WineBoard
The Direct shipment issue - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The Direct shipment issue (/thread-12767.html)

- luis - 06-11-1999

Lets talk about the debate in congress over the issue of Direct shipment. We elected those people to make decisions for us. Everyone who wants to protect their right to choices in wine is needed to create a voice Congress can hear.

write your congressperson today!

anyones thoughts?

- n144mann - 06-12-1999

Already have done it!! Glad to see there are others out there who are willing to do it also!
Nancy

- amshih - 06-14-1999

I wrote all my representatives and enclosed a wine cork with each letter (suggested by Free The Grapes -- I just thought it was really cute!).

One other thing you can do is inform other wine lovers about this issue and encourage them to speak up. I did a talk at my local wine tasting last month on direct shipping, and I was amazed at how many people were unaware that all of this stuff was going on in Congress (and that there are currently two consumer lawsuits on this issue as well, in Indiana and in Texas!). I even gave them prewritten letters to send to their reps.

Free the wine!

- amshih - 06-16-1999

Well, you wanted to talk about the direct shipment issue, so let's talk...

Here's a post from the CEO of the WSWA (wholesalers' lobby) on the WineToday.com board. Comments? Rebuttals? And as always, don't just post your comments here -- write your reps. Just posting here is "preaching to the choir" and doesn't do a whole lotta good.

“When WSWA first aired its concern about underage access to alcohol via direct shipments more than two years ago, our detractors called it a “red herring.” While we have known all along that underage persons would exploit this uncontrolled access, it was difficult to offer proof of this clandestine problem. That is no longer the case, and anyone who claims that kids aren’t using direct shipments as an easy way to get alcohol are putting short-term business interests ahead of their common sense and social responsibility.
In recent weeks, the following unsolicited examples have come to light, independent of any stings by news media or attorneys general:
 In Philadelphia, a high school student had two cases of liquor alcohol direct shipped to her, just in time for her to host an “all you can drink” party.
 In Alabama, the parents of a 17-year-old are suing a direct shipper for shipping beer to their underage son.
 In Columbus Ohio, a high school freshman said in a television interview that his classmates frequently order alcohol direct shipped to them.
 In Maryland, a University of Maryland dormitory Resident Assistant testified before a State Assembly committee that on-campus residents order alcohol direct shipped to their dorms.
Considering the explosive growth of Internet access and catalogue sales, these examples are the tip of a significant trend that, left unchecked, will raise the public’s ire and obliterate awareness of our successful efforts to reduce drunk driving and underage drinking. It is shortsighted, to say the least, to pretend that direct shipments are not being exploited by teens. These deliveries to kids play directly into the hands of those who want to ban alcohol marketing over the Internet, a medium that we believe has tremendous potential to reach new consumers and significantly expand overall sales - and to do it legally and in compliance with state law.
To preserve Internet marketing of alcohol beverages, we must self-police the activities that occur in cyberspace and at the same time vigorously promote legal ways to fulfill orders made through catalogues or the Internet.
We wholesalers are committed to legal fulfillment of orders generated through the Internet, catalogues or toll-free numbers. We believe working within state laws, and giving attorneys general the ability to enforce those laws, is in the best interest of all tiers of the industry. That is why we are, and will continue to be, strong supporters of the 21st Amendment Enforcement Act, which has been adopted by the U.S. Senate and is pending in the House.
Denying that young people do exploit this unregulated delivery system will blacken the eye of our industry, and will leave it to others to devise new regulations that none of us may want to work within.
I challenge those members of Wine Institute, the American Vintners Association and others who have spoken in support of responsible business practices to join with us in supporting efforts to prevent underage access and tax avoidance via direct shipment.

Sincerely,
Juanita D. Duggan
WSWA CEO”

- luis - 06-16-1999

That whole article is opinion and fear mongering. He states 4 very weak examples. Should we start an anti-liquor store campagne, and sight, "Every day in (your city incerted here)minors are (pick one - finding someone to buy for them/using fake IDs/not being carded at all/having legal friends buy for them)to obtain alcohol and use it irresponsibly.

Try this argument on. If direct shipment becomes illegal, it will encourage the opening of more liquor stores because that is the only way that legal adults will be able to buy alcohol. More liquor stores mean more oportunities for minors to obtain alcohol in the manor that they use most frequently. So buy trying to reduce underage drinking, our wise politicians are actually going to facilitate it.

But really the whole argument is mute because minor access to alcohol is not the issue. Its wholesaller monopolies that they are fighting for.

Today may be a good day for another round of letters to congress.

Regards all,
Matt