WineBoard
2001 Masciarelli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Masciarelli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo (/thread-12369.html)

Pages: 1 2

- tandkvd - 12-05-2004

Hey all, hope everyone had a wonderfull Thanksgiving. We have been very busy and my home computer has been down with a virus.

Friday we ordered pizza. I pulled out this wine that I got at World Market for $6.99. This is a very good wine. We had another today with IK's Italian Marinara Sauce (with a few variations according to what I had on hand), over Penni Pasta.

The Masciarelli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo has a strong dark chocolate aroma. The bottle says it has 13% abv, but I would say it is a bit higher. After two glasses I was feeling perty good. But at $6.99 a bottle it is hard to beat.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 12-05-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 12-05-2004

Hi tandkvd

Sorry to hear you were under the weather. I'm a fan of Montepulciano - although few appreciate it - and I'll look for this bottle.

Thanks for the info and I hope you are back to "normal" soon.

wgc

- wondersofwine - 12-06-2004

He said his computer had a virus. Hopefully he did not have the human kind of virus.

- wineguruchgo - 12-06-2004

Ooops! Must have missed that!

So many here in Chicago are under the weather that I must have just assumed it was him!

- tandkvd - 12-06-2004

Yes, I am well physicaly. Thanks for your concern.

Mentaly is another issue though. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 12-31-2004

I just found this wine at a local wine store. Bought a few bottles based on your recommendations! Thanks for the heads up. price was just a bits north of what you noted but still very reasonable.

- Innkeeper - 01-13-2005

Picked up two bottles yesterday at Micucci's in Portland (ME) for $6.99 per bottle. That is $.50 less that Chambers Street's Under $10 list. Have also been drinking it by the glass in a couple of Italian Restaurants we've been to lately. This baby has distribution legs.

Great rush of black fruit and figs on the nose and upfront. Picked up the afore mentioned notes of chocolate among the complex flavors crossing the palate, and it finished nicely.

With true love away, enjoyed a half bottle with sweet Italian sausage with fennel, bottled portabella sauce on penne, and salad tonight. All very, very nice. The other half comes tomorrow night!

- Innkeeper - 01-17-2005

Well the second day turned out differently. Ended up having a couple of bad pieces of pizza after comeing home from shopping. So, that night I was wasn't very hungery. So I had the other half with cheese that night(Friday). Bev got home fromt the funeral on Saturday with our daughter Christy who picked her up very late Friday night in Manchester.

That night we three had the Spanish wine posted earlier, with steak, mushroom sauce and green beans. Then last night, we had ham loaf made from the remains of our Christmas ham with a Salmon Run Pinot.

Tonight we had the pasta and fennel sausages with the second bottle of the Masciarelli. Bev loved it, so will be getting more.

- TheEngineer - 01-19-2005

I finally had a chance to open this one up with a lasangia that my wife put together. Nothing I can add to the tasting notes but I do want to concur with the alcohol. It should be at least a percent or so higher. I could feel it warm me up!

Nice on such a cold day in Boston! Thanks for the heads up again and I'll be back for a few more bottles.

- Innkeeper - 03-28-2005

Another bottle tonight with center cut veal chops that had been seasoned with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic and lightly floured. Sauteed them in EVOO and lard, removed to a warm platter, poured out fat, deglazed pan with Marsala, and poured it over the chops. Served with salad in Blue Cheese Dressing, and the wine. Wonderful.

- Thomas - 03-29-2005

IK, what's granulated garlic? Do you mean garlic powder or do you have a method of your own?

- Kcwhippet - 03-29-2005

I get my granulated garlic from Penzeys (as do some others here)- www.penzeys.com.

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2005

Foodie, think of the difference between powdered sugar and granulated sugar.

- Thomas - 03-29-2005

OK, IK; got it.

I suppose the garlic is dried first, which leads me to ask what would make granulated a good replacement for the real thing?

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2005

The larger granuals hold more flavor longer. Same goes for granulated onion.

- stevebody - 03-30-2005

Shocking factoid: Many, many pizza restaurants rehydrate granulated garlic into what the ones up here, at least, call "garlic mush" and use that as a substitute for fresh garlic. It has a shelf life of maybe a week if soaked in water and upwards of three if oiled and sealed tightly. I'm ashamed to confess that we did that when I owned Joey's Pizza here in Seattle, until one partner quit and I talked the other out of it. It's pungent and garlicky but not as sweet and bright as fresh. Used at home, though, it's not that bad. When I apprenticed with Paul Prudhomme, back before there was dirt, he used it and granulated onion in his gumbos and jambalayas and they were spectacular. Sorry for butting in...

- winoweenie - 04-03-2005

The product from Penzys' Spices is a fine product and in soups, tews, and sauces works perfectly. WW

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2007

Picked up two more bottles from Micucci's on the last trip to Portland. The '03 is up to a whopping $7.99!

Popped one last night with Gnocchi in Pesto (lovely fresh basil also from Miccuci's), roasted garlic chicken sausage, and salad. Same ole Monty; that is: Wonderful!

- Innkeeper - 05-15-2008

Picked up two '04s for $7.99 ea. This was a sale price as the regular is now $9.99 around here.

This is still a great all purpose wine. Matched it with Italian sausages and pasta in tomato sauce last night. Great Wednesday night.

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2008

Another bottle tonight with homemade Eggplant Parmigiano. Yum!