WineBoard
Too tense to drink; math skills improve! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Too tense to drink; math skills improve! (/thread-12897.html)

- mrdutton - 11-04-2001

This morning Steelers were 5 - 1. This morning Ravens were 4 -3. Later this afternoon (at about 4 PM Eastern Standard) things look this way:

Steelers 5 - 2; Ravens 5 - 3.

I was too tense to drink anything but water; no wine, no tasting notes. Note this though, Ravens keep on winning!!

Now I'll have a hot bowl of some kind of beefy soup and a bottle of Shiraz. Then maybe I'll go soak in a hot tub for a couple of hours. There were some tense moments in that game, for sure. Matt Stover is my hero!

Go RAVENS!

- Innkeeper - 11-04-2001

How much did the Ravens pay a certain nameless kicker to shank four field goals?

- zenda2 - 11-04-2001

Indeed...I understand said kicker tried to hang himself after the game. But couldn't kick the chair out from under himself.

4 missed FG's is God's way of saying 'not this time'.

- mrdutton - 11-04-2001

Zenda you sure got that one on the mark. IK, you surprise me with your suggestion, OH MY!

Sorry, all I can do is chuckle.

After all, a win is a win.

So the Steelers won the game for the Ravens. That much less work the Ravens had to do and that much more time they have to learn just how much more work they, the Ravens, have to do.

This was not an offensive game from any point of view. Statistically the Steelers out played the Ravens 333 to 190 yards or something very close to that. Defense was working hard on both sides and both sides tried hard to win.

The Steelers have a whole bunch of Super Bowl Rings. The Ravens have one and are trying hard for number two. Frankly, I'll side with the low man on that totem pole.

Matt Stover has not missed a field goal in such a long time I can't remember. Oh, a NFL record has he! Gosh I almost forgot that small point. He sure didn't hurt the results of today's game, compared to the Steelers field goal "star".

- wondersofwine - 11-05-2001

Don't know what happened to Kris Brown(Steelers kicker). At University of Nebraska he connected on 124 consecutive Points after Touchdown and 17 consecutive field goals. He accounted for 338 points during his kicking career at NU.

I don't have a real favorite between Steelers and Ravens--go Raiders! (And Kansas City finally picked up another win).

- zenda2 - 11-05-2001

KC has an unfortunate 10 year tradition of horrible kickers, which is why I knew that old joke about 'Lin Elliot was unable to hang himself because he couldn't kick the chair out'. After Hall of Famer Jan Stenarud and Nick Lowery (who SHOULD be in the HOF someday) we got spoiled...but it's been downhill ever since. This year, with out 2 and 6 record...ai yi yi...well, nobody can say we're 'bandwagon fans' in KC.

- barnesy - 11-05-2001

The steelers should have known better than to get a kicker from Nebraska...since when has Nebraska EVER had a kicking game....

Look at their scores....most are probably divisible by 7.....

Barnesy

- wondersofwine - 11-06-2001

I do remember in one Nebraska-Oklahoma game when Nebraska was having a sterling year, that the Huskers were about to punt and I remarked to my companion that our punter had kicked very few punts that year because we kept moving the ball and scoring. Then NU pulled off a fake punt and got a first down. So he still didn't have to punt.

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2001

YEAH, RAIDERS!!!

- mrdutton - 11-06-2001

My Mother is a great fan of the Raiders. Reason being is the Quarterback - Gannon.

He is an alumnus of the Univeristy of Delware. Because of that reason and that reason alone, the Raiders are a GREAT Pro Football team to her.