WineBoard
What's your wine of the year? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What's your wine of the year? (/thread-12889.html)

- Thraz - 12-25-2005

I mean a wine that is obviously really good, but also not the usual suspects. If I had had a Petrus that had blown me away this year (which I have not) (I mean I'm sure it would have blown me away, I just have not had a Petrus), it would still not qualify as wine of the year for me. In order to qualify, it needs an element of reality to it - a wine that I would purchase on my own, not an expense account thing or a "why-don't-I-try-life-without-a-car" type purchase. To each their own criteria of course. Basically, the only rule is: you know it when you taste it. So, what's yours?

Mine: Dupere-Barrera Chateauneuf du Pape 2001. I've posted on the winemaker in the South of France forum before, it's a small negociant house that also owns a small bit of vineyard (their Chateauneuf du Pape is all negociant though). They were named winemakers of the year by a well-known French publication, so they are not unknowns anymore, but they have only been making wine for a few years. This was $23 in 2003, in a store in NJ. I think I saw the 2003 for $30 in CA, although I have not had it. Amazing black fruit on the nose, and a taste I just can't describe - which is why I have not posted on it before. Beautiful and incredibly smooth from beginning to end - three or four different mouthfeels and associated tastes in different parts of the mouth at different times, including a very, very long finish. All distinct, so I'm sure they all have names, I just don't know them. I'm amazed everytime I have this wine. It clearly could use more time, I've just been lacking discipline because it's so good now. I have just one bottle left, my new year's resolution will be to keep it for six years (it's the resolution that keeps on giving), and to buy a case of the 2004.

[This message has been edited by Thraz (edited 12-25-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 12-25-2005

Just one??? Damn....that's tough....

My wine of the year:

1990 Chapoutier Hermitage. Just a pretty wine that is showing really well right now. I've managed for find a few more and have squirreled them away for a while.

First runner up: Compte Armand Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 1er Cru. Showing well and better than the 2002 in fact. Not as much juice but definitely a more complete package.

Second runner up, 2001 Chateau Rieussec. Just pure major. Wonderful bottle.

- dananne - 12-26-2005

Our "wine of the year" was the '02 Ken Wright Nysa Vineyard Pinot Noir from Oregon. Just a step behind was a Penner-Ash PN, either '01 or '02.

Our favorite "values" of the year are the '02 Queen of Hearts PN ($10) and The Magnificent Wine Co. "House Wine" red blend ($12).

- robr - 12-26-2005

Picking one is sooo difficult...

I would say Cartlidge and Brown pinot noir. At about $12 a bottle you can't find a better pinot for the price.

- tw - 12-27-2005

Mine would have to be a 2001 Duckhorn Monitor ledge vineyard cab. I think retail was $90.

- wondersofwine - 12-29-2005

I'm going with the 2002 Gary Farrell Russian River Valley Pinot Noir for domestic wine. For imported wines I'll go with the 2002 Digioia-Royer Chambolle Musigny and the 2002 Frederic Magnien Morey-St-Denis "Herbuottes."

- Drew - 12-30-2005

Two wines stick out as WOTY for me.
'97 Pirramimma Shiraz
'03 Rosenblum Aparicio Vineyard

Best Values were:

'03 Twenty Rows "The Grappler"
'03 Pilar Box Red
and the bunch of Spaniards I've been touting.

DRew

- winoweenie - 12-30-2005

Can't really recall. As stated meeny times 'afore " The memory is the 2nd thing to go ". WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- shewelch - 01-04-2006

Mine was Casa Nuestra 2003 Napa Valley Meritage- especially for sentimental reasons on our Napa trip!

- Kcwhippet - 01-05-2006

I'd bet you'd think much more highly of it if you had let it rest for a few more years.

- stevebody - 01-05-2006

Our WOTY here at VinElla was the Herencia Remondo "La Montesa" Rioja by Alvaro Palacios. Elegant, graceful Rioja at $15.99 a bottle! Absolutely beautiful stuff with a GREAT story behind it. If you find it, I can't recommend it highly enough.

- VouvrayHead - 01-18-2006

i can't help but give you 4 answers.

The best wine i tasted all year was
Chappoutier Hermitage Le Pavillon 1998...
JUST beginning to show well. such a mouthfull of wine.. blackberry, smoke and a dozen other things... of course it's totally unaffordable.

the two best deals:
Cosme Palacio y Hermano 2001 Rioja. SOOO elegant and subtle and delicious for $10-$13. It's a pinot in a tempranillo skin [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] if anyone sees any left out there, buy a case of it!
St. Urbans-Hoff 2004 Mosel qba. $10 and just the perfect little mosel. lively, dancing acidity lifted even higher by a tiny spritzig character. some stonefruit, some sweetness. i could drink it by the gallon. kabinett and spatlese are great, too... but they'll be better in a few years and cost more.
2002 lieu-dit rosnay vouvray is runner up [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

wine i'm most excited about for the future that's pretty affordable:
2004 earthquake (michael and david vineyards) petite sirah. HOLY COW!!! THIS wine is HUUUGE!!! it'll knock you down and it's only $20. and experience now, and will just get better as it gets more approachable. better than the 02 or 03. coffee, black fruit, chocolate... it'll stain your teeth and your soul :>

- wondersofwine - 01-18-2006

Glad to see continuing good reports on the 2004 German Rieslings. I'm not sure I've had any of the '04s yet.

- TheEngineer - 01-19-2006

I've had only a few, including my fav, vollenweider, Wolfer Goldgrube. This time it was a Riesling Spatlese Portz and it was very nice. After the 2003 vintage, this one is a lot more classical in style. There is a good amount of acidity in there and I think (generalization on three wine should not be considered accurate....but), they seem to have a nice steely structure to them. 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004, all very different (had a vertical of them one night and the differences were significant to even our collectively untrained palates).

- wondersofwine - 01-19-2006

Still wishing the Vollenweider wines were available around here. I loved the only one I tried--so pure in focus.

- VouvrayHead - 01-20-2006

I agree... I wasn't a big fan of the '03s, but the '04s I've had are more to my liking... More steely mineral and taut.

Obviously early, but based on reading, the harvest in '05 looks very promising as well...