WineBoard
PRICES - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: PRICES (/thread-12491.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Botafogo - 05-12-2001

>>One of the restaurants no longer charges me corkage as a favor -- they get a very nice tip.<<

Bucko, assuming that a "very nice tip" is probably comparable to what the corkage would have been anyway and it is now the server or sommelier and not the restaurant who gets the money, how is this transfer of revenue either a benifit for you or justifiable in terms of the restaurant's bottom line??? Just curious, I feel we are REALLY into "religious" territory now if the point isn't the money but who it goes to.....

Roberto

PS: an added factor in pricing wines by the GLASS is waste: you can just about assume one glass per bottle lost through oxidation or spillage or other means if you have a large selection of wines by the glass and they don't move quickly.

- Botafogo - 05-12-2001

Bucko, another related subject:

Any thoughts on why, after beating the crap our of suppliers and / or taking advantage of the closeout policies of idiotic liquor companies, we offer a truly delicious wine for under $5 and almost NO ONE is willing to try it and we have to GIVE them the first bottle? I am constanly amazed by people's whining that "wine is too expensive" and then you give them a perfectly good $12.99 wine from a known appelation and quality (recent) vintage that is orphaned in the distribution system and we are selling the last 100 cases for $3.99 and they won't touch it.......

- Botafogo - 05-12-2001

But my FAVORITE is "Roberto, that Barbera you gave me is the best wine I've tasted all year but I need something else for my dinner party because I can't serve my guests a $9 wine". And, here in too much money, too little sense LA LA Land, sometimes it's I can't serve my guests $25 wines" or even "$50 wines"......

And don't get me started on the "I know 'X' famous Champagne is crap and expensive crap at that but it's for my boss and he won't appreciate something better if he's never heard of it"........... I always want to answer "would he appreciate a pair of 19 year old red headed twin sister supermodels with legs up to their necks coming on to him...even if he had never met them before?" but I (usually) stop myself.

I think it would be really interesting for many of you here to work a week in a retail store (and this is not condescending scolding but an invitation to see through the other side of the mirror). Many of my vendors help us at Christmas and say they learn more about both what consumers really want and humanity in general in an afternoon than they do in years of talking to trade buyers.

Roberto

- winecollector - 05-12-2001

Roberto- I'll be glad to take a case of the $3.99 stuff off your hands, as well as the pair of twins.... should work out to about four bottles for each of us....

- Botafogo - 05-12-2001

Ok, but act fast as there are only 15 bottles left (after we "seeded" it people started borrowing their brother-in-laws' vans to take it ten cases at a time!).

Luigi Righetti Soave Classico Superiore "Campochiaro" 1997

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 05-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 05-12-2001).]

- Thomas - 05-14-2001

I generally think restaurants overcharge for wine, and I come from another perspective: if they charged a fair price they might do more volume, which is how profit is made.

When I eat at a restaurant where the wine prices bother me, I tell them and then I move on.

- Patrick - 05-23-2001

As I have said in another forum, I am new to wines. Therefore when I went to a personal favorite upscale restaurant, I willingly paid $8 for a glass of a Merlot the waitress recommended. When I subsequesntly saw a bottle of same vintage, year and type for about $7 a bottle, I decided not to complain but to learn more about wines so I could make a better purchase decision in the future.
This is merely my opinion and is not meant to criticize the actions or opionions of anyone else.

- chittychattykathy - 05-23-2001

You are wise beyond your "newbie" wine status, knowledge is imperative! Welcome, CCK