WineBoard
Critic to the Wine Critic - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Critic to the Wine Critic (/thread-12507.html)

- jv38 - 11-02-2006

I rented Jancis Robinson's Wine Course, and one hour into the 5 hour DVD, I noticed something interesting... This is not a wine course. This is a critic to anything that is not French. 4 hours into the DVD, she just criticizes anybody that goes away from the "traditional" wine making ways or any wine or wine maker in California or Australia. The Mondovino documentary presented the same point of view but at least that was a documentary about the French wine vs. The World issue. This Jancis Robinson's Wine Course is just the same but hidden as a Wine Course. I believe that this is a disservice to all people that are new to wine. I’m very disappointed on her. Rant off! [img]http://205.134.252.108/ubb/cool.gif[/img]

- Bucko - 11-03-2006

In her defense, the longer you are in to wine, the more you gravitate to Old World wines. I can drink and appreciate wines from all over the world, but my cellar is 90 percent European.

- Thomas - 11-03-2006

I can't comment on the specific DVD but perhaps because the focus of her "course" is geared toward a certain style of so-called traditional winemaking, and perhaps because, like the upper levels of most British wine journalists, she is deeply into the French wine scene, you interpret it to mean that she is fostering an agenda upon you when in fact, she may be teaching all that she understands or is interested in about wine.

I think that all this stuff about wine critics taking this side or that is rather strange. Critics are supposed to take sides; if they didn't they wouldn't be critics, they'd be writers, which is why I prefer wine writers over wine critics, which is why I wouldn't buy a DVD produced by a wine critic, no matter what its subject purports to be--so consider yourself lucky that you only rented it...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-03-2006).]

- TheEngineer - 11-03-2006

I also purchased the Wine Course DVD's but I purchased with knowing that it really was not a "course" per say but really more of an introduction to the subject. This was aired on TV so there is a certain amount of it that needed to be entertainment (recall the burgundy producer that could not drink the new world chardonnay). But it was still rather respectful.

It's been a while since I've watched it so my memory is fading on it, but I do recalled that some new world areas were nicely represented such as New Zealand and Argentina. And while there was a lot of emphasis on old world wines, they remain the biggest producers and exporters so it is appropriate for her clientele. I thought that as an intro to a mass market for TV, (where there is no opportunity to get deep into the intricacies), it was very fair. Her style is also rather appealing to a certain market base. Of course, not every tv personnel will be agreeable to all, ie. do you like Emeril and Bobby Flay or do you like Barefoot Contessa? It's a matter of style at this point.

- Thomas - 11-03-2006

Yeah Engineer. Sometimes people read and hear not what's before them but what they expect to have before them or what they want to have before them.

As you know, I haven't seen it so I can't comment on the DVD. I only know that I don't care for wine criticism much; don't see the point; don't really care what someone else likes or dislikes; got my own palate to worry about... I like information rather than opinion. If this DVD imparts information, then it is worth a look-see.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-03-2006).]

- brappy - 11-03-2006

I thought Robinson was a wine writer.

Even if not, Eng hit it on the head:"It's a matter of style at this point."

mark

- jv38 - 11-05-2006

My point is that other wine writers do not put down those regions that they don't like by asking other wine producers to taste those wines that she did not like. Other Wine Writers talk about the wines and their specific characteristics based on what grape were used, how it grows, and how the wine was made. That is something that varies from one country to other and even from one region with in the same country. I don't see the point why she ask a Burgundy producer to taste a Oregon Pinot, or why ask a Champagne producer to taste sparkling wines from other places. What I took from her "Wine Course" is that anything that is not French not worsts a thing. I believe that good wines can be found in all wine regions. You only have to find them. That, I believe, is the fun part of this hobby.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-06-2006

I agree JV. I saw it too and was equally unimpressed.

- Bucko - 11-06-2006

"I believe that good wines can be found in all wine regions."

Good wines -- yes. Exceptional wines -- no.

- winoweenie - 11-06-2006

" the more you're into wine the more you gravitate to European wines". Guess I'm an abberation there ole Buck-Snort. The Bordeauxs in my cellar are from atypical vintages that are more new world than old in style. I also tend to believe you can find exceptional wines from ALL wine regions today. The Bordeaux vintages that've found their way into my cellar were the 82s,89s,95s and 2000s. I've found far more great wines from your neck of the woods on an ongoing basis than from Bordeaux. The one exception is wines from the Rhone. I've been in love with them since finding the 78 Guigals. Tho we're making some killer Syrahs in this country our best fall short of the best coming from that valley. Jes call me a leather-tongued, Cali-Lovin', Know-Nuttin' Okie with no taste. WW [img]http://205.134.252.108/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 11-06-2006

Can someone define good, exceptional, bad, mediocre, etc. so that I know what we are talking about?

- Bucko - 11-06-2006

Someone want to give Foodie a tongue transplant, the senile old goat....

As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some folks are near-sighted. [img]http://205.134.252.108/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

I used to have a Cal-centric cellar, but the longer I drank the wines, the more I saw they did not develop in the bottle like Old World wines.

I've been to several vertical tastings of high-end wines from CA and WA, such at Screaming Beagle, Harlan, Quilceda Creek, Leonetti, etc. I have always been disappointed in the development. I sold off most of my CA and WA wines at Winebid.

That is my palate. I certainly do not try to dictate others palates. Afterall, our experiences are all we have to judge by. The more I drank the world's wines, the more I came to focus on certain regions.

My cellar now is 95 percent Rhone, Loire, Alsace, Mosel, Oporto and New Zealand.

You notice no Italian or Burgundy. I have friends who have cellars composed almost entirely of same. It is all about personal preference.

I remain convinced that as a person explores the wine regions of the world, they will gravitate away from the fruit-forward, high-alcohol, highly-extracted wines.

- Thomas - 11-06-2006

Ah, the subjectivity of it all.

In my case, I started with the Old World, added the New World, but find that the Old World appeals more to me, not that some in the New World don't, just that far too many haven't lately.

And may I say that anyone who doesn't like Italian wine needs to see a doctor--oh wait, Bucko is a doctor; now that explains it all...