WineBoard
Thanksgiving wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Thanksgiving wines (/thread-1258.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Thomas - 11-22-2008

Missed your call last night, WW. Have a safe, and drunk free, trip [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Duane Meissner - 11-25-2008

Just picked up a 2003 Chateau Grand Pey Lescours (St. Emilion)

We were invited over for T-giving dinner by the wife's boss and his family. They are on of the few American families now living in Germany whom we know. They are supplying the whites, but asked if we could bring a red.

Anyone familiar with this producer? I have had good experiences with 2003s, and tend to like right bankers, so I assume this should do the trick.

- Thomas - 11-25-2008

Engineer,

A typical Italian-American T day dinner:

Start with pastina soup

Move to pasta dish

Some oysters on the half shell

Turkey and all that stuff that goes with it

Salad

Take a breather

The end:

nuts, fruits, cheeses, cookies, cakes, and pies--yer takes yer choice or some of all.

Espresso doppio, and tea for the wimps.

Wine, all through the day...

That's why we start at 2 PM.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-25-2008).]

- andrawes76 - 11-25-2008

Managed to find a mysterious case of 2005 Cotes du Rhone Perrin Les Sinards. Probably going to bust one of those open. Good value. Next I will finish the dressing and turkey with a nice bottle of '05 the Dead Arm Shiraz. With whatever ice cream cobbler I decide to buy will be followed by some 1975 Grahams Port.

- TheEngineer - 11-26-2008

Foodie,

I grew up in an Italian neighbourhood. I understand now! I miss those times. Really great people to grow up with, and man was your back covered. They looked out for you like one of their own. I also eat like an Italian kid when I when to their homes first before going home. A kaiser roll in hand and then off to the basement to hack off some ham or sausage and cheese adn then it would be an huge afternoon snack. Miss those times for sure.

- Thomas - 11-26-2008

Engineer,

"Foodie" is a word I got from my growing up days. We kids used to plan our visits to each friend's home based on the time that each mother started cooking. Three or four dinners in one day was not uncommon, especially on Sunday or holidays. We all became experts on tomato sauce...

Oddly, I was always a skinny immigrant kid, something I attribute to the frequent exercise I got running from "the authorities" while eating a rum cookie!

- hotwine - 11-26-2008

Now planning to serve a Cab, a Chardonnay, a Zin and Champagne. There will be 14 of us. D baked a 20 lb turkey today while I smoked a 12 lb. Too many sides to name. Looking forward to hosting family and a few good friends. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

- newsguy - 11-28-2008

so, how was everyone's turkey day?

had a wonderful dinner over on the eastern shore at the home of my sister-in-law's niece. amazing food. they had their own case of pinot grigio and i brought a double magnum of '02 coppola claret (held up quite well), plus a bottle each of '07 de loach russian river valley pinot noir (tasty, elegant young wine), an '04 markham merlot (has aged nicely), '05 hogue genesis merlot (improved greatly with time in the glass) and an '01 gallo sonoma barrelli creek cab (which we never even drank because we were done by the time we finished that second merlot. hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 11-28-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 11-28-2008

See the Zinandel thread to see both we'uns and the weener fared.

- hotwine - 11-28-2008

Stupendous time was had by all. The wines included
- Nicolas Feuillatte NV Champagne (1)
- 2005 Avalon Napa Cab (2)
- 2006 House Wine Chardonnay (1)
- 2000 Messina Hof TexZin (1)

Only 11 of the 14 present were imbibers.

The only complaint concerned the small size of the smoked turkey. Tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. Next time.

- Kcwhippet - 11-28-2008

Started off with a 1990 PJ Fleur de Champagne. Then 3 Pinots - 2004 Loring Keefer Ranch, 2006 Pali Turner Vyd and 2006 Pali Momtazi Vyd. Finished off with some sips of Acqua di Cedro from Nardini. It's an Italian citrus liqueur that's sort of like Limoncello on steroids - delicious!!

