WineBoard
Scotch.... Mr.Connery's fav - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Scotch.... Mr.Connery's fav (/thread-12574.html)

- jasmudger - 10-19-2004

Lagavulin 16 yr old - what a scotch! Beautiful malt with a peaty, smoky touch. Whisky has been a difficult drink to enjoy after drinking so much wine, however, this one is divine. £30 over here ($55~) Has anyone tried it?

Any fans of Scotch/malt whiskies?

Jim

- Kcwhippet - 10-19-2004

Lots of fans here. I'm currently working on a 14 yr Rosebank. Some others in the past year - Cask Strength Rosebank, Caol Ila, Glenkinchie, Ardbeg, Longmorn, Strathisla, Auchentoshan, Mortlach, Bladnoch, Old Pulteney, Glenfarclas, Springbank, Talisker and Dallas Dhu. Those are all I can remember, though there were a few more. Slight disclaimer - I work at a shop where we have over a hundred single malts, and I get them for 10% over wholesale, so prices are quite reasonable. However, I haven't yet gone for the 40 yr Glenlivet (distilled in 1948) which is at retail for $900.

- hotwine - 10-19-2004

I tried the Lagavulin last month in Edinburgh and didn't care for it; too peaty for my taste. Much prefer the Glenmorangie "Cellar 13", a single malt, single fill, only 10 yrs old. Gave 29 quid for it at the Gatwick duty-free shop.

- jasmudger - 10-19-2004

The reason I bring up the whisky thang guys is like Kc im starting work in a shop holding over 400 whisky varieties, malts in the hundreds. Im adding this touch to my wine knowledge becuase in my WSET exams spirits and liquers are where I lost some marks

Was gonna mention Laphroig 12yr, but hotwine you wont like that either... its very peaty

the company is The Whisky Shop (www.whiskyshop.com) check it out

- wondersofwine - 10-19-2004

KC,
We toured Auchentoshen factory when I was in Scotland.
I can't remember if my father's former boss (Cliff Hillegass of Cliff's Notes fame) prefered Glenlivet or Glenmorangie so a day or so after his death I drank one pour of both Scotches to his memory at a hotel bar where I was staying on Cape Cod (Dan'l Webster's Inn--you may know it--very nice place). I don't normally drink Scotch but can see it's attraction. I did try some of the peaty ones while in Scotland. At a hotel in Edinburgh when I was 21 I asked for a single malt scotch. The bartender asked if I liked a peaty one. I said "I don't know--I'm still experimenting." He selected a peaty one and said "Do you want it neat or on ice?" I said "Neat" and he said approvingly "You can come back again tomorrow night."

- Kcwhippet - 10-19-2004

WoW, You're a gal after my own heart! We'll have to share a dram, or two, next August. Glenmorangie is one of the ones I forgot to mention, but I've never really been a big fan of The Glenlivet, in any of its incarnations. It is a nice drink, but it's just too two dimensional for me, maybe because it's such a big place - almost like the Anheuser-Busch of Scotch. If you want "big", Caol Ila is one I'd recommend. It's even bigger than Ardbeg. Glad you like it neat, too, though with some Scotch a mere touch of water is needed to bring out all the character. That's particularly so with the cask strength versions from Caidenhead and Gordon & MacPhail. Haven't been to the Dan'l Webster Inn yet, but I've been by it several times over the years and I've heard really good things about the restaurant. I guess we'll have to give it a try soon.

- Bucko - 10-19-2004

Lagavulin 16 y/o, Bowmore 17 y/o and Talisker 10 y/o grace my shelves.

I never seem to be in a Scotch mood until the cooler months.

- hotwine - 10-19-2004

I went through a bottle of Laphroig a few years back, thinking I might develop a taste for it.... but never did.

Glenmorangie has been experimenting with different wine barrels for their aging casks, including sherry, madiera and port. Haven't tried any of those, although they seem more readily available in the UK than the single fill, which is only sold in duty-free shops. Have no idea why that is.

Got lucky with the Cellar 13: while waiting at Gatwick for our connecting flight to Edinburgh, I wandered into the duty-free shop and perused the single malts. Clerk asked if she could help, and I expained that we were en route to Edinburgh to attend the wedding of one of our former exchange students, and would be staying with the parents of the other student we hosted 10 years ago. I remarked that I knew the girl's dad enjoyed a nice whiskey, but had no idea of his taste. The clerk reached down and pulled up the Cellar 13, and said, "If he likes a nice one, he'll enjoy this, because he can't buy it anywhere but a duty-free shop." So I gave it a go. Later, as we sat in the lounge in our hosts' home, he offered me a wee tad of whiskey; I accepted, and requested it neat. He smiled and poured half a water-glass. It was gorgeous, the finest I've had. When I asked what it was, he said it was the Cellar 13 of the Glenmorangie. Whereupon I replied that I was awfully glad he considered it his favorite, for it was his gift in the bag at my feet!

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then...

- wondersofwine - 10-19-2004

KC,
If you do go to Dan'l Webster Inn for dinner, request the garden/conservatory room (they have three dining rooms from casual pub to formal dining room). Especially in good weather, the conservatory room with all the glass and greenery is really nice.

- Georgie - 10-19-2004

You go HW! What luck!

- wineguruchgo - 10-19-2004

Here is a little tidbit for you that I read earlier this year.

One of the few "permitted" alcohols during the US prohibition was Laphroig. Why? They felt that it tasted so bad it had to be medicine!

LOL! Looks like Laphroig laughed all the way to the bank!

- Kcwhippet - 10-19-2004

Got that filed away, WoW. Thanks!

- winoweenie - 10-22-2004

In case you've missed my posts, my other slight weakness is Highland Park, 25 year-old to tame the savage beast. Their 12 is also pretty tasty fer a lot less dinero. Think I'll pour a couple or 6 fingers after posting. WW

- stevebody - 10-22-2004

Spent a couple of years of my flaming youth in London with my great-uncle, who used to drive us up to Scotland twive yearly to stock up on his faves. I never got over those, especially Oban and Bunnahabain, which I just disastrously mispelled. Current favorite is Bowmore 17, for that sea-salt tang and mossy/woodsy aroma in the ol' retro-nasal passage. Judye...(sigh)...is a bourbon drinker...

- hotwine - 03-01-2008

Reviving this old thread to post on a special gift we received this week. The young lady whose wedding we attended in '04, who had stayed with us 10 years earlier as an exchange student, arrived for a week-long visit with her husband, and presented us a bottle of single-cask malt from the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society of the Vaults in Leith. Andrew is a member of the Society, and this whiskey is from cask # 76.56, distilled in Sep '96 and bottled in Jan '08, clocking in at 105.1 proof and 60.1% alc/vol. I'm ambivalent about trying it.... hate to break the seal on such liquid gold, but REALLY anxious to taste it.

Our daughter & SIL have now also joined us for the weekend, and D has taken them all out shopping for western wear while I smoke a brisket.... will Q some baby-back ribs on the dying coals.

Wine consumption is holding steady at two bottles/night..... '01 Antinori CC Riserva last night, can't remember what the night before..... some '98 Rioja and '97 Cline Small Berry Mourvedre for the BBQ tonight.