WineBoard
Damaged car blues - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Damaged car blues (/thread-12713.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-21-2003

I tacked onto one of Georgie's rants my experience in a car accident Nov. 12. Got the bad news yesterday from the insurance adjuster. An underneath inspection showed that the floor panels, rails etc. were damaged; frames bent--insurer will declare the car a total loss because repairs would exceed $4400 and that's about the value of the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier. I still owe about $2,000 on it so after they settle the lien with the bank, I will get only about $2400 to buy a new car! I had planned to drive this car until summer or December of 2006 and have at least two years with no car payments. ARGGH! Think I'll go home tonight and either open one of the Cote de Nuits Villages I'm excited about (I bought 6 bottles of this one label) or a German Scheurebe Auslese from Muller-Catoir. And I may top that with some Port. Will probably have to put it off until after the stewardship committee meeting at church to stuff stewardship packets. I don't want to turn it into the "stewed"ership meeting!

- Innkeeper - 11-21-2003

Very sorry to hear about all that. We had a similar experiance once upon a time. We are having fellowship with some of our fellow parishioners tonight, because of a problem we are having. I'm bringing five Logan Pinots and three Simonsig SBs, along with a platter of mussels aioli.

- Thomas - 11-21-2003

Sorry WOW. We just went through two vehicle repairs: one was our electric hybrid Honda (a truck swiped it and then the driver ran); the other was our Outback Subaru that met with a rather large deer. Total bill: $6,000 plus car rental fees.

We own the Subaru and we are paying off the Honda--our insurance bill for the new year just arrived; only a small increase.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-21-2003).]

- Georgie - 11-21-2003

Sorry to hear your bad news. That just stinks, plain and simple.

- wondersofwine - 11-21-2003

Thanks for sending your understanding my way.

- winedope1 - 11-22-2003

WOW- I'm feeling for you! My truck is at the shop for an estimate on the repairs. It's blue book value is only 2,000 . Thye've alreasy told me it will ast need a new quarter panel so I'mm pretty sure i'm gonna be in trouble with it. Hope not, though, I love my pickup! Good luck to you!! WD

- winoweenie - 11-23-2003

Such a bummer so close to the holidays. Hope aall works to your satisfaction..WW

- winedope1 - 11-23-2003

thanks, WW. You can see that I am so bothered by this development that it looks like I've been taking your typing lessons again! ; )

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2003

I did better than I anticipated on the insurance deal. Since the other driver's insurer was paying off the bank lien nine months early, it came to only $757 owing, not $2000. Thus I got about $3600+ back from the insurer and applied $3400 of that to a down payment. Also, I bought a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier program car with about 19,000 miles on it so the cost was under $10,000 (before taxes and delivery fee)--a lot less than a new car. It's still under manufacturer's warranty until 36,000 miles and I bought a modified extended service contract beyond that. If it needs repairs after 36,000 miles, I pay the first $100 and the service contract pays the rest up to five years from purchase or 100,000 miles.
I still won't have the two years free of car payments, but kept the car payments to under $150 per month--which is less than with my 1999 Cavalier.

- Georgie - 12-02-2003

Well, as my Italian friend often says, "From bad comes good."

- quijote - 12-02-2003

Glad to hear things worked out reasonably well, WOW.