WineBoard
poll - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: poll (/thread-12208.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Duane Meissner - 01-28-2008

It's been at least 5-6 years since I've logged on. Glad to see quite a few of the names I remember from back then.

I've been participating in a "wine society" at the seminary where I study, and this month is a "bring your own bottle". I don't have near the experience as most here, so I thought I'd get some suggestions. What is your all-time favorite, easy to find red out there at or under $25?

- Innkeeper - 01-28-2008

Hi Duane, and welcome back. Look for Hedges CMS Red.

- brappy - 01-29-2008

I second the CMS by Hedges!!!!!!! Should be able to get 2 for $25.

mark

- hotwine - 01-29-2008

Welcome back. Look for the 2001 Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva at Costco or Spec's. It should be priced very close to your $25 limit.

- TheEngineer - 01-29-2008

Wow..I'm gonna haveta look for the Hedges. The All time favourite part is tougher for me. There are a few that I like at this level

(1) Muga Reserva (around $20)
(2) Lafon Monthelie la Duress ($25-$30)
(3) Seven Deadly Zins (around $18...might also get a chuckle out of the name at the Seminary)

- Duane Meissner - 01-30-2008

Thanks! I'll definitely try the Hedges sometime myself. For our meeting I think I want to go with something old world, though (knowing my company). Hotwine's Chianti sounds good too, but slightly over the strict $25 limit at every place I can find it (We don't have a Specs here in St. Louis, and I'm not a Costco member). I'll keep my eye open for the Muga Reserva. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open. Thanks again.

by the way, is our beloved Winoweenie still around?

- VouvrayHead - 01-30-2008

I'm in St. Louie, too.

Try the Wine Merchant in Clayton.

They'll be able to give you a number of knockouts at that price range.

- Kcwhippet - 01-30-2008

Welcome back, Duane. There's a really nice red from Italy I've been revisiting quite a bit lately. It's the Morellino di Scansano, and you should be able to find it at most any decent wine shop for $20 or less. It's basically about 85% Sangiovese and 15% Cab Sauv. The one I like right now is from Rocca della Macie.

Right now the Weener is in Las Vegas at the annual rug merchants show trying to drum up some business. He'll be back in a few days.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-30-2008).]

- Drew - 01-30-2008

Interesting thread. While I like the Hedges CMS as a quaffer, I don't think it's all that. I'm a big fan of an Australian Shiraz, Pirramimma that I've followed for years. Easy to find in my neck of the woods for $25 and under but can't speak to where you are. Just a suggestion.

Drew

- zenda2 - 01-30-2008

Y'all ever shop over at Lukas Liquors in
Ellisville? The KC version has a nice wine selection.

http://www.lukasliquor.com/StoreLocations.aspx

I like rhones, at the $25 price point I might look at Coudoulet de Beaucastel Red or something along those lines.

http://www.beaucastel.com/vins_int.php?vin=5&langue=en

- wondersofwine - 01-30-2008

I like the idea of the Muga Reserva or the Condoulet de Beaucastel. A good Rosso di Montalcino is another option. Maybe the wine shop manager/salesperson could recommend a good one or let you try one before purchasing. You should be able to find a nice Beaujolais Premier Cru for that price range--maybe a Brouilly or Cote de Brouilly.

- winophite - 01-30-2008

I wish I'd of gotten into wine 20 years ago so I could match wits with you all, but...anyway in my limited experience, a friend brought by an inexpensive ($13) bottle I enjoyed, I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned here,
Cono Sur pinot noir. A Rothcild product from Chile, I think. WP

- VouvrayHead - 01-30-2008

Yep, Been to good ole Lukas Liquor a number of times. Huge selection, fun place!

- Duane Meissner - 02-09-2008

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, I had to stop at the wine shop (Wine Merchant in Clayton) at a time when I did not have your suggestions handy. I ended up going with the suggestion of a guy who worked there. I bought a 2006 Cellers Can Blau (Spain - Montsant) at $16 + tax. It is a Mazuelo, Syrah, Garnacha blend. To go with it, a really nice Spanish Mahon raw cow's milk cheese. Hopefully these will go over well. I'll post comments and list some of the night's winners after the tasting. Thanks again!

- winoweenie - 02-09-2008

Great-Heavens-To-Betsy the Mity Duane be returned! Did a 1-2 year strech meself onced. Glad your back. My own personal favorite for an under 20 per clatter is the Joel Gott. Drinks more like a 40 and has enough whiskers to improve for at least another 2-4. At the 25 Level I'm hooked on the Archipal. Lovely meritage that kicks some serious patootie. Velchomme back DM.
Drink heavily, stay outta' jail, and post often. BPR, WW

- Duane Meissner - 02-12-2008

Good to see your smiling posts, WW. Wine tasting is tomorrow, so more on that in a couple days.

On an unrelated note, I just got accepted for an all-expense paid study abroad program in Oberursel, Germany. I'll be there all next school year. Too bad they only do whites well over there. We'll do plenty of traveling though. I hear they're doing good things with wine over in France...

- hotwine - 02-12-2008

That looks to be near Frankfurt, right? You can be in France in less than two hours. But do take time to see the Mosel region, esp. Bernkastel. You're going to love it over there!

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2008

The French wine region you will be closest to is Alsace. Just go to Strasbourg and inquire.

- wondersofwine - 02-12-2008

And try a few Spatburgunders (Pinot Noir) from the Rhein or Baden regions. They won't be earthshaking but they might be pleasant.

- Duane Meissner - 02-15-2008

Thanks for the tips. The wife and I can't wait to get over there!

As for the results of Tuesday night's tasting (about 12 different bottles)...

My 2006 Can Blau actually tied for first place in the vote. (details in previous post) Better reception the second time around after being open for an hour.

The other one in first place was a 2004 Domaine Les Pallieres Gigondas (though it was $2 over our price cap of $25). Also very nice.

My personal favorite, though, was another Spanish wine - a 2005 Juan Gil. Not as popular with everyone else. $16

Also very popular all around was a 1991 (yes, 1991) Kabinet riesling from Mosel. Delicious. Probably the most complex and sophisticated white I've ever had. It held up very well. Can't recall who made it (it was a last minute addition, so it didn't make the print-out for the night). $22

[This message has been edited by Duane Meissner (edited 02-15-2008).]