WineBoard
Bogle Petite Sirah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Bogle Petite Sirah (/thread-11963.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-27-2002

2000, Bogle, California, Petite Sirah ($9). When researching prior posts on this baby, I noticed that the Crumster hisself recommended an earlier vintage as a Best Buy. When I spotted an open case of it on the floor of the Blue Hill Wine Shop, I asked the prop when it would be ready to drink. He said, "right now." Since I have more PSs snoring away than I had ready to go, had been on a quest for some approachable ones. So we gave it a go last night.

It was ready. Nice black fruit with mild pepper and spice on the nose and upfront. More fruit, pleasant complexity, and smooth, but noticiable PS tannin, that nicely lingered on the finish. Matched quite well with grillpanned boneless sirloin, sliced and served with aux jus.

- Bucko - 03-27-2002

I sure liked their 2000 Merlot for a value wine.

- Drew - 03-27-2002

Bogle is doing some good things with the grape at good prices.

Drew

- JohnG - 03-27-2002

IK,

I realize that this question is not wine-related, strictly speaking, but I've noticed you making reference to "grillpanning" in a number of posts. What is this method?

I thought the Bogle 2000 Merlot was a very good value as well; I'll have to try their PS.

- Innkeeper - 03-27-2002

A grillpan is a skillet like device with raised ridges crisscrossed on it. They are all heavy and come in round and square versions. Unless you want to do a lot of scouring, it is best to get a very good non-stick one. Mine is a 10" square ScanPan from Chef's for $79. The basic idea is, you use it just like an outdoor grill set on the medium heat of your stove's largest burner. They are great in climates like mine where you can't grill all year. Have had mine for a couple of years and have used it three or four times a week in the off-season, and quite frequently in summer when I don't feel like firing up the grill. Get one, for sure, with an ovenproof handle, because there are many recipes that use a combination of stovetop and oven cooking. There are many cookbooks on the market on how to use the things, but they are not needed. Just use them like a grill.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-27-2002).]

- JohnG - 04-02-2002

Thanks, IK. Grilling is seasonal here as well (it snowed yesterday), and grillpanning sounds like a nice alternative.

I picked up some Bogle PS ($9.99) and plan to try it soon.

- Kcwhippet - 04-02-2002

We have a big oval Le Creuset grill pan. Like IK says, it's great for grilling on the stove when it's a bit inclement outside (like it usually is here in New England in the winter). We use ours 2 to 3 times a week.

- winoweenie - 04-02-2002

Had both the 99 Petite and the 2000 Bogle Merlot at a friends in Lake Havasu. Both are super P/Q wines and very food-friendly. Ordered a box of each today. WW

- jmcginley1 - 06-01-2005

I have to bring this thread up to the top for two reasons...

One, I just bought a grillpan(look above) and I love it. I just made some pepercorn encrusted steaks on it and they came out wonderfully.

Two, I am drinking the Bogle Petite Sirah with said steak. This wasn't planned.

This is the 2003 version, and it is lovely. Tasting notes are similar to the above 2000's, with less noticable tanins, and a nice currant/blackberry nose.

carry on.

- Glass_A_Day - 06-01-2005

Never understood the hub bub about this wine. Tried numerous vintages and veritals and never liked a one. I have yet to try the Phantom from the other thread though. Maybe...

- Innkeeper - 06-01-2005

Thanks JM.