WineBoard
1998 Cotes du Rhone Villages - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 1998 Cotes du Rhone Villages (/thread-11747.html)

- mrdutton - 02-07-2001

Am taking a chance here, because I am buying this baby untasted. However, the price is okay with me. So if the wine proves to be as good as all the other 1998 Cotes du Rhone wines I've sampled thus far........... then I am ahead of the curve.

Geerlings and Wade says:

Once France’s sleeping giant, the Rhône Valley is now showing that she’s got what it takes to be in the big leagues, and this stellar wine is proof positive! The 1998 Michel Bernard, Côtes-du-Rhône Villages is the best “under $10 red” we’ve tasted from this region – or any other – a stunning value at the price of $7.99/bottle for Members ($8.49/bottle for Non-Members).

Anyone out there run across this one? If so, what did you think? Be honest, I have a thick skin and can take the abuse.......... GRIN!!!

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2001

Any, repeat any, '98 C-D-R-V for eight bucks is worth pursuing.

- winepoppi - 02-08-2001

Mr. Dutton, I had a case, but only 6 left. I personally enjoyed it. IMHO a super value. Some of G & W offerings have really impressed me over the years.

- raggedy1 - 02-08-2001

I didn't particularly care for the Louis Bernard CdRV. I found it to be thin. It wasn't offensive, just didn't offer anything in body or finish. Did I get a bad bottle???

I said it before in this forum, but the best 98 CdR I've had for under 10 bucks is the Chateau des Tours. Anybody had this one???

- ddf68 - 02-08-2001

I've got 4 or 6 in the cellar as yet unsampled.

Raggedy, have you had the Louis Bernard CDP? One of the Denver wine shops keeps flaunting it, but I'm reluctant to go on WS recommendation alone.

ddf

- raggedy1 - 02-08-2001

I've only had the Bernard Cote du Rhone and the Cote du Rhone Villages (both subpar in my book). I passed on the CdP since I've already loaded up on so many other 98 CdPs that were recommended to me. Just for reference, I was not encouraged to buy the Bernard CdP in question.
Wine Spectator scored the Bernard CdRs and CdP highly. After tasting the CdRs, I'll pass on the CdP.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question, but I passed on this one and am enjoying many others in the same price range.

- mrdutton - 02-08-2001

Well so far two for and one against. But the wine I'm buying is Michel Bernard and the wine that Raggedy1 mentions is Louis Bernard.

Same same??

It will be here tomorrow. Need to give it a rest for a while and then I'll find out for myself.

- ddf68 - 02-09-2001

MrDutton, wineaccess lists rhone wines by a Louis Bernard and also by a Chateau Beauchene Domaine Michel Bernard so I'm guessing that the two wines are not same same. For what it is worth Parker gave the Beauchene Chateauneufs relatively low scores. No mention of the CDR.

ddf

- mrdutton - 02-09-2001

What I purchased was the Michel Bernard CdRV.

If Parker gave the Domaine Michel Bernard CdP a relatively low score, then I might enjoy this purchase afterall! Mr. Parker and I are diametrically opposed when it comes to taste buds!

All 24 bottles arrived today! I will allow them to rest, but I just might pop one open later tonight just to see if there is any potential!

I think there is potential. Great fruit on the nose and the palate, a decent level of acid and a slightly astringent, velvety smooth mouthfeel and a nice long, spicy finish from this un-rested bottle of CdRV. Some wood, but more like cedar than oak. I really like the spice on the finish.

I think I am glad that I bought two cases!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-09-2001).]

- Drew - 02-10-2001

"wishful thinking"
Function: noun
Date: 1932
: the attribution of reality to what one wishes to be true or the tenuous justification of what one wants to believe.

<"I think there is potential">....boy is that wishful thinking! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- mrdutton - 02-10-2001

Oh for Pete's sake!!! Jeeessssshhhhh!

Alright, alright, there is potential, once this sucker rests, for this wine to be scrumptous. Happy now??

GRIN.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-10-2001).]

- winoweenie - 02-10-2001

Now Now fellers, settle down and swish the liquid in your glass the way Mother-Weenier 'tot youse' to. WW

- Thomas - 02-10-2001

Would that be wishful drinking?

- Drew - 02-10-2001

More like drinking wishful...

Drew

- mrdutton - 02-10-2001

Shouldn't that be "drinking wishfully"?????

GREAT BIG GRIN [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 02-10-2001

Or as he said, "Ish drishful winking, thash what it ish!"

- Drew - 02-10-2001

You guys arn't taking this board seriously!
He, He, He.....

Drew

- Innkeeper - 06-29-2002

Picked up a 1999 Louis Bernard C-D-R-V for $7.99 at an end lot the other day. After reading all that is available here, don't know whether to drink it or make stew with it. Anybody have experiance with the '99?

- Innkeeper - 10-27-2002

Popped the '99 the other night with roased lamb rack and eggplant salad. It was a very nice CDRV. It was not thin, had good body, with spice and tar across the palate. An excellent value.

- toddabod - 11-16-2002

Bought a Cotes du Rhone Villages Sablet last night. This might be a new favorite of mine. The Grenache grape is very impressive. I had a Spanish Priorat the other night with the Grenache grape as well. The tannins were very soft with the Sablet. I think I will enjoy the South Rhone wines more than the North Rhone wines because I am not a big fan of heavy tannins, such are found in the syrah varietal.

[This message has been edited by toddabod (edited 11-16-2002).]