WineBoard
non-alcoholic wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: non-alcoholic wine (/thread-12387.html)

- marieann - 06-21-2001

I need to know if there are ANY relatively decent non-alcoholic wines outthere. I've heard a little about Ariel from Napa but that's it HELP!!

- Bucko - 06-21-2001

Not being judgemental, but why bother? No alcohol wine is simply grape juice. BTW, the legal definition of non-alcoholic is a product that contains less than 1/2 of 1%
alcohol. This is less alcohol than in most fresh orange juice. Here are the only three that I know of in the US:

Ariel Vineyards
1312 Napa Town Center, Napa, CA 94558
Phone: (800) 456-9472 Fax: (707) 258-8048
E-mail: craig@arielvineyards.com
Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rouge, Johannisberg Riesling,
White Zinfandel, Brut Cuvee, Sparkling Blanc

Fré /Sutter Home
277 St. Helena Hwy. S., St. Helena, CA 94574
Phone: (800) 967-4663 or (707) 963-3104 Fax: (707) 963-2381
E-mail: info@sutterhome.com
White Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Premium Red, Premium White, Sparkling Brut, Spumante

Inglenook St. Regis /Canandaigua Wine Company
Canandaigua West/ Click Here
303 North Bloomfield Rd., Canandaigua, NY 14424
Phone: (888) 659-7900 or (716) 394-7900 Fax: (716) 394-6017
Cabernet/Rouge, Champagne, Chardonnay/Blanc, Spumante, White Zinfandel Blush

Bucko

- winoweenie - 06-22-2001

Marieann, welcome to the board. You no doubt saw the heading Wine Board? Noone on this board gives a piddly about Non-Alcoholic wine. This is an oxymoron. WW

- orbro - 06-27-2001

Marleann--Welcome--

You didn't make any mention the reasons for finding non-alcoholic wines. Perhaps you don't want the alcohol taste or maybe a health reason ??
I have added a note that I sent out in Dec. of last year, from a weekly newletter that I send to some folks here in Oregon who are interested in different aspects of wine. I will also send to you vie e-mail my report on the non-alcoholic wines that I made during a wine tasting.-----

Alcohol-free wine 'just as healthy'

Red wine may be just as good for you without the alcohol

Removing the alcohol content of red wine does not reduce its health-giving properties, suggest experts. In fact, the alcohol may actually shorten the benefits.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, measured the amount of substances called catechins in blood plasma.

These are thought to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.

Volunteers were given either two glasses of normal red wine, and samples from which the alcohol had been removed.

They found no significant differences in the levels of catechins between alcohol drinkers and non-alcoholic counterparts. And concentrations of catechins in plasma dropped more swiftly if alcohol was consumed.

Health claims
Catechins, also known as flavanoids, are believed to be protective against both coronary heart disease and certain types of cancer.

They can also be found in fresh fruit and vegetables.

They are thought to work by working as antioxidants, which protect cells against "free radicals", molecules which can cause damage.

The flavanoids are also thought to improve immune function.
Red wine contains more flavanoids than red or purple grape juice because the process of winemaking extracts more from the seeds and skins.
However, although the alcohol does not appear to contribute to the concentration of health-giving flavanoids, it is thought to benefit health in other ways.
It may be responsible for raising the levels of so-called "good cholesterol" in the bloodstream.

"Bad cholesterol", or low-density lipoprotein, is responsible for the clogging of blood vessels which causes heart disease - the more "good cholesterol there is, the less room there is for "bad cholesterol".

Another ingredient may widen the blood vessels and reduce the likelihood of clotting - both of which can improve cardiovascular health.

The benefits of moderate drinking - one or two glasses of wine a day - are thought to apply to people aged 33 or above. Alcohol consumption above this level confers no extra benefit - and heavy drinking, particularly binge drinking can increase the risk of heart disease, and stroke

But alcohol isn't always essential to the enjoyment of wine. Many occasions call for an alcohol-free alternative. So now you can enjoy all the characteristics of premium wine -- without the alcohol.

enjoy...

seuss

- Drew - 06-28-2001

All well and good but.....it's still not wine.

Drew

- Thomas - 06-28-2001

Ditto, Drew. Nothing said in that newsletter about taste and pleasure...

Incidentally, I am 56, just had a physical; the nurses do not believe me when I tell them that my great blood pressure and cholesterol numbers have to do with my daily consumption of garlic, wine and olive oil, and I mean WINE, not grape juice

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-28-2001).]

- orbro - 06-29-2001

Re: Taste and pleasure on alcohol-free wines. This is what Sutter Home says about their product...

Sutter Home's alcohol-free wine is produced using the revolutionary spinning cone column, which facilitates the removal and safeguarding of fragile wine aromas and flavors at low temperatures, while subsequently removing alcohol at slightly higher temperatures. The wine essences are then reintroduced to the dealcoholized base wine and blended with 25%-35% unfermented grape juice, depending on the wine. The finished product is a fresh, delicious beverage with the characteristic aromas and flavors of premium wine, yet with under 0.3% alcohol and less than half the calories of regular wine.