- Drew - 11-29-2008

30+ people at my sisters home in Howard County Maryland and I'm chosen to bring the wines. Probably 15 imbibers of the following.

2004 Steele Pacini Vineyard Zinfandel (several bottles plus 1 was corked)

2005 Zoom Zin

2006 Cline Mourvedre (several bottles)

1999 Robert Mondavi Reserve Napa Cab Magnum

The Steele is/was terrific at $10 per bottle and I found and purchased another case of it same price.

Zoom Zin was very good, deep,plush style. Almost a merlot on steroids.

The Cline Mourvedre is a great QPR with spicy raspberry with hints of tar.

The Robert Mondavi was the wine of the night proclaimed by all and at it's peak I would say. Lovely, elegant cab. One of the three Mag's I purchased for $89 ea.

Wonderful Thanksgiving but ate too much and suffered a little later in the night, burp!, but was fully recovered by late morning.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 11-29-2008

Turkey worked well. Opened just three bottles:

(1) La Spinetta Moscato D'Asti
(2) 04 Domaine Caillor Les Herbeux Bourgogne (white and this thing reaches high about its pay scale)
(3) 03 Ridge Zin (coming over with me last bottle tonight KC...understand you are still in the store).

- wondersofwine - 12-01-2008

Engineer, which Ridge Zin--Dusi Ranch or blend such as Lytton Springs or Geyserville?

I took a potato dish and pumpkin cake/cream cheese roll to our church Thanksgiving dinner--service at 1230 and dinner about 2:00. We had both roast turkey and deep fry turkey and spiral ham, sweet potato and broccoli casseroles, mashed potatoes and stuffing, etc. and pumpkin and sweet potato pie as well as my dessert. I was going to put the leftover pumpkin cake/cream cheese roll out after Sunday's service but it had disappeared from the church refrigerator. I hope our priest and the church secretary had some of it. I opened a Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages and a Trimbach Gewurztraminer. Didn't take the 2006 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir after all. I may save it until sometime in 2009.

- Thomas - 12-01-2008

This year I tried something new: went with Glenora 2002 Brut throughout the whole meal. It failed only at the sweet desserts, but it did well with a dry (semi-dry, really) cheesecake.

- TheEngineer - 12-01-2008

WoW, it was the Geyserville. I had three bottles of it. All three were extremely consistent. It was $30 a bottle I think at the time.

As for the dishes talk about easy does it.

Tomato Buffalo Mozz salad,
Roast Turkey
Garlic Mash Potatoes
Roasted Butternut Squash
A pasta bowl (for the kids....yeah right [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] )
Two types of gravy
and some other veggies, like Corn, etc,..

Dessert was a Blue Berry pie from a local bakery....which seemed to disappear right in front of my face....with my face doing most of the work.

Next morning..as is traditional for the men of the house, we started preparing the Roasted Turkey Congee.....soul food if there ever was any.....3 hours on the stock and then in with the rice and other ingredients. GREAT breakfast.

- Innkeeper - 12-01-2008

Foodie was yours the Champaign method one ($20 something) or the transfer method one ($10 something)? We had the latter as an afterdinner sit around the table drink.

- Thomas - 12-01-2008

IK, the 02 was the Champagne method Brut.

Finger Lakes Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

- mrdutton - 12-14-2008

My beautiful wife and I went out to eat our Thanksgiving meal because we were abandoned by our Daughter, Son-in-Law and Grandchildren. They traveled to Raleigh to be with friends.

My wife is no great friend of wine, althought I am trying to move her toward being a wine drinker if not a wine lover.....

So I was left (because I was driving) with a choice of wines by the glass.

So with a opening plate of various salad items and poached salmon, I started with an Oregon Pinot Noir.

Then with the main course of turkey, steam-ship round, mashed sweet potatoes, stuffing, veal demi-glace gravy with onions, and green beans, I chose a Cali Zinfandel.

When it was time for dessert, I matched the bread pudding with a 20 year old Sandeman Tawney Port.

And.......

I drove home sated and sober!

- TheEngineer - 12-14-2008

Smart!