WineBoard
2009 Nobilo Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 2009 Nobilo Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc (/thread-12169.html)

- newsguy - 02-10-2011

I've had a couple vintages now of this bottling, and they are consistently very good wines and are outstanding values. I meant to post on this last summer.

Bright gold in color. Lots of lime then lemon lead the way, plus a bit of grapefruit, with just a tiny bit of green pepper in the background. And none of that "cat pee" that ruins so many New Zealand sauvignon blancs for me. Very good, big nose and flavors, and a medium-length finish. Works as a pop and pour, yet a half-empty bottle corked and put back in the fridge still holds up great a day or two later. This wine has enough acidity to kick butt with shrimp cocktail, scallops and a chicken with mustard sauce (I've tried it with all three in the past few days), yet not so much acidity that it can't be enjoyed on its own. Simply a d-mn good bottle of wine and a great value at the $10-12 I usually find it for. A no-brainer case buy at $9.99 per bottle. 89 points.

And I preferred it a bit over the 2009 Mulderbosch Stellenbosch SA Sauvignon Blanc that I also had with these dishes (and costs $20 per bottle). A very good wine, but just liked the Nobilo better even without considering that it's half the price of the Mulderbosch.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-10-2011).]

- TheEngineer - 02-10-2011

Hey Newsie!

Long time no hear! That does sound GREAT. I like the Mulderbosch version especially for the price and if that is better than that for half the price...wow!

I'll look out for this and thanks for the heads up!

- newsguy - 02-10-2011

Yeah, the Mulderbosch has always been one of my fave $20 sauv blancs. So I finally decided to get a bottle and open it alongside the Nobilo bottling to put the latter in perspective, since I've enjoyed the h-ll out of it and probably drank at least a case over the past year. Well, not only did it stand up to the Mulderbosch, it was more enjoyable. And my semi-regular wine shop here in DC now has the Nobilo on sale for $8.49 a bottle. Time to load up.

BTW, you ever get down this way? Would be nice to raise a glass or four together. My ex has moved from Boston to Chicago, so I don't forsee me having a reason to get up your way anytime soon.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-10-2011).]

- TheEngineer - 02-11-2011

If I head that way I'll definitely let you know! It would be grew to share a bottle or 4 with you too! I use to come down more as I use to work with the Federal government agencies but I don't work that market any more so less reason to go. But I'll definitely keep this in mind!

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 02-10-2011).]

- winoweenie - 02-11-2011

I feel it's my duty to give you this uniinvited warning Eng.....Make SURE you have a confirmed reservation for a place to crash 'afore youse start drinking wif' this dude!!!WW (velchomme back noble fren')

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 02-11-2011).]

- newsguy - 02-11-2011

do get in touch if you get down this way, engineer. we will drink.

and WW, how are you my friend? I think the key word in your post was "crash." [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img] i do recall *you* were the one who brought *six* bottles of '94 cabs/meritages to our dinner in vegas. and those were just the leftovers at the end of the week.

sorry i haven't been posting much the past few years. i haven't been taking TNs in quite a while; life's just kind of gotten in the way. but i'll definitely be posting more here now. BTW, a friend of mine is really bugging me to come visit him and his family in the phoenix area. i'd only come out if i knew i could see you on the same visit. what say you, verne?

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-11-2011).]

- winoweenie - 02-11-2011

Love to see you NG. Let me know when you're planning the trip. Rite now isn't the best of times as you may have seen CB is recovering from a serious bout with the "Big C". We mite be able to replicate them dudes as I still have a scoch of 94s. BPR, WW

- Drew - 02-12-2011

Nice to see you back Newsie....Was the Nobilo the Icon or Regional Collection?

Drew

- newsguy - 02-13-2011

Verne: I did not know about CB or I would have gotten in touch. I am so sorry to hear that. Having had many people in my life have to battle cancer, I can tell you her attitude is everything in this. And it *can* be beaten. My GF is living proof: 11 years after ovarian cancer and NO recurrence, thank God. I'll get in touch if/when I start considering a timeframe for the trip. Would probably be a couple months off. Stay strong, mi amigo.

And Drew, speaking of people I still need to drink with! Do you ever get down to DC? I live right at the DC/MD line and got rid of my car in 2009 because I was paying a ton for it to sit there parked for weeks at a time, since I can take the Metro or walk just about anywhere in the area. It would be great to find a way to finally meet you and share some wine. And the Nobilo was the Regional Collection.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-13-2011).]