WineBoard
It's good to be different... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: It's good to be different... (/thread-12534.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Georgie - 09-02-2003

Just out of curiosity, how old were you when you saw ET? I'm sure they left it in for the shock value.

No weapons except patience and humor when dealing with the littles, but oh, at times how I'd love to have a bottle of wine stashed in the file cabinet!

Almost 9:00 pm..must toddle off to bed...it's a school night...

- winedope1 - 09-02-2003

wow! what I missed in a couple of days! I have no objections to profanity when it is used to express an idea or make a point. Sometimes it is funny and sometimes it just fits. Sometimes my surgical equipment just needs to hear a few choice words! To each his/her own, I say. Now why won't this ****** drill listen to me??? WD

- Botafogo - 09-02-2003

I was in my twenties when that came out but the audience was HEAVILY weighted towards kids.

While we are ranting and vaguely related (Universal made and distributed ET), what do you guys think of the proposed Vivendi / NBC merger?

- stevebody - 09-02-2003

Roberto! Slap me flat! You are the first person I've run into in this end of the country who not only remembered Johnny and Shuggy Otis but knew "Signifyin' Monkey". I'm so F#@%^*g impressed I could just defecate!

Now, I'm really going to drop in next time I'm down there...and get you to play me that album, just once. (A "friend" stole my copy years ago.)

- Botafogo - 09-02-2003

STeve, I even have a tape of ME covering it...

True poetry of the highest order and I LOVE telling young black kids who think rap is something new to go and ask GRAMPA about the Signified Monkey.....

- Thomas - 09-03-2003

Once, I was playing a Johnny Otis CD over the is-wine sound system when some guy walks in with his girlfriend, perks up his ears, comes over to me and plants a kiss on my forehead. He said, and I quote, "Nobody plays that good shit anymore."

- Auburnwine - 09-03-2003

I figured Roberto's N'Awlins connection would put him onto signifying like white on rice.

- Kcwhippet - 09-03-2003

I once heard that Willie Dixon was the one who originally wrote Signified Monkey but didn't copywright it. He sure did copywright a bunch of other good stuff, though.

- Botafogo - 09-03-2003

Willie on intellectual property:

"There are only three blues songs, two of them are the same and I wrote 'em both!"

Well, everyone is talking 'bout the seventh son, I'm the one, I'm the one, I'm the only one....AND, I eat more chicken than any man's ever seen...

Your backdoor man, Roberto, who is built for comfort not for speed but has everything a little girl needs.

- Auburnwine - 09-03-2003

Wine and women is all I crave.
A big legged woman is gonna carry me to my grave.
Born under a bad sign
I been down since I began to crawl
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.

- Booker T. Jones

- Botafogo - 09-03-2003

Just to keep IK happy (talking about wine), We are trying to get label approval for a big, chewy, phat like that Puglian Red to be called:

Big Leg Red...a Vinous tribute to Etta James

Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 09-03-2003

How about a Hound Dog Red for Big Mama Thornton? Fair is fair.

- Auburnwine - 09-04-2003

We do have blues as tasting notes:

You gonna keep on drinking that bad wine, baby
Even the grass on your grave will be cherry red.

- Luther Allison

- stevebody - 09-04-2003

Foodie possesses a funky streak, too? Jesus Christ, I'm totally verklempt. I'd have kissed you on the forehead, too. God, what a lovely last day I've had, with Shuggy and Johnny tunes running through my head! My mind is occupied with physical therapy stuff and whatever I forgot to do around the house today. I need a BIG dose of musical therapy. I wonder if I can find my Robert Nighthawk albums...

Oh, great wine last night, BTW. '95 Avignonesi "Le Grifi". I WAS listening to Albert Collins when I drank it, though. Hmmm...maybe thr therapy is underway.

- Thomas - 09-04-2003

SB, a guy who studied piano and drums, as I did, benefits from knowing as much about music as possible: blues is only one of my music interests. In fact, the only music I do not take well is the stuff called "New sounds" and the stuff called "Rap;" the former because it grates on me, the latter because it grates on me.

But then, I do not care for the muscat grape and red sparkling wine either--that was for IK.