WineBoard
German Reds 2 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: German Reds 2 (/thread-1275.html)

- Rebecca1 - 04-10-2000

Okay, let's try this again...

I am hosting a German dinner party later this month and need to know what German Red wines are available to go w/ Rouladen(Beef) and Wiener Schnitzel (Pork). I am only familiar with the German white wines, Reisling and Gewurtztraminer. Please help, thanks!

- Innkeeper - 04-11-2000

Rebecca, your last request had four postings when the thread disappeared during a computer glitch on April 2. Sort of like a delayed April Fool's. The technicians have tried hard to retrieve it, and a couple of other threads lost at the same time. All to no avail. So I will try to reconstruct what was said.

First I came on and said the traditional way to go would be to serve Riesling with all of it. Riesling Kabinett with the pork or veal, and Rheinhessen or Rheingau Riesling Spatlese or Mosel Riesling Auslese with the beef. I also pointed out the Weiner Schnitzel is usually made with veal (tri-coated and sauteed gently in olive oil and lard, with with fresh lemon juice squeezed on just before serving).

Then Randy C. came along. He is the Beverage Manager for an upscale group of restaurants in Hawaii and in the Western US. He also writes food and wine matching articles for the Honolulu Advertizer and Wine Trader Magazine. He had been to Germany as recently as last year. He reports the Germans are now producing and drinking red wine. He mentioned two of them, and stated that one was available in this country. I believe it was called Spatenburgender. At any rate it was a German Pinot Noir.

I then came back and said that if you couldn't find the German Pinot Noir, it would be better to go the Riesling route rather than plopping any old Pinot Noir in front of your guests. My reasoning was they were expecting German Wine with the dinner.

The fourth posting was the one that came in on April 2, and when I went to read it, the whole thread was gone. My educated guess is that it was Randy, and that he is back out on the road now. If it was him, I suspect he was urging you to go with Pinot Noir anyway, and probably recommended a couple of them. In defference to that opinion, you might consider bottlings from Sonoma Creek or Meridian. Both are excellent, well recommended around here, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

So, take your choice, the traditional Riesling route, or the modern Pinot Noir route. You could always get both as well.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-11-2000).]

- Thomas - 04-11-2000

Another German red is called Lemberger. This wine is also made in Washington State.

- Rebecca1 - 04-11-2000

Aahh, I finally found the 'post a reply' button! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Has anyone tried the German reds known as 'Schlokberg' or 'Dornfelder' by Qualitatswein? These were the only reds I could find in this area (Indpls.) I really want to serve only German wines to keep the meal authentic. Thanks for everyone's input!

- Thomas - 04-11-2000

Rebecca, the thing to remember is that German reds are generally light wines. Go for the ones you found with the dinner, but do keep some Riesling on hand, especially for the schnitzel.

- Scoop - 04-12-2000

It was my post that went missing, Innkeeper.

In it, I extolled the virtues of Lemberger, a light-bodied, herbaceous German red that can be high quality (and would go well with the Rolladen).

I also lived in Southwest Germany (Baden-Wuerttemberg) for a spell, which is, more or less, German red wine "country" (especially Baden, which is the warmest wine region in Germany). One can find some good Spaetburgunders there (also a nice rose, a Spaetburgunder "Weissherbst") but they are mostly consumed domestically by the wine (not beer) swilling Schwobs and Badener and, thus, very hard to find on these shores.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 04-12-2000

Well, it was only an educated guess. Now we know "the rest of the story." Hopefully, our client now has the whole picture, and can make her decisions.