WineBoard
wine tasting wedding reception - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wine tasting wedding reception (/thread-1272.html)

- LoriTexas - 02-09-2003

I would like to host a wine tasting instead of a traditional wedding reception and am looking for a menu. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

- winedope1 - 02-09-2003

Dear Lori- welcome to the board and congrats! It will help greatly if you can provide some basic info on your budget(ie.- cost to spend per bottle, etc.), food to be served, number of guests to attend (to help with ideas on amounts to purchase). I'm sure that the knowledgeable people here will be glad to help. WD

- LoriTexas - 02-09-2003

Thanks! We are expecting about 150 people. We are hosting it at a private club and the chef said he could do just about anything we could think up!

We want to keep it to about $20 per person if possible.

Most of our guests are NOT wine enthusiasts. Most just want to learn a little about it. So I don't think we want to feature a vineyard unless they have a wide variety of tastes.

- Thomas - 02-09-2003

Not sure what it is you seek, but here's an idea: pick the food first, then we can suggest wines to go with it. To do it the other way around would take quite a lot of speculation, not to mention time.

- LoriTexas - 02-09-2003

Not only is this reception in April...I have no idea what I want to serve!!!

The idea is to have 4 different finger type foods served with a different wine...merlot, white of some kind, etc. We want to have a sparkling wine with the wedding cake.

Not a sit down dinner at all...we are also having a jazz band and dancing going on at the same time.

Any ideas would be appreciated...just think, this is the ground floor! Let's ride!

- Innkeeper - 02-10-2003

Sorry it’s been so long to get back to you. As you know you asked a difficult question. I’ve been reflecting on it for a while and hope to give a starting point that others can add to it. I am considering your budget and have included it in my calculations.

1 ½ cases Bogle, California, Merlot: Serve with Swedish Meatballs in a heavy sour cream sauce with toothpicks.

1 ½ cases Brancott (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc: Serve with a platter of shrimp with cocktail sauce and toothpicks.

1 ½ cases Columbia Crest, Grand Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon: Serve with mini beef or lamb kebabs with onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, and green pepper.

1 ½ cases Cave De Lugny, “Les Charmes”, Macon Lugny, Chardonnay: Serve with mini chicken breast kababs.

3 cases Freixenet Cordon Negro, Extra Dry: For toasting.

This is just a start, and maybe you and others can work on it. Keep up the faith.

- LoriTexas - 02-14-2003

Wow! Thanks for your time and imput. I am taking your suggestions to the caterer the first part of next week...

At least now, he will have an idea of what I want to do.

Thanks again!