WineBoard
'04 Finca El Portillo Cabernet Sauvignon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: '04 Finca El Portillo Cabernet Sauvignon (/thread-12193.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-19-2006

2004 Bodega El Portillo, Estate Bottled, Alto Valle de Uco, Finca El Portillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza ($8.99 Chambers Street). The bodega changed it's name, so we're starting a new thread.

Intense red hits the eye. Spicy jams on the nose and upfront. Blackberries, cassis, and a little mint, and Mendoza dirt cross the palate, with almost completely smooth tannin. A very nice finish. We still think this could be the very best value in an under $10 Cabernet. The tannin should completely resolve in a few months, and we have seven more in the rack.

Matched with broiled fillet steak in bacon rasher with Morton rub, roasted baby Yukon Golds, and salad in Raspberry/Hazelnut dressing. Good to last drop.

- stevebody - 04-23-2006

BTW, IK: I owe you a big thankee for alerting me to this stuff. When we were getting ready to open, I remembered your notes and bought a couple cases. I poured it and they were gone in two weeks. Since that, I've sold about 20 cases and have several people who buy case lots. SOLID stuff and definitely NOT the usual fruity, poufy SA Cab.Just tasted this year's and it's even better. You ever get out my way, I'll spot you a bottle of something nice.

- wondersofwine - 04-24-2006

Steve, nice of you to give credit where due.

- Innkeeper - 04-24-2006

Thanks for the compliment Steve.

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2006

We had another tonight and it was smoother still, after less than a month. We matched it with our Salisbury steak in mushroom sauce, and salad with blue cheese dressing. Yummy.

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2006

Well it's getting kind of hot here and the plumber has not freoned our air conditioner yet, so I grilled a steak on the bottom element of our smoker (the grill is being reconditioned) for our first outdoor meal here. Also had microwaved baby red potatoes with garlic and EVOO, and salad in blue cheese dressing (no stove, no oven, no broiler)! A bottle of this lovely washed it all down. Very nice indeed!

- Innkeeper - 06-13-2006

We had it today with rib steaks that we rubbed with EVOO and Morton rub; then grilled them over hickory chips (first time in a long time) over charcoal. Fantistic with salad in blue cheese dressing. Great way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2006

Another last night with porterhouse steak in Morton rub over charcoal with mesquite chips. Accompanied with roast red potatoes and salad. All very nice for a Monday night.

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2006

Finished my last one over the last two nights with two different beef dishes including very nice Teryaki last night. Found out they have it in the New Hampshire Liq Stores, and Chambers St doesn't at time, so we will be back business soon.

- cheers2wine - 08-15-2006

hmmm I think I need to see if I can find this wine in California.

Cheers2Wine

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2006

Apparently Bodegas Salentein is a nice place to visit as well. The following is from Wine News (August/September 2006), Travel “Argentina, Postcards from the Land of Buen Vino,” p. 64.

“Bodegas Salentein lies father north, in the Tupungato sub-region, a couple of hours by car away from Mendoza City. Founded in 1996 by Dutch investors, the spacious, beautifully designed winery includes an art gallery, restaurant and wine bar. A gracious eight-room posada (inn) on the estate welcomes wine travelers who can enjoy the swimming pool, or go horseback riding, fishing and hiking in between tasting adventures. Salentein produces an array of labels. El Portillo (made at an adjacent facility) specializes in ripe, jammy Cabernet and plumy Merlot; within the Salentein line itself is a spicy, peppery Shiraz; and top-tier Primus features big, tropical Chardonnay and creamy Pinot Noir (from $9 to $17).”

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2007

Had an '03 tonight as this wine has finally made it's way to the NH Liq Stores. Even tho it should be a step up from the '04s or '05s, their stay the unrefrigeratored NH Liq Store Warehouse could have stunned their growth. It was still very nice.

Matched it with leftover Beef a'la Mode, mashed potato stuffing (from Christmas), red cabbage & English peas. Couldn't have had a better Sunday night supper. Killed the bottle meself!

- Innkeeper - 07-07-2007

Another (and last) '03 tonight with burgers and salad. Nice quiet and slightly rainy night.

- Innkeeper - 07-08-2010

Haven't seen this baby for a while. I checked our state index for it and found that it was only in our local store! Grabbed a couple and found at the check out that they had a case that was on special order and not picked up, and won't be ordering more unless I wanted a case. I just might do that.

It was an '07 and drank just as nicely as previous vintages. We matched it with Kielbasa braised in it, pasta salad, and spinach. Very nice mid-week meal.

- Innkeeper - 12-18-2010

Our other '07 tonight. We enjoyed it with seared and roasted rib eye with blue cheese on my part and butter on hers. Also split a mini baguette and some succatash. Simply wonderful.

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2010

Haven't had succotash since I left my parents' house when I went off to college (and that was 50 years ago!!!). Hate lima beans!!!