WineBoard
Rules to live by. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Rules to live by. (/thread-12686.html)

- winer - 09-12-2003

Greetings all. I've just seen the following, and it was apparantly written by an American for Americans, but I think the principles apply equally well to most people in the world. My apologies if you have seen this before.
============================

The following has been attributed to State Representative Mitchell Kaye from GA. The guy should run for President...

PREAMBLE

We, the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some resemblance of justice, avoid any more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, and delusional. We hold these truths to be self-evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim that they require a Bill of No Rights.

ARTICLE I You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II

You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be ... and like the rest of us, you need to simply deal with it.

ARTICLE III

You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful; do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy by telling them they didn't warn you not to stick the screwdriver in your eye.

ARTICLE IV

You do not have the right to free food and housing. Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more t! han the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes.

ARTICLE V

You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we should be wary of public health care or public anything.

ARTICLE VI

You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair (yes, capital punishment).

ARTICLE VII

You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV, pool tables, weight rooms, or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII

You don't have the right to a job. All of us sure want you to have a job, and! will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of part time jobs, education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

ARTICLE IX

You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have the right to PURSUE happiness --which by the way-- is a lot easier if you are not encumbered by an overabundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights,

ARTICLE X

This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from. We welcome you here. English is our language and like the one you left behind, we also have a culture. Learn it or go back to the country and the living conditions you were fleeing."

If you agree, share this with a friend. No, you don't have to, and nothing tragic will befall you if you don't. I just think it is about time common sense is allowed to flourish ! -- just call it "The Age of Reason Revisited."

- Botafogo - 09-12-2003

>>You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we should be wary of public health care or public anything. <<

Just because WE can't manage to do public health care, housing or mass transit correctly does NOT mean it cannot be done properly. MANY European and even South American countries have beat us at this big time.

Re English, This country was founded by a large number of immigrants from many European countries speaking many languages. Through what could be termed "lingual Darwinism" or "the free tongue market" English has become the de facto language of most of us. NO where in the founding documents or any statute is this regulated. Most of the "founding fathers" were well educated which, in that day, meant being verbally fluent in French and maybe German or Dutch and being able to read Latin and Greek. Guys like Jefferson and Franklin were amazing polyglots. Remember the scene in "Braveheart" where the queen and her prime minister think they are conversing behind Mel Gibson's back right in front of him because they think he is an illiterate savage and he answers them in French AND Latin? Knowledge is power or at least advantage.

If, through the annexation of a large part of a Spanish speaking country (Azatlan Norte= Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico, all taken from Mexico), an influx of Korean entrepeneurs or a sudden mass hysteria to learn Portugues and sing Bossa Nova, the default mode changes to either a more multi-lingual mode (like almost ANYWHERE else on earth) or a new dominant language, good conservatives should LET THE FREE MARKET WORK!

0 seu momento Larry Elderense, ao vivo no Azatlan Norte, Roberto, o misturador da merda

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 09-12-2003).]

- Thomas - 09-12-2003

I was nodding in agreement until about Article IV, when mean-spiritedness kicked in and prevailed in many of the following articles; in some cases, the document proves the separation between state and the 10 Commandments, and the Beatitudes, and any other humanist/religious doctrinaire...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-12-2003).]

- dananne - 09-12-2003

I have succombed to the mass hysteria, and I eagerly await the time when I am a succesful Bossa Nova singer.

I'm hoping that some semblance of musical talent or ability follows my learning to speak Portuguese . . .

Until that time, I'll just content myself with resenting my grandparents, who moved to this country from Norway and promptly stopped speaking Norwegian (unless they were cursing at each other in the kitchen) and forbid any of the family from learning it. Hence, I can't speak it and would have loved to be bilingual. My wife, ironically, took Norwegian in college. So, without any of the heritage, she can speak it and I can't [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Instead, I took French in college. Oh well, at least I can work my way around a French wine bottle [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 09-12-2003

Yeah, it's an absolute shame that American children are not routinely taught one or two languages in addition to English. That change alone could help towards replacing xenophobia with not only acceptance of other cultures, but maybe even curiosity about the rest of the world instead of some of the insular attitudes I witness on a daily basis. You can't understand the other's point of view if you are neither willing nor able to speak to the other.