WineBoard
Smoked Bluefish dip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Smoked Bluefish dip (/thread-1249.html)

- mrdutton - 01-15-2001

The bluefish was fresh caught last Sunday and was smoked on Tuesday after soaking for two days in milk. The fish was smoked with hickory and oak in my stove-top smoker.

E-mail me for the recipe.

- RAD - 01-15-2001

Recipe, hell! I want to know about catchin' the fish!

There's only a few things I'd rather be doing other than drinking wine, and fishin' is near the top of that list!

Do tell, Mr D!

RAD

- mrdutton - 01-15-2001

Oh gee, no excitement in this fish story. The bluefish came from my neighbor up the street. He's the open ocean fisherman.

He went out 60 some odd miles on Sunday primarily looking for Sea Bass - they landed about 600 lbs. In the process they also caught some very nice sized Blues. Most of them they use for bait fish, but he saved one for me to smoke.

He knows my recipe for the "dip" is good, so he made sure I got the fillets. Heck, I didn't even have to clean the fish. He did that for me. All I did was cut out the blood lines and do the cooking.

- chittychattykathy - 01-16-2001

My brown eyes are now green!

- winoweenie - 01-16-2001

Like Rad, ALL my lites went out after slobberin` all over my derned keyboard. WW

- mrdutton - 01-16-2001

If Mr & Mrs IK make it over here tonight, then you might get a report (I'll do my best to make sure no cameras are allowed). I intend to serve some of the smoked bluefish dip along with some English Cheddar and some Washington State University Cougar Gold.

Plus if I can get my neigbor to give it back, I have some white truffle pate that is oh, so good!!

I think I'll serve it with some sparkling. I have a 1990 Schramsberg Blancs De Noir, a 1995 J Sparkler and then there is the Prosecco.

By the way, I will send you the recipe for the dip, if you E-mail me.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-16-2001).]

- chittychattykathy - 01-17-2001

And some smoked bluefish????!!! Really though, what could I use as a sub?

- winoweenie - 01-17-2001

WoW MrD, You really do your Homework. My next door neighbors oldest son was a professor at WSU and started sending us tins of Cougar Gold for Xmas 10 years ago. My VERY FAVORITE Cheddar of all time. Any of you`se cheese lovers un-initiated best hop on their web-site. winoweenie

- Drew - 01-17-2001

So hold us in suspense, why don't ya? What might be the http?

Drew

- mrdutton - 01-17-2001

CCK - you could use Tuna, Sword Fish (if you can find it), Shark, or Salmon instead of the Bluefish. Any of those would work.

I'd think about going with smoked tuna or shark. Both are very good, IMHO.

WW and Drew - I get the Cougar Gold via the folks at Norm Thompson. This cheese is soooooo good; even better than the 3 year aged cheddar I get from Carr Valley Cheese in Wisconsin.! Norm Thompson's web site is: www.normthompson.com.

WW - Is there a direct order web site? Okay, buddy, hand it over!!! Puhleeeze!!

Tonight I am having some of the bluefish dip on wheat crackers along with a glass or two or maybe even three of 1997 Foppiano Petite Syrah. What a nice combination that is!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-17-2001).]

- winoweenie - 01-17-2001

OK....OK....Ok......the site is www.wsu.edu/creamery. And....tata, they just put up a new batch. YUMMY. the weener

- mrdutton - 01-17-2001

WW - e-mail me your mailing address. I'd like to send you a little something-something. Why?

Cuz you just saved me a whole bunch a money.

Portland, Oregon based catalog company - Norm Thompson - charges $27.50 for each can of cheese.

The Washington State University Web Site you gave me indicates that each can of cheese is only $13.00.

Good gawd, I can buy two cans from WSU and use the 1.50 to help pay for the shipping. That sure beats paying $27.50 for one can and then adding the shipping onto that.

You can best belive that after I finish this entry, my fingers will be stroking the keyboards to produce a letter of STRONG protest to Norm Thompson about their pricing.

Maybe this should be moved to RANTS...!!!!

(GRIN)

However, I will not stop eating the stuff. I'll just buy it from the source from now on.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-18-2001).]

- winoweenie - 01-18-2001

Youse be welcome MrD and all. I forgot they also have a WATS line. 800 457 5442. This is all run by their Alumni association and the profits go to their charities. Never realized there were secondary marketeers out there. It is one wine-friendly package. My fridge is never wif`-out a tin. WW