WineBoard
Yearly Top Ten - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Yearly Top Ten (/thread-12371.html)

- stevebody - 01-13-2003

Every year, the wine buyers and salespeople where I work are asked to post a Top Ten of both fine wines and bargains. I've made a real avocation out of locating and talking up value gems and my personal list is now over 100 wines long.

This year was a freakin' bonanza. Lots and lots of new, inexpensive stuff out there and the quality has never been higher.

I thought I'd post my personal pix here and let you see if there's something you missed.

I hope you find a winner here!

Number One (with a Bullet!):
Pepperwood Grove Syrah California - Bob Broman, who runs PG has an eidetic taste memory. If somebody ships him a mis labelled barrel of wine, he calls up and says they've sent the wrong vineyard lot or batch. His customers report that he is ALWAYS right. He buys from some of Napa's and the North Coast's best estates and his skill as a blender is evident in this Syrah cuvee. God, what a wonderful little wine! A world of real Syrah character, black fruit for days, a strong suggestion of CA terroir, even a few rustic notes like saddle leather and hay. I slipped this into a tasting of procey CA and WA Syrahs, including Babcock, Havens, McCrae, Cayuse, Hogue, and even a Katherine Kennedy and EVERYONE of the 14 people picked this No. 1. When I pulled it out of the bag, there were distinct gasps. I buy this by the case and, man, you should too, if you like Rhone wines at all.

2. A-mano Primitivo
3. Botromagno Gravina: 60/40 Greco/Malvasia
4. Laurel Glen Reds
5. Taurino Notarpanaro: Brilliant, overlooked masterpiece of Negro Amaro and Malvasia Nera (I think)
6. Vega Sindoa Red Table Wine: 60/40 Tempranillo/Merlot
7. Ballantyne Zin Napa Valley
8. Abadia Retuerta Rivola
9. Zenato Merlot: More sheer Merlot character than any I've tasted at any price this year and all for about $12
10. Montpelier Viognier: Stunning, real Viognier character, about $5!!

Hope you find these. They're worth a taste.

- leatherman - 01-13-2003

Did you not have the pleasure of tasting any of the Marquis Philips wines? they are easily the best QPR's of the year

- dananne - 01-13-2003

The A Mano and Abadia Retuerta are, indeed, great bargains and two of my favorites for everyday wines. Just to add a few more of my favorite values of the year . . .

d'Arenberg Stump Jump 2000 or 2001 $10
Cline syrah 1999 $10
Bodegas Eguren Codice Rioja 1999 or 2000 $10
Bodegas Y Vinedos del Jalon Vina Alarba Old Vines grenache 2001 $7
Domaine du Pouy Ugni Blanc(?) 2001 $8

- stevebody - 01-13-2003

Dananne: Absolutely on the Alarba, the Eguren, and the fabulous Stump Jump (that my local shop pours for $4 a glass!), but dead batter for me on that Ugni Blanc. I sold tons of that stuff but just never got what everyone saw in it. The Stump Jump and Alarba would have been on that list if it had been fifteen instead of ten.

Leatherman: Marquis Philips wines are not distributed here in Sea-patch. Your address said Millington, which I assume is VT. You guys get some stuff there that we don't get here at all. Possibly vice versa, I guess. But, on my next trip back east, I'll certainly look them up. Thanks!

- Bucko - 01-14-2003

Reds always seems to be a value wine winner. I have turned a lot of people on to this wine for little more than they were paying for swill.

- Thomas - 01-14-2003

My top ten at the store:

Paul Mas Syrah 2000; Coteaux Languedoc $15
Mas de la Bergere 2000: Cote de Bessile $9
Alberice Cabernet Franc 2000; Friuli $14
Marque de Marialva Baga 2000; Portugal $12
Saccheto Merlot 1999: Colli Eugenei $12
Cantina Sociale Copertino 1998; $11
Moulin Beaufort Medoc 1999; $11
Le Brilleaux Pessac-Leognan 1999; $14
Aleandri Sauv Bl 2000; Lison Prammagiore $13
The Ritratti line of wines:
Pinot Nero
Pinot Grigio
Bianco (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Riesling blend)

Putting down only ten was difficult--left out so many wonderful wines.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-14-2003).]

- stevebody - 01-14-2003

Foodie,

Bless you! Some new stuff to try!

Do you ship? Some things on your list aren't distributed here in Ironclad Washington. (Don't get me started on that; the state, here, has to approve EVERY SINGLE BOTLE OF WINE ANYONE DISTRIBUTES! GRRRRR!!!)

stevebody

- Thomas - 01-14-2003

One reason you can't find some of the wines is that is-wine discovered them in Europe and then buys all that comes to NY--we are the only ones to have them. They are:

Alberice Cabernet Franc, Aleandri Sauv Blanc, the Medoc, and the Pessac-Leognan.

Another reason you can't find some is that they are in minimum supply and at small East Coast distributors. It's the kind of wine we like to sell. We have no brand names (or damned few) on our shelves.

As for shipping, well now, can we do that???
email thomas@is-wine.com

- Innkeeper - 01-14-2003

Foodie my shipment of the Merlot and the Picpoul arrived yesterday in good shape. Somewhat cool, but not frozen.

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2003

Is Foodie's Picpoul that good that you get it from him? Not to take sales away from Foodie, but isn't it available locally?

- Thomas - 01-14-2003

Hey KC, I'll be hawking your customers soon...

It is possible this Picpoul is unavailable in many places. I get it from a small distributor out of New Jersey. A terrific buy--$10 a bottle to start, $9 a bottle for a case.

- Kcwhippet - 01-17-2003

We carry the Picpoul from Domaine Saint Peyre at $6.99 retail.

- Thomas - 01-17-2003

Ours is Picpoul de Pinet 2000; Domaine Lou Peyrilhe. "de Pinet" makes it an appellation wine.

I have not had the one you carry, but if it is as good as the above, the price is terrific--far from what the above costs me at wholesale.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-17-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-17-2003

The Saint Peyre is Picpoul de Pinet also. We have it floor stacked near the register and we sell an ocean of it. Often, people see the price and pick up a bottle or two to drink as an alternative to Chard or PG.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-17-2003).]