WineBoard
Wines with dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wines with dinner (/thread-1172.html)

- NaaNaa - 09-26-1999

Ok, hi everyone. I am needing advice on what to serve with several different dishes.
The first is a Marinated Chic. breast covered with onions a portabella mushroom and provolone cheese, served with zesty red potato and carrot mixture.
The next is Pork, either steaks or loin chops baked with thinly slice potatoes and onions, served with broccoli with toasted sesame and parmesan cheese.
Traditional shrimp scampi is my next dish, served with a veggie medly with italian spices.
The last dish is thinly sliced sirloin steak marinated in homemade teriyaki sauce, served with glazed carrots and roasted red potatoes.
any help would be greatly appreciated. A few different sugg. for each meal would also be appreciated. Looking forward to your reply.
The price range here needs to stay around the $10.00 to $20.00 range.
Thank you very much.

[This message has been edited by NaaNaa (edited 09-26-99).]

- misterjive - 09-28-1999

see my reply to your question in forum 101.

- Randy Caparoso - 09-29-1999

Well, let me give your menu a shot; since if this is the order that you're serving, it might get awkward if reds are served before white, heavier reds before lighter reds, etc.

Your first dish (chicken) sounds Mediterranean-ish, and so a good start would be a dry style rose from southern France (a Tavel Rose or a Corbieres Rose) or Italy (like Regaleali Rosato from Sicily). This way you get a red wine flavor (to complement the strong flavor of the cheese and onions), but in a cool, easy drinking format.

This sets up a sensible opportunity for a white wine with the second course (pork), which I would make an alternative type such as a dry Riesling from Alsace or Australia, an off-dry Kabinett or Halbtrocken Riesling from Germany, or Bonny Doon's crisply fruity (yet bone dry) "Pacific Rim Riesling" from Washington St./Moselle sources. In other words, "another" white wine for the "other white meat." In any case, good acidity and a touch of sweetness can certainly add some juiciness to the pork, and play off the natural sweetness in the onions.

Your next course brings up some question. When you say, "traditional" do you mean just garlic with olive oil or butter, or will you introduce tomatoes and green herbs? Makes a difference. If it's the former, stick with Misterjive's Gavi suggestion, or a Pinot Grigio or Arneis -- good, crisp, flavorful, dry Italian whites always do the trick. The Zenato Lugana -- with its flinty, crisp, shiny fruit qualities -- from Veneto would be my own special suggestion. But if you're going to throw in some tomatoes, a lighter style Sangiovese from Tuscany (Antinori's Santa Cristina, or else a Carmignano, a Sangiovese di Romagna, or Rosso di Montalcino) has just just the right amount of acidity, brightness of cherry-like fruit, and soft, easy tannin to punctuate the snappy, sweet/sharp tomatoes, but not overpower the shrimp.

Sirloin with teriyaki in your fourth course brings up some caveats: Do a red wine (because red wine goes with red meat), but make sure it's fairly soft and fruity tasting (no big, thickly tannic Cabernets!) or else it will fight with the sweet, gingery soy of the sauce. In that case, I suggest a soft yet elegant California or Oregon Pinot Noir, which are always the best choices for potentially troublesome matches. If you're going with California Zinfandel, do not go with the biggest, thickest thing you can find. Choose a jammy, but moderately sized, Zin, like Ridge's "Sonoma Station," Lolonis "Redwood Valley," Robert Sinskey's "Adventures of Zinskey," or Rancho Zabaco. You might be tempted to go with Merlot, but in my experience it does nothing for teriyaki style meat (lacks the spicy berry fruitiness of Zinfandel, and is not soft and silky like Pinot Noir). Third and fourth alternatives would be California style Sangiovese, which is fruity yet somewhat full tasting (Swanson, Babcock, and Luna are good choices); or a fruity, soft style of Syrah (like Qupe's "Central Coast").

Let us know what you end up with and how it turned out, okay? Good luck!