WineBoard
2000 Trapiche Malbec - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Trapiche Malbec (/thread-12255.html)

- girlperson1 - 02-16-2003

While cruising the aisles of my favorite wine palace, I literally ran into a very charming gentleman from Argentina who began talking with me about the various reds. He handed me a bottle of 2000 Trapiche Malbec (Argentina) and while he said I would not consider it the best, I also would not be disappointed. For $6.00 a bottle I guess I won't go wrong.

- Innkeeper - 02-16-2003

He was right; you were not wrong.

- Drew - 02-17-2003

Their regular bottling is nice but I don't have a palate for their "Oak Cask" bottling....way, way, over oaked.

Drew

- zenda2 - 02-17-2003

Agreed, stick with Trapiche's cheaper 'regular' malbec and avoid the oak splinters.

FWIW, Trapiche also makes a malbec/merlot blend under their second label -- Falling Star. It's hard to beat for the $5 price. Imported by Wildman, a very nice 'quaff' and worth keeping on hand in case you want a red wine but you have friends who dislike tannins. It's very, very smooth. Maybe not too exciting, and it's not complex. Just a tasty drop at a very nice price that goes well with food. That's not such a bad thing.

Trying to find our tasting notes on other Malbec wines is kinda tough around here. We don't really have a South American forum, so our notes on Argentinian Malbec and other S. American wines are scattered here, there, everywhere. Try searching thru the "Wines without a category" section.

- dananne - 02-18-2003

You're right about the difficulty finding malbec tasting notes. For anyone who is interested, here are some quickie comments about malbecs I've tried in the last year or so. If anyone wants more detailed TNs on any of these, just let me know!

1999 Balbi Malbec/Merlot blend, $10, Smooth tannins, good fruit for $ -- my wife called this a "chick wine"

1995 Trapiche, $10, Moderate oak, but luscious and fruity

1999 Trapiche, $10, Not as good as the '95, more vegetal and bell peppery

1999 Bodega J & F Lurton, $12, Good, clean black fruit, liked it for price

1997 Felipe Rutini Reserva, $17, Initially finished hot, improved with airing with tobacco, leather, berries

1999 Catena, $20, My favorite Arg. malbec last year, juicy, round, plum, tobacco, blackberry jam

1996 Wienert, $10, Ew. Stewed prunes, smoke, short finish.

1999 San Telmo, $9, Bloody-tasting finish, not pleasant

For those who like local wines and visit the southeast, a N. Georgia winery called Tiger Mountain Vineyards makes a great malbec that's all about blackberries and smooth vanilla. Very well crafted and yummy.

Also, a S. Oregon winery, Abacela, makes a very well-structured malbec designed for aging a bit (but, it pales in comparison with their staggeringly good tempranillos).

Hope these little malbec notes are useful for someone!