WineBoard
No good deed goes unpunished. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: No good deed goes unpunished. (/thread-12928.html)

- Georgie - 07-05-2003

Ok, I give up. It's hot as blazes here today. As I drove home from the hotel after sweating all day with no AC, I saw one of the employees from the supermarket down the road from me beginning her walk home. I don't particularly care for this girl (in fact I avoid her line) but into my head popped the idea to gove her a lift. I know she lives pretty far away from the store in the next town. My car AC was cranked up to the max and it felt good. I figured it was my chance to do a random act of kindness. She was walking in the opposite direction; I had to go around the block to pick her up. As i was rounding the block, and moving some stuff off the passenger seat so that she could sit, my water bottle (yes, water) fell over and I tried to catch it. As I did, I managed to side-swipe a parked car. It was an old, beat-up car with no paint left on it and I caught the chrome around its back wheel well with the side of my car and scccrraapped the whole side of my car from front wheel to back. I left plenty of paint on the other car's chrome around the wheel, but no other damage to it. In fact I think it IMPROVED the look of the other car. My car is a mess. Luckily the owner of the car said not to worry about his ratty old car; it didn't matter. Needless to say, I was so aggravated I went home opened up a bottle of Selaks SB and let the girl walk home. Isn't there something wrong with this picture? Is anyone up there paying attention, for cryin' out loud?

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-05-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 07-05-2003

The Lord punished you for judging her! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 07-05-2003

Oh don't even go there, honey, or you could be needing another operation! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/mad.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 07-05-2003

Whew, the lady's got up a head of steam...

- Georgie - 07-05-2003

Just stand clear....

- winoweenie - 07-05-2003

That'll teach you to carry that stuff. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]. Jes' kiddin there teach. What a blasted bummer and all in the context of " love thy Neighbor ". You'd probably get a gold star iff'n you sideswiped her. WW

- Bucko - 07-05-2003

There is something to be said for speeding by and flipping the bird......

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug......

Buck up, Joisey Girl!

- Georgie - 07-06-2003

Ok..I'm human now. I went to church this morning and basically asked God why he seemed to be on the beach when I was trying to do something nice for somebody. If I ever make it to heaven He's got some 'splainin' to do!

- winedope1 - 07-07-2003

I think you should still get a gold star for thinking of it Georgie! WD

- Georgie - 07-07-2003

Thanks, WD! If you folks knew me better you'd know that this backfired good deed is just one of many over the years. There was the time I offered to let a woman lugging a big suitcase down the road to leave it at my house until she could make her connection to come pick it up. It ended upthat she was a homeless person that camped out on my front porch for a week until I finally got the police to get her to leave. Then there was the time that a little boy at school who had no family but his mom needed help. She had to go to the hospital for back surgery and there was no one to care for this child. So he came to stay with me. Poor kid was so screwed up he had nightmares and wet the bed every night. When I took him to the hospital to visit his mom she complained that his hair wasn't combed right and that his scout uniform was ironed poorly. I forget how I finally got relieved of that duty.Then there was the cat I adopted from the SPCA that sprayed all over my house, was loaded with fleas and had a respiratory infection. After paying a vet to examine him I returned to the shelter and the attendant got huffy with me for returning him. I'll never forget her saying, "C'mon Kitty, I'll find you a better home." I wanted to slap her! But the cat had the last laugh after all, because I came down with a case of ringworm from him! So you see, this latest incident is just sort of par for the course with me. You'd think I'd learn by now.

- winoweenie - 07-07-2003

Hate likr the blazes to be the house-cat in that jernt!. wwww(they'd paint me black)

- Bucko - 07-07-2003

Kill 'em all, sort out the innocent ones later.

- Georgie - 07-07-2003

Quit it, Bucko, you're scaring the kids.

- randery - 07-07-2003

Rough day, Georgie. Happened to me. I once helped a "little old lady" with her sewing machine. I picked the case up by the handle and the top separated from the bottom (and the machine part was attached to the bottom) and wrecked the %$#@%^*^^% thing. This lady called me a #$@(*&)(^ idiot because everyone knows (except me, evidently) that you never, ever pick anything up by the handle. I almost offered to pay for that piece of *$#@ but...nay. I think WW would have approved.

- Georgie - 07-08-2003

There oughta be a law...

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

About two weeks ago someone scraped the side of my car (4 years old) and didn't leave a note. I know it happened at my apartment complex because I had put gas in after work and the gas tank is on the same side of the car and no scrapes. Drove right on home. Next morning I come out and the side with the gas tank is all scraped up (with traces of brown or dark red paint.) I've been looking at other cars parked near mine suspiciously ever since and I'm tempted to take a tape measure to one car and see how high up the bent chrome strip is from the ground and how wide the strip is and compare it to the height and width of the scrape on my car. If they match up, then I guess I call in a forensic expert for paint samples!
Wish people would just own up to their misdeeds. Heck, I won't even have the car paid off until February of 2004!
Sorry about your misfortune, Georgie. I also got into a frightening situation with a sergeant I took pity on in Germany because he seemed lonely. When things got spooky and he didn't seem to know the meaning of boundaries, I went to the Catholic chaplain for help because this sergeant was involved with the Catholic chapel. The padre said this was a good family man and I must have been leading him on! However, he did help extricate me from a scary situation. (Among other things, and they were numerous, the guy claimed to carry a loaded gun in his glove compartment and I was afraid he might shoot out the tires on my car if he didn't aim the gun at me.)

- Georgie - 07-14-2003

Shudder!

- randery - 07-14-2003

This guy is a good family man and involved w/ the chapel? Jeez.