Tasting Notes
Merlot
This soft, fruity red possesses the cherrylike fruitiness and smooth texture characteristic of the Merlot variety. It should appeal especially to non-alcoholic wine drinkers seeking the health benefits of red wine along with the sophistication of a world-class varietal. Nutritional Information - Serving Size 8 oz. Percentage Alcohol under 0.3%
Calories
Carbohydrates
19g
Percentage Juice
25%

Much like Sutter Home's regular White Zinfandel, their alcohol-free White Zinfandel boasts a pale salmon color, a fresh, fruity aroma suggesting strawberries and cranberries, and soft, fruity, berrylike flavors leading to a crisp, lingering aftertaste. It's excellent both as an aperitif and as an accompaniment to a wide variety of foods. Nutritional Information - Serving Size 8 oz. Percentage Alcohol under 0.3%
Calories
Carbohydrates
19g
Percentage Juice
35%

Sutter Home's alcohol-free Chardonnay is light, fresh, and fruity. It offers inviting tropical fruit aromas and rich, crisp, citrus and apple flavors, with a pleasantly tart aftertaste. Enjoy this fruity, wine-like beverage on its own or with fish, chicken, veal, pork, white sauce pastas and mild cheeses.
Nutritional Information - Serving Size 8 oz. Percentage Alcohol under 0.3%
Calories
Carbohydrates
17g
Percentage Juice
30%

I am 59 years young, drink two glasses of red each night, Excellent health, grow Zinfandel on 10 acres in Northern California, and understand the wants of some of the folks out there who, for one reason or another, would prefer to partake in a non-alcoholic wine, so they too can understand some of the pleasures that we, the "real wine" drinkers, appreciate.

- Thomas - 06-30-2001

Sure, that's ok, but can we agree on one thing: stop calling the stuff non-alcoholic "wine."

The product you described (or Sutter Home describes) is subjected to some sort of chicanery that purports to put back something it took out, and it isn't non-alcoholic; the rest of it is at least 25% grape juice.

I don't know of any wine that is produced like the above stuff. It should have a name, but certainly not one with the word wine in it.

- barnesy - 07-05-2001

I knowticed on the "Fre" label that it doesn't say "wine" anywhere. It says "grape beverage." Much like the non alcohol beers just say "Malt Beverage." Since it was fermented at one point in time...We could take a cue from "Prince" and call it "The Grape Product Formerly Known as Wine."

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 07-05-2001

Orbro, just decided to read your post. All you've done is replay the promo stuff on the label of this dreck. If you are in the wine biz and can honestly tell me that when you drink any of these suckers you can smile and say, " Wow, Good WINE ", then I'll say without reservation that you need a palate check-up. As stated earlier, the name of this board is " Wines. Com " not " Grape Juice. Ugh" Who gives a Big Rats' Patootie?WW I suggest all go to Welches' Concord. PFFFTT

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-06-2001).]

- Tasting Room Girl - 01-07-2003

I happen to be very interested in low or no alcohol wine. My husband and I enjoy wine very much (I work at a winery) but now that I am pregnant I have been advised by my Doc that I can't drink alcohol. What's a gal to do? Pair her crown roast of lamb with coca-cola as some here have suggested?

I have tried Sutter Home (YUCK!) Fre merlot and chard- both have so much residual or added sugar they taste like spoiled syrup. Ariel chard is better- dryer, less fake oak. The cab is OK... Is this as good as it gets?

Also- to the one who says they have never heard of adding juice back to wine...WRONG! Take a visit to your local winery and ask some questions and learn a little bit before you spout off.

- Thomas - 01-07-2003

Tasting Room Gal, your rather harsh comment will be met with civility, but I am the person who you think posted that grape juice is not added back to wine. What I said was in reference to that particular product orbro touted as non-alcoholic wine.

I know that some wines get a dash of juice for sweetening because laws do not allow adding sugar. I also know that adding juice can increase volume, but I do not happen to like the practice...

Oh, and for your edification, some on this board have been in the wine business for a long time. Guess who they are?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-07-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-07-2003

Wow, I can't believe this thread got reopened. Orbro sounded back then like not much more than a marketing shill. Interesting that he's from Willamette Valley but he grows Zin in NoCal. The commute must be hell.

Tasting Room Girl - There are quite a few folks here who have been ITB for probably more years than you've been alive. We know all about adding and subtracting various substances when making wine. Did you know that Clos Pegase's award winning Merlot is made by draining off about 15% of the juice at crush. All the stems, seeds and skins go with the rest of the juice to make a more highly concentrated wine. The 15% is bottled as a Vin Gris de Merlot. And, that spinning cone technology Sutter Home touts is not revolutionary. It's been around for years. Anyway, the bottom line is that a wine that's had most (never all) of its alcohol removed is no longer a wine. Finding a good dealcoholized wine is a tough task. Alcohol is a very important component of wine because it affects the aroma, the mouthfeel, the taste and the overall character of the wine. When the alcohol is removed, then the remaining product is missing a vital part of its entity. How would your favorite baseball team be if they've had their shortstop removed - permanently? How would your car drive if it now had three wheels? It's the same sort of thing if you remove the alcohol from a wine. On top of that, do you think any winery would remove the alcohol from their better wines? Not likely. They use lesser bulk wines, remove the alcohol and add back some flavorings. Yuck!

- winoweenie - 01-07-2003

This stupid thread is back???? What is there about the statement " No Way Wine Wif'out Alcohol" Don't you unnerstand young lady? And yes, I've been around the wine business before you were a glimmer in Pops' eye. AGAIN......the name of this board is WINES.COM. ww