WineBoard
Asian Restaurant Wine List - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Asian Restaurant Wine List (/thread-1226.html)

- Jackie - 11-16-2006

A friend asked me recently to put together 20 or so wine list suggestions for a new San Francisco restaurant serving Vietnamese/Asian/Fusion cuisine.

It was an interesting project. Here's what I came up with... What do you think folks?

Sparkling Wines
---------------

Zardetto NV Prosecco Brut

Gruet NV Blanc de Noirs

2005, Moscato d’Asti, La Spinetta Bricco Quaglia

Rosé/Blush Wines
----------------
Windsor Vineyards, 2005 White Zinfandel, California, Premium Label

Toad Hollow 2005 Pinot Noir Rosé, Sonoma County

White Wines
-----------
Voss Vineyards 2003 VV2 Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley

Benton Lane 2005 Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, Oregon

2004 Pinot Gris, Villa Wolf (Dr. Loosen) Pfalz, Germany

Bonny Doon 2005 Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, California

Jekel 2004 Riesling, Central Coast, California

2003 Domaine Ehrhart Riesling Schlossberg, Alsace, France

Dr. Loosen 2004 Urziger Wurgarten, Spatlese Riesling, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany

Jekel Vineyards, 2005 Gewürztraminer, Monterey, California

Gewürztraminer, Villa Wolf (Dr. Loosen) Pfalz, Germany

Wild Horse 2005 Viognier, Central Coast, California

Red Wines
---------
2004 (or 2005) Georges Duboeuf, Beaujolais-Villages

The Little Penguin, 2005 Syrah/Shiraz, South Eastern Australia

Dessert Wines
-------------
2003, Pinot Gris, Boxler, Reserve, France

Amity Vineyard 2002 Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, Willamette Valley, Oregon (375 ml)

Husch Vineyards, 2005 Muscat Canelli, Mendocino, California, Estate Bottled

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 11-16-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 11-16-2006

Looks good Jackie. Just two recommendations: a Gewurz from Alsace, and a Claret style Zin. Incidentally we have a bottle of Toad Hollow 2005 Pinot Noir Rosé for the lighter drinkers at Thanksgiving this year.

- TheEngineer - 11-16-2006

I would agree that this is a nicely compiled list for what I'm assuming is a decent $-$$+ restaurant.

In addition to the above. I would also add one more item to the list and that would be a Pinot Noir which can go well with Asian seafood dishes. Good focus on the Riesling and Gwertz from many places. Also they should watch to see if diners end up always asking for a Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz. Diners are not always the best judge of wine pairs. "I know what I know and I know what I like", so hey, why fight it. I would have an offering of each just to have it (or as a special).

- TheEngineer - 11-16-2006

o...something else. Two fantastic rieslings for per glass or bottle sale (due to low price) are:

Dr. Loosen L
August Kesseler R

Easy to find too.

- wondersofwine - 11-16-2006

Nice Riesling selections. Maybe consider a Cirque du Rose blush wine from Snoqualmie. I haven't tried the Voss Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc but St. Supery, Honig and Joel Gott are all California Sauvignon Blancs that I have enjoyed. You might throw in a New Zealand S.B. such as Kim Crawford or Selaks to extend the Pacific Rim idea.

- Jackie - 11-17-2006

Good feedback. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I had the most trouble with the red wines. It's true that people like to order what they know, even if it's not the best match. I was looking for some fruity, light reds that would be versatile enough to pair with several different menu items. A Pinot Noir might work. I don't know where to start with Zin on this... I was thinking they were too tannic. What would be an example of a good "Claret-style Zin", Innkeeper.

BTW, be sure to tell us what you think of the Toad Hollow 2005 Pinot Noir Rosé for Thanksgiving.

I recently tasted an Alsace Gewurztraminer that I quite enjoyed. It's a 2004 Gewurz from domaine Zind Humbrecht in Wintzenheim. Nice spice, slightly sweet. I could have added this. Also like the idea of another S.B.

Jackie

- Innkeeper - 11-17-2006

For a claret style Zin recommend BV Napa.

We acually drink the Toad Hollow Pinot Rose' today with grillpanned salmon because our rose' drinker isn't coming.

It gives you a flower garden on the nose and upfront. Ripe strawberries and red cherries with bone dry complexity trot across the palate, and it finishes nicely.