WineBoard
Petite Sirah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Petite Sirah (/thread-11970.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Thomas - 03-21-2000

Just as an afterthought, in the early 1970s I lived in Tehran for two years. During the Shah's regime Iranians stuck to their roots and made wine.

I used to drink a dark, red wine called 1001. It was peppery and chewy and it was produced near the famous city of Shiraz, where of course the grape is believed to have originated. If Aussi or Rhone or Calif. S. can come close to what I remember in that wine, I feel lucky--Rhone seems to do it more often than the rest of them.

Incidentally, Iranians near the Caspian Sea (close to vinifera's origins) made marvelous Riesling.

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2000

Dutton is right about the Parducci with beef. Had it with grill-panned sexed up sirloin patties last night. Mmmm good! Had not enjoyed that wine for about twenty five years. Sure is great to meet up with an old friend again.

- mrdutton - 04-12-2000

Well let me just say this about that. I am not sure that I am glad that this thread survived the great disaster of April 2, 2000 or not...........

As for Petite Sirah being related to Syrah, I thought I posted a very detailed piece that seemed to implicate some relationship. I quote: "DNA analysis report, (9/1997), has shown as likely to be derived from the Peloursin and Syrah parent cultivars found in the Rhone region."

So it may not be pure, but if the Petite Sirah was derived from the Syrah parent cultivars, does not that mean that it is related?

Another item...........

I recently traveled to the Tampa, Florida area where I managed to find a wine store (which is an unlikely occurance here in Virginia) with a tremendous selection of wines (Although they did not have the 1997 Rosemount GSM yet. But not to worry because it is not in south-eastern Virginia either).

I purchased a bottle of 1998 Fat Bastard.

Here is my question: What do you think, should I drink it now or should I set it aside for 3 to 7 years or whatever number of years might be appropriate?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-12-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 06-12-2000

Had another bottle of the Parducci tonight with mesquite grilled lamburgers and batter fried eggplant. Fantastic! Go get acquainted with an old friend again soon!

- winoweenie - 06-14-2000

I`ve been a fan of petite sirahs` for years. The Stags, Concannon et al have made some big, hairy, long-lived wines, but IMO for anyone wanting to taste the essence of the Petite grape and you`re in a reciprical state, order the Santa Cruz Mountain Duriff. Ken Burnap makes one that ages it patootie-off.Had a 78 ( my last ) 2 months ago and it was stunning. He also makes a Syrah, Cab, and as discussed on another thread, one of the, IMHO , best Pinots in Calif. As yopu can see, Ken calls his bottling Duriff. Winoweenie