WineBoard
Chateauneuf-du-Pape - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Chateauneuf-du-Pape (/thread-12020.html)

- MontereyRick - 12-04-2002

Was reading about WS's wine of the year and trying to learn more about this varietal. Can someone please tell me what type of varietal commonly found in California that this is closest to? I'm interested in buying some but know nothing about this region or varietal? Thanks in advance.

found elsewhere:
"Chateauneuf-du-Pape - (Shot-toe-noof duh Pop)
An excellent, complex red dry wine from the Rhone region of Southern France, made from a blend of up to 13 specified grapes and boasting a heritage that reaches back to the Fourteenth Century sojourn of the Catholic Popes in nearby Avignon (hence, "new castle of the Popes")."

- Bucko - 12-04-2002

Unfortunately, there is nothing close in CA, IMHO. The Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault and Carignan that they blend in CdP work magic.

In CA, Marietta Old Vines is acceptable, but it is usually 50% Zin.

- Innkeeper - 12-04-2002

Thirteen grapes do not make A varietal. KC can rattle them off in a heartbeat. It is a very nice wine usually, but always sells in the high twentys and up. Three of the grapes that make nice varietals or blends more or less by themselves are syrah, grenache, and mourvedre. I love California Mourvedre with a splash of grenache. The folks in Oz regularly blend two or three of these together. Rosemount GSM sells out immediately every year.

- Auburnwine - 12-04-2002

Is Grenache ever used in the U.S.? I have had it as a great blending wine and lovely varietal from Spain and Australia, but have never noticed it in the U.S.

- dananne - 12-04-2002

My "poor man's California substitute" for CdP is Le Cigare Volant by Bonny Doon (widely available for anywhere between $23 and $30, depending on where you buy it -- yes, it's not much of a discount from the real thing).

They also make (or used to make) a grenache. I found it a nice picnic wine, but a bit thin.

- Scoop - 12-04-2002

CNPs are big, robust and complex wines, ideal companions for hearty fare like herb-roasted lamb or wild boar. Even though their price tag is mostly $20 and up, they still represent a relative value. This southern Rhone appellation benefits from a hot, dry climate, augmented in many CNP vineyards by "galets" or pudding stones, which absorb and reflect heat, bringing the grapes to incredible ripeness (and heady alcohol levels -- min. 13%). Truly one of the world's great wines. The 1989 Beaucastel ranks in the top five wines I've ever had.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Kcwhippet - 12-04-2002

For some reason, I've kind of lost my fondness for Grenache. We burned through a bunch of French, Spanish, California and South American wines with Grenache as a major player over the past few years. It seems only the OZ GSM's have any appeal anymore. Is this what it means to be jaded? Actually we seem to be going for the ones with Mourvedre as the biggie in the mix lately.

- Innkeeper - 12-04-2002

For you non grenache fans, go git yourself a Gigondas, preferably a '99. Two of them ended up in WS's top twenty last year. Enjoyed one with Scoop and others in The Apple a year or so ago. It runs 90% grenache.

In Spain is marries up with tempranillo as the junior partner in Navarra, one of my favorite Spanish wines.

- Bucko - 12-04-2002

Dananne brings up another salient point. Very often the wannabes are as expensive as the real thing. I am an admitted CdP geek. I purchased about 12 cases of the 98s alone. They are such food friendly wines. As IK says, Gigondas wines are very fine as well -- got a couple of cases of the 98s.

- Thomas - 12-05-2002

Re, grenache: a good winemaker with good grapes can truly offer an experience with this varietal, especially when blended with tempranillo, and of course with other Rhone grapes. I do also like mourvedre.

On the subject of CA vs.the Rhone: I have yet be persuaded that the money spent for the CA versions gets me any more or better value than the money spent for the real Rhones, and when I buy the Rhone I get a sense of place in the wine, which I do not get in CA versions.