WineBoard
Finding the right Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Finding the right Merlot (/thread-12196.html)

- casualdrinker - 05-19-2000

I am not a big wine aficionado but I know what I like.like I like Kendall Jackson, Chardonnay because of the slight sweetness. Is there a comparable Merlot? I realize that they are different types of wine but based on what I like can you give me any suggestions? I am tired of buying cheaper Merlots that I do not care for.

- hotwine - 05-19-2000

Assume you're you're looking for a sipping wine, as opposed to a food accompaniment. Merlot doesn't lend itself all that well to simple quaffing at the end of a long day; in my not so humble opinion, it needs to accompany a meal, especially a steak dinner.
So suggest you look beyond Merlot to another red wine category, such as Beaujolais, which has hints of slight sweetness that might appeal to you. If you'll look down the list of forums on the Wine Board, you'll see a discussion topic specifically on Beaujolais that might provide you with some ideas on alternative wines within that category. Based simply on what you stated, I would recommend you try three of the cru Beaujolais from Georges Duboeuf: Fleurie, Julienas and Reignie, which are generally available in better wine shops. The '98's have now been released and are superb, but the '97's are also exceptional.

- Innkeeper - 05-19-2000

Agree with Hotwine's comments about Beaujolais, and am currently enjoying the '98 Cru Beaujolais. There are a couple of best buy Merlots that might pass for quaffing. They are Sutter Home and Ecco Domani. Both have big time marketing muscle behind them, and, thus, are available everywhere.

- cellarmate - 05-20-2000

Three of my current favorites at the price point and drinkable straight up, or with a slice of cheese are the:
California 1997 Abbeville Merlot which has a BD91 score and is $10.99 in my area. I really enjoy the Australian 1997 Wyndham Merlot in the groceries here on sale for $9.49. From Washington state and a little more robust is the 1997 Columbia Crest Merlot at $10.99. As I write this it occurs to me that 97 was a good year and or leaving it back for a couple of years makes merlot even softer if less sprightly. None of these are sweet in any way but the Wyndham particularly is not harsh on first tasting without food. You can also move way down in price and find sweeter if less complex wines in jugs. As much as I like to explore the complicated tastes of good wine I also have great memories of one evening in a hot tub with the only wine available in a remote Virginia town called "Old Mr. Mack" not sure it was fermented but it tasted like grape juice and almost certainly had a substantial amount of alcohol or some other
psychotropic substance. I remember most of the evening anyway. "It's all good if its good for you" Enjoy

- mrdutton - 05-20-2000

Yesterday I bought a case of 1998 Jean Descombes Morgon.

Three bottles are gone already.

Wife and I, our neighbors and another friend went out to dinner last night. We all had hamburgers and a bottle of BV Pinot.

After the meal we went home and sat around outside - the weather was great - chewing the fat. Some cigars were lighted (not me, I don't smoke).

The Morgon was chilled and the three bottles just seemed to vanish as the evening wore on.

Very nice company, great wine!

- winecollector - 05-20-2000

10 bucks says the other nine bottles won't last till the end of the month!

- mrdutton - 05-20-2000

I certainly wouldn't make that bet! The wine was purchased with quaffing in mind. Plus my brother and sister-in-law are visiting for Memorail Day weekend.

Lots of hamburgers and other grilled foods planned. Lots of evenings sitting on the deck, relaxing and quaffing.

The other nine will be gone by May 30th, of that I've no doubt.

- hotwine - 05-20-2000

The missus is to return from Houston tomorrow evening with my Morgon and Chiroubles <pant, pant>. Sweet sister-in-law picked 'em up from Spec's during the week, and had them waiting for her yesterday. Hope those girls haven't liberated more than one bottle from each case....

- Caesar - 05-21-2000

I think I would agree with hotwine's comment and consider another varietal(stand-alone merlots can get a little pricy).Some Zinfandels would fill the bill. Clos du Val 1996 comes to mind...fruity, round, gluggable, visions of a gas grill, music and sun.
If price doesn't bother you, try out Garry Farrel 1997 Merlot, Russian River. Outstanding!(Not a lot of backbone, but a LOT of fun to drink.)

- Caesar - 05-21-2000

I think I would agree with hotwine's comment and consider another varietal(stand-alone merlots can get a little pricy).Some Zinfandels would fill the bill. Clos du Val 1996 comes to mind...fruity, round, gluggable, visions of a gas grill, music and sun.
If price doesn't bother you, try out Garry Farrel 1997 Merlot, Russian River. Outstanding!(Not a lot of backbone, but a LOT of fun to drink.)