found it to be very good to outstanding.

However, my wine of the night (WOTN) was the Rioja Gran Reserva that Mark brought and opened near the end of the evening (we were there about four hours.) From his notes it must have been the 1994 VINA VALORIA GRAN RESERVA. I thought it was elegant, tasty, mellow and well balanced.

- Thomas - 04-11-2008

Is Samos in Baltimore a Greek restaurant? I hope so. If so, how's the food?

- wondersofwine - 04-11-2008

Yes, Samos is a Greek restaurant on Oldham (off Eastern Avenue) which is the Greektown section of Baltimore. They don't have a liquor license so charge $2.00 per person! corkage (which they may not have even put on our bill.) We always order the "Tour of Samos" which went up this time from under $19 to $22.50 per person. It includes pita bread with Tzatziki (that dip is addictive),
shrimp, I believe some calamari, chicken on skewers, lamb, potato wedges, dolmas (grape-leaf dish that is not a favorite with Brappy or me) and probably some other things I am forgetting and apple fritters or other sweet dessert. It is delicious and copious quantities. (I forgot to mention the salad at the start of the dinner.)

Brappy (Mark) and Harriet got there early to assure a table. They usually have takeout but when they get really busy they put out a sign--No takeout. They had a line of people waiting for tables partway through the evening (on a Thursday night). I looked up and remarked "There's a line for tables" and one of the guys said "Yes, out the door and do you think I care!" We were there about four hours and no one on the staff tried to rush us out so they could turn over the table.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-11-2008).]

- Thomas - 04-11-2008

"We were there about four hours and no one on the staff tried to rush us out so they could turn over the table."

That's how I remember Greek restaurants in Greece...thanks, WOW.

Next time you do it, make it Greek wines.

We could maybe round up a couple sample Greek wines but I don't think we would want to restrict it to only Greek wines. It's an opportunity to share prized wines or new discoveries with others.

- TheEngineer - 04-11-2008

Great notes!!! and I agree with Foodie. I remember those two hour lunches and three our dinners in greece......mmmmmmm

I'm traveling to Provence late July with my sister and a group from Raleigh area under the guidance of a restaurant owner originally from Provence. He has lined up several meals at Michelin-starred restaurants and has warned us to be prepared for three-hour lunches.