WineBoard
Need a good price-where to buy? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Need a good price-where to buy? (/thread-12381.html)

- burgergp - 05-31-2002

Elegant, but simple wedding in December with about 250 at the reception. About 175 probably will partake of the wine. Need to watch the budget. Need a good price on white and red wine that would good to serve at a reception. Does anyone know where I can look?? Any internet site where I can purchase wine in volume? I live in the VA Beach area and the wedding is in Huntsville, AL. Have only purchased individual bottles before. This venture is new to me! HELP!!! BKB

[This message has been edited by burgergp (edited 05-31-2002).]

- winedope1 - 06-01-2002

hi burger, and welcome to the board. the expert members here will probably have some great suggestions, but they need some specifics. If you could tell us what is to be served with the wines, and your price range, they will be able to give you more specific info. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by winedope1 (edited 06-01-2002).]

- RAD - 06-01-2002

Hi Burger--

Where is the reception being held? Not to insult your intelligence, but if your reception is at a location that already provides catering services, you might be restricted to their list. If that's the case, you can post some of their offerings in your price range here; if not, then follow the post above and you'll likely receive several opinions.

RAD

- burgergp - 06-01-2002

Hi Thanks all for your help. We will be providing our own caterer; therefore we will be providing the wine. The menu has not been set as of yet, but they are probably going to settle on a buffet that will include chicken, shrimp, salmon, and maybe roast beef as the main servings. Side dishes will be served along with that. I was hoping to stay under $10 a bottle if possible.

- winoweenie - 06-02-2002

Hi Burgergp and welcome to the board. Many weddings have come and gone on the board here and the advice seems to have been very well received. For the reds, I just recently had a Grand-Daughter married and my daughter served the Bogle Merlot. It can be had for under 10 in case lots. For the white, she used Jekels' Chardonnay, again under 10 in case lots. If you go back 100 days on this thread and For the Novice Threads you'll find many more recomendations. Good luck. WW

- burgergp - 06-02-2002

Hi Winoweenie- thanks for the help! Do you know where they purchased the wine. I am wondering where I can purchase in cases and for those prices. Someone suggested SAMS and COSTCO. Burger

- Auburnwine - 06-07-2002

A word of advice: bring your wine with you or purchase it in transit. The prices and selection in Huntsville will probably be more limited (Sigh, we have the highest taxes in the US).

The Bogle Merlot (and/or Petit Sirah) is a good choice. Toward the lower end, there are great quality bargains to be found in the Chilean 1.5 liters. And I think that some of the Northwestern wines (especially the Rieslings and some sweeter whites) are brilliant wines at give-away prices. Columbia Crest Merlot and Cab are just dandy.

Some Aussie reds (Bulletin Place, for example) can still be found at reasonable prices.

- leatherman - 06-07-2002

as for aussie reds the Paringa makes the best shiraz for under $10 imho. the 2001 is super.

I've been thinking about it.

5 glasses per bottle
12 bottles per case (60 glasses per case)

Get five cases (360 glasses). Get stuff you would be pleased to drink if you have left overs.

More people will drink white than red. More people know Chardonnay than other whites, and they know Merlot and Cab more than other reds. You don't need to educate them; just give them something decent to drink.

And if you don't have the stomach to get a washed-out Zinfandel, look for a rose. People like "blush wines" -- so pretend.

One Case - Las Viñas de la Calina 2000 Merlot Maule Valley Reserve

One Case - Concha y Toro 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Xplorador

Two Cases - Columbia Crest 2000 Chardonnay Columbia Valley

One Case - Marqués de Cáceres 2000 Rioja Rosado

Uh, that was 300 glasses from 5 cases.

It's been a long week.

- winoweenie - 06-07-2002

Welcome to the board Auburnwine. I see you graduated Magna Cum Load from Professor Bucko's School of Math. Good having you aboard. WW

- burgergp - 06-08-2002

War Eagle auburnwine!! Thanks so much for the info and advice. You were a big help. My son graduates this Dec from Auburn- School of Business. We will be down for homecoming. War Eagle!!!

- Auburnwine - 06-09-2002

I hope that you have a good visit. We now have at least four restaurants (Auburn City Limits, Terra Cotta, Hamilton's and Amsterdam Cafe) with delightful food and tolerable wine lists. And by the time you get here, there'll be an upscale grocery with a decent wine selection. Slowly but surely Auburn is becoming a real college town.

If we can survive the Board of Trustees and Alabama politics, civilization will have established another small outpost in the Heart of Dixie.