WineBoard
Beautiful Decanters - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Beautiful Decanters (/thread-12310.html)

- mrdutton - 04-19-2001

Wine decanters can cost serveral hundred dollars. Well who needs that when a perfectly good decanter, with a bit of style, can be had for $3.99!

This wonderfully functional glass decanter (no need to worry about lead leaching out into your wine) has a flat bottom for stability, is square at the large end and is round with a large, drip-resistant, opening at the top (pouring) end.

The decanter has a capacity of one liter, so you need not worry about overflowing it when you decant your 750 ml bottles of ancient CS or younger, need the air, tannic oakey fruit bombs.

It comes with some colored looking liquid inside; is supposed to contain some alcohol (I imagine to ensure your new decanter is sterile?!?). The label decribes some flavors to the liquid contents: White Zinfandel, Chardonnay and Merlot.

The manufacturer of these fine decanters is CORBETT CANYON. (I must offer my most humble apolgy to Columbia Crest. I don't know how I made that stupid mistake - it was an honest error.) All along I thought they were a winery. Even the cap on the top says, "use as a wine decanter"! I never realized thier primary intent was the marketing of functional, beautiful, inexpensive decanters.

Pay $3.99 for each one you wish to purchase; they all cost the same no matter the color of the liquid inside.

Remove the cap, pour out the stuff inside, wipe dry and your new decanter is ready for service. However, if you are into cooking you might want to use the yellow-green stuff or the purple colored stuff as a marinade for your chicken breasts or your pot roast.

What a value, all for $3.99!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-24-2001).]

- Catch 22 - 04-20-2001

Are these "decanters" a new item? I haven't seen them anywhere. I confess that I don't spend much time looking in the $3.99 section, but anything different usually catches my eye.

- Bucko - 04-20-2001

I did exactly what Mike did -- I went to the supermarket, picked up six bottles of plonk in liter decanter bottles for $4-5 bucks per, poured the stuff down the drain, voila, 6 decanters, cheap and easy, ready to use for a big tasting. The Waterford still gets used for special occasions....

Bucko

- cpurvis - 04-20-2001

Ahh Mike, you've brought yet another smile to a WITHSTAND member's face. I would only add 'clean thoroughly' between "pour out the stuff inside" and "wipe dry." Thanks for the reminder that at least the container is useful. cp

- mrdutton - 04-22-2001

Catch22, you need to steer clear of the fine wine store and head to the supermarket. Look for the CORBETT CANYON Wines. (Well at least I was consistent with my stupid error.) They market Merlot, Chardonnay and White Zinfandel and maybe others but I've not paid much attention.

Each liter bottle sells for about $3.99 here on the East Coast.

If you find the stuff, buy it, pour it out, keep the glass container. Makes a great decanter. And TRUE TRUE TRUE, they really do make that suggestion on the lid.

For cpurvis: Some of the Rhone wines might like a bit of O2 before consumption, while others might enjoy a bit of separation from the really good vino and the the unfiltered stuff collecting in the punt. These decanters are great for either chore.

And you are correct, I should have added a step to include a good rinse after the pour-out part.

- chittychattykathy - 04-23-2001

CC makes liter decanters? Like the Paul M type? Interesting! I've not only, not seen them in Washington but cannot even find a price for them through my rep. Do ya think he's holdin out on me? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- mrdutton - 04-24-2001

CCK and everyone else. I apologize for misleading you. A glaring error that I should have caught right away. I am sorry I did not catch it sooner.

I got them at the US Navy Exchange Package Store, Oceana Naval Air Station, Virginia Beach, VA.

- Catch 22 - 04-24-2001

Mike,
I only wish I could buy wine in the supermarket here. For that matter, I wish we had stores that were "fine wine" stores. We have only generic liquor stores that carry everything, from Night Train to Bordeaux to tequila. On my next trip, I will make it a point to check out the area where the Corbett Canyons reside. It's certainly worth a look. Thanks for the tip!

Jeff