WineBoard
Roberto will like this. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Roberto will like this. (/thread-12583.html)

- tandkvd - 07-21-2004

Subject: Thermodynamics of hell

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry midterm. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving.

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if You are not a member of their religion you will go to Hell. Since there are More than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you.", and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

- Bucko - 07-21-2004

Old joke but still funny..........

- Botafogo - 07-22-2004

Indeed funny but why is it of special interest to me? Just wondering....

- winoweenie - 07-22-2004

By Golly!!! He is alive and kicking. WW

- tandkvd - 07-22-2004

Sorry if it came accross wrong. I just thought that you would get a kick out of this part.

"As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if You are not a member of their religion you will go to Hell. Since there are More than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell."

It is just a funny way to look at religions. And you seem to be an Agnostic?
It definatly wasen't any thing against you personaly.

But Hey, I thought that every one knew that only Conservative Southern Baptist are going to Heaven. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 07-22-2004

Hey tand, it's not just a funny way to look at religion--it has a point, and you don't have to be agnostic to see that, although it does support the agnostic cause immesaurably when you think about it...

- tandkvd - 07-22-2004

Sorry Foodie, I can't handle any serious debates till Monday. It has been a bad week. We had some personel problems and I had to fire two people this week. I'm taking tomorrow off of work to play some golf with my son and try to relax with the family.

And have some wine of course!

- Thomas - 07-23-2004

Hope all is well, tand--take care.

- Botafogo - 07-23-2004

No offense, just curious....

Did anyone hear Ron Reagan Jr on Fresh Air last night? He is editing a book about what YOU would ask "A President" if you had five minutes alone with him. When Terry Gross turned the question around on him he had two answers which are SURE to get the Religious Right's thongs in a twirl:

His question to "a president": "How do you feel about Darwinian evolution? I always feel that gives you a good idea of how someone thinks and how sophisticated they are."

His question to THIS president: "Do yo think that the innocents, the civilians, the Muslim women and children killed in the bombing in Afganistan and Iraq will go to heaven? And, if the answer is yes, how would you explain that to your Baptist pastor?"

THAT guy is THINKING!

- Thomas - 07-24-2004

Ron is an expressed, devout agnostic. He is also a pacifist.
And he does seem to think.