WineBoard
Wine to accompany meatloaf - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine to accompany meatloaf (/thread-1173.html)

- hotwine - 01-08-2003

The meatloaf recipe she used last night contains a lot of fresh garlic, in addition to the usual onions...and in this case, a topping of tomato sauce. I served up a Cline Syrah last night, and that was OK....but wondering about an alternative, for tonight's leftovers. Sides are green beans with shaved almonds and garlic mashers. Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2003

Pop a Marietta Old Vine Red. Goes great with ML.

- Drew - 01-08-2003

Old Vines or "Reds", Bonny Doon "Big House Red" or a medium bodied zin would match fine, IMHO.

Drew

- hotwine - 01-08-2003

Thanks, guys.

- Bucko - 01-08-2003

Too late for dinner, but Carole and I enjoy a Petite Sirah from David Caffaro with meat loaf. David's Petites are usually less aggressive than many, like Bogle and others.

- hotwine - 01-08-2003

Thanks, Buckster.

- zenda2 - 01-10-2003

I load my meatloaf with garlic, mushrooms & onions, it can hold it's own with rustic, robust reds. Several of the red blends already mentioned (REDS, Marietta Old Vines, Big House Red) taste great, and another good choice that won't break the bank is Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache.

[This message has been edited by zenda2 (edited 01-09-2003).]

- stevebody - 01-13-2003

Coppola Rosso, a blend of Syrah, Cab, Sangiovese, and Zin. Hearty enough to get past the beef and spices, just acidic enough to cut the fat. About $8. I sell this with my meatloaf in all three restaurants and my customers LOVE it.

- Thomas - 01-14-2003

Since my meatloaf is made as if it were a big meatball, I usually have Italian reds with it. No beef in the loaf--I use ground pork and veal.

- Innkeeper - 01-16-2003

We cooked one of our traditional meatloaves last night and popped the second to last of our Marietta Lot #29 with it. Don't know whether it was affected by the heat when we brougt it and its brothers up for a Christmas Party or not, but it had morphed into something else (probably on the way to oblivion), but at the moment it was kind of sensational. We have one more bottle, and one more half of meatloaf.

- Bucko - 01-16-2003

Uhhh, Foodie, veal is beef, just a little younger. Been in the Watkin's Vanilla again?

- Innkeeper - 01-17-2003

There is a difference between eastern and western veal. Eastern veal is a white meat, while western veal is hard to tell from beef. Having lived on both sides of the mighty Miss, that is my experiance.

- Thomas - 01-17-2003

Ik is correct. Veal here is from milk-fed calves; the meat is white and light and, provided the purveyor is good, tender.

In fact, most veal dishes I prepare (except the meatloaf or meatballs) are well paired with white wines like Riesling and Chardonnay.

But Bucko you have provided me with some insight--not the first time. A long time ago on this board there was a discussion about pairing wine with a veal dish. Now I know why some on the Left Coast were talking red wine, and I was talking white. I never knew what IK points out about Left Coast veal.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-17-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2003

Sigh! Last bottle of the the Lot#29 last night. That bottling was their best yet. Hear the #30 is even better!

- Bucko - 01-25-2003

All the veal that I buy here in WA doesn't look like beef..... doesn't look white either...... kinda in-between.