WineBoard
Changed dinner plans......... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Changed dinner plans......... (/thread-1283.html)

- Drew - 12-23-2000

We're going to my sisters xmas eve and she has added lobster to the already planned menu of filet mignon which I had planned the wine. Originally I had planned to bring 1 bottle of Fox Creek Vixen sparkling Shiraz, 1 of 98'Piramimma Shiraz, and 1 bottle of 98'Greg Norman "Limestone Coast" Shiraz. Most who will be imbibing are red wine drinkers but with the addition of lobster I feel I want to bring a bottle of a white Burgundy type Calif. Chardonnay like 97' M. Trinchero Founder's Estate. What do you all think?

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-23-2000

Bein from lobsta country, can assure you that lobster and oak are like oil and water. Bring a Maconaisse.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 12-23-2000).]

- Drew - 12-23-2000

IK, My wine guy tells me that the M. Trinchero Founder's Estate is not oaked and is similar to a French White Burgundy...is he wrong?

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-24-2000

It could be just fine then. Not familiar with it. The antennae go up when California Chardonnay is mentioned. Admittedly there are some nice unoaked ones available.

- winoweenie - 12-25-2000

IK, Your antenna went up? That`s where those derned subliminal messages ( Drink SW`s...Drink SW`s ) were comin` from. winoweenie

- Drew - 12-25-2000

Well IK, if I ever suggest a chardonnay again please send some friends of Foodie to Baltimore, you know...the ones with black pin striped suits with violin cases, and have them break both my arms so I can't pick up a bottle! The M. Trinchero Founders Estate had just enough oak to ruin it for me. Very one dimensional wine with a long, bitter (oak influenced) finish. I was the only one drinking this $25, wood project wine in a bottle. This was my last purchase of Calif. Chardonnay.....I swear!!!! ...and WW, I'm getting ever closer to running for an officers position in your fan club.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-26-2000

Hope ever-thin` else went well Drew.The menu sounded fan-tastamoniuos. Too bad you hadn`t invested your 25 smackers in a 1994 Dehlinger " Goldridge Vineyards " Pinot. Would`ve made the meal sing. Happy, Happy anywhoos! WW

- Bucko - 12-26-2000

Here is my note on the 98:

1998 M. Trinchero, Chardonnay, Founder's Estate, Napa Valley, $25, 3,123 cases. Apple butter and citrus aromas and flavors are enhanced by toasty nuances, a creamy mouthfeel and a long, clean finish. Drink over two years.

Sounds like different wines. You should have picked up a Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay from NZ -- would have worked well.

Bucko

- Drew - 12-26-2000

I should have picked up a red of any kind!

Drew

- jock - 12-27-2000

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/confused.gif[/img]
I absolutely agree that 98% of all California Chardonnay is either over-oaked, flabby or one-dimensional and 90% of it is all three. However, I think you are really short-changing yourself if you automatically eliminate all white wine as "sissy white".

The M. Trinchero is typical CA plonk. The only thing it has going for it is that it is cheap plonk. There is way too much very expensive plonk from California.

The best chardonnays come from France and there are a some from California and even one from Australia. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Giaconda from Australia it will blow you away. From California try to find Miura, Patz and Hall, Erich Russell, Schweiger and Paul Hobbs. They ain't cheap but they are great complex wines that actually compliment food.

A bottle of Giaconda or Miura with Lobster would be heaven as would any number fo white burgundies.

- Drew - 12-28-2000

and Jock who might you be directing your post to.....Drew or WW?

Drew

- jock - 12-30-2000

Whomever the shoe fits may wear it.

- winoweenie - 12-30-2000

Don`t know about you Drew-Boogs, but my lil` fat feet`ll be on the bricks EARLY in the A.M. lookin` for them there goodies. HAPPY NEW YARS`. winoweenie

- Bucko - 12-31-2000

Define cheap plonk...... the term is loosely used. Is something plonk because you don't like the style? For every person who thinks a wine is plonk, there is another who thinks the wine is quite good. Yes, I think most CA Chard is overoaked, but guess what, it sells. Why? Because a whole lot of people like that oak. Its not for me, but I am not one to tell someone what they should like. Trinchero is hardly what I would consider to be cheap plonk.

Bucko

- Drew - 01-01-2001

Bucko, I was going to go there but I decided to restrain. The Trinchero, I thought, was tasty on it's own but I didn't think it paired well with the lobster because of a little too much oak...not plonk though.

Drew

- Bucko - 01-01-2001

Drew, that was not meant as a confrontational post, rather a thought provoking post. Francophiles are quick to pull the trigger on CA wines, OZ wines, whatever. I was simply trying to make the point, trite as it may be, that one man's garbage is another man's treasure. That is why I never rate a wine, only describe them. My 92 pointer may be an 80 pointer for others. I was not poking at you, and I'm sorry if I offended......

CA Chard? I have preached on too much oak to winemakers over and over and get the same reply -- it sells. I had to laugh at myself recently. I was barrel tasting in Yakima Valley and tried Winery X's Chardonnay (no need to trash them). It was so horribly oaked that I had to pull splinters from the tongue. I smugly thought to myself "Who in the hell would drink this crap?" A nice couple standing behind me, tasting the same wine, stood there extolling the virtues of the wine, stating what lovely oak it had. Just another wake-up call for me.

Happy New Year to you,

Bucko

- jock - 01-02-2001

Drew and Bucko. You are right. My choice of terms was unfortunate and out-of-line.

The Trinchero is certainly not plonk and I should not have used that term.

My apologies to those who took offense and especially to M. Trinchero Vineyards.

- Drew - 01-02-2001

Jock, no personal offense taken. Wine's a passionate subject....that's why I love this board.

Drew