WineBoard
half-way - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: half-way (/thread-12568.html)

Pages: 1 2

- VouvrayHead - 09-23-2009

Wow! What a week!
swine-flu started last friday, strained lower back today (OWW), moving this Saturday (back in with folks to save money for wifey's med school*), end of grading period at work, Lily's almost 2 months. All at once.

What wine do I get to drink when it's over?**

*interview at Mizzou in a couple of weeks, Nebraska next up after that.

**If I'm still alive, I mean...

- TheEngineer - 09-24-2009

Good Luck VH!

- Drew - 09-24-2009

"What wine do I get to drink when it's over?**"

Redemption Zin!

Drew

- Thomas - 09-24-2009

Sounds like you have it worse than I do right now--I'm merely three hours away from a colonoscopy.

Hang in there. If someone like me doesn't eat anything for over a day, anyone can put up with anything.

Good Luck VH and hope the future is bright.

- wondersofwine - 09-24-2009

I'm a grad of U of Nebraska (but campus in Lincoln, med school is in Omaha.) Let us know where you end up. Are you a teacher? There should be teaching jobs available in either location.

- hotwine - 09-24-2009

Good grief! Hang in there, VH!

- dananne - 09-24-2009

If anyone needs a cool glass of Chenin Blanc, it's you. Get well soon, and good luck to your wife. Anne and I would love it if you ended up in Columbia. Keep us posted, and we'll set aside a few nice bottles just in case [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 09-26-2009

Hey VH! What a lil' piece of Ca-Ca thrown at you. As you may or not know I'm a granulate frum dear ole' Mizzou and have fond memories of my 2 years there. Loved the area, the school of Journalism, and all the amenities offered by the addition of 2 girls colleges in Columbia. Wish I could say I'd be glad to vouch for you but doubt they even have the records of my attendasnce still available. Time for some good stuff-n-such to come your way. BPR, WW

- VouvrayHead - 09-26-2009

Thanks for all of your good-wishes.

We're all moved in and looking ahead.

Wonders, have you spent much time in Omaha? If so, what are your impressions?

WW, both Claire and I did our undergrads at Mizzou. Like the town and school very much.

Drank a 2001 Marcel Deiss white field blend...
It was very good.

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 09-26-2009).]

- Innkeeper - 09-27-2009

VH we lived in Omaha (actually Bellevue just to the south) for five and half years. It is a great town, warts and all. What do you want to know about it?

- winoweenie - 09-27-2009

Forgot to mention but the fraternity I belonged to, ATO true to form, has just been banned from campus for underage drinking, having girls in their rooms, and gambling. Gueass the only thing they dint do was shoot someone. WW

- VouvrayHead - 09-27-2009

Sounds like a frat, indeed! Wasn't greek, myself.

IK, I think the biggest question I would have about Omaha is about the urban area. Is it a real city center with good food, arts, etc., and if so, is it safe? And is there much of a sense of community there? Thanks! Such a broad range of knowledge on this board....

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 09-27-2009).]

- Innkeeper - 09-28-2009

We would classify Omaha as a big city, not as big as some, but still big. Like most cities it has good sections and bad. For a metro that size, we would rate crime as moderate to low. One of biggest advantages is the ability to get around due to an excellent road system.

There are all kinds of restaurants and wine shops in all areas. The restaurants de ville are what they call Italian Steak Houses. Some of these are very famous, and others should be.

It has been 20 years since we lived there, and neighborhoods change. We have been back on visits, as have one of our daughters. It used to be that the area around the Center Mall was a city center we would like to live in. Many specialty food and other shops are in the area. The "Mall" was built right after WWII. There are more modern ones of course further away from city center.

Keep the questions coming.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 09-28-2009).]

- VouvrayHead - 09-28-2009

You really hit on what I was looking for... Thank you!
She'll be interviewing in early November and is hoping to interview at Creighton as well, so we will just see where we end up!

- Drew - 10-06-2009

How you doing with the flu VH?

Drew

- wondersofwine - 10-06-2009

VH, I'm glad IK could answer some of your questions. I don't know Omaha that well although I did have a great aunt and uncle that lived there and also participated in Ak-Sar-Ben (Nebraska spelled backwards)festivities and stayed overnight with a sorority sister from Omaha. Omaha is along the Missouri river and is a hilly city for what is generally a flat state. It is known for steak but also has a few French bistro- type restaurants.
If you go for interviews and have some time for sight-seeing, the Henry Doorly Zoo is worthwhile and has a rain forest area (Lied Jungle is the largest indoor rain forest in the world) and an aquarium, and Joslyn Art Museum is worth a visit. I don't know if they do tours at Boys' Town but that would be another possibility.
Omaha has a symphony orchestra that does a lot of family-friendly pop music evenings but also classical (Itzhak Perlman is appearing in November.) Mendelssohn, Schubert, Haydn and Mozart are on the schedule for 2009-2010. It looks like they have concerts almost weekly during the season.
Real estate prices tend to be below the national average (that is probably true for Columbia, MO also.)
Good luck with everything!

- VouvrayHead - 10-06-2009

Thanks for the additional info, wonders. Sounds like a nice town. We'll see where we end up!

Drew, my troops have defeated the flu. Nasty thing, that was... My energy level is just now getting back to normal. Thanks for the concern!

- VouvrayHead - 10-16-2009

Well, Claire got accepted into MU. huzzah!
They opened up for acceptances on the 15th and she got the call on the 16th. Tough to beat that.
Not a done deal that she'll choose to go there over other acceptances that may or may not come, but it's certainly the most likely outcome.

Drank an NV Billiot Rose to celebrate. Beautiful stuff.

- winoweenie - 10-17-2009

Give my deepest congrats to Claire. Know you'll have fun in Columbia. WW

- dananne - 10-17-2009

Congrats! If you do end up on Columbia, know that our cellar door is always open to you both. And, depending on your childcare needs, feel free to call upon me as a resource in that area, as well [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]