WineBoard
Jaboulet Wine Dinner in Raleigh - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Jaboulet Wine Dinner in Raleigh (/thread-11717.html)

- wondersofwine - 05-03-2004

Frederic Jaboulet was present at Enoteca Vin for this special wine dinner. Chef Ashley did her usual wonderful job with the dishes.
The first course was pan-seared diver scallop with fava puree, grapefruit and fennel accompanied by 2001 Cotes-du-Rhone Blanc "Parallel 45." The white wine was medium gold with some viscosity and scents of pear and white flowers. It had proper acidity and subtle, if any, oak. Quite nice with the scallop. My end of the table all enjoyed a second small pour of this wine.

With North Carolina littleneck clams in a tomato herb broth with grilled bread and aioli we had a 2001 Tavel Rose' "L'Espiegle."
We all enjoyed the clams and I also liked the subtly spiced tomato broth. The rose' was a delight. Blush color, clear and shimmery. Nice light berry aroma with chewy berry/strawberry tastes and a long finish.

With verrry slowly braised, BBQ Niman Ranch pork shoulder with marinated avocado and wild watercress we had a 2001 Beaume-de-Venise Rouge and 2001 Crozes-Hermitage "Les Jalets." One foodie at the table said she never would have thought of avocado with barbequed pork but we liked the combination. The meat was wonderful and the wines were very pleasant. This was a debut vintage of the red Beaume-de-Venise which opened up aromatically and on the palate with some airing. It had a nice aroma of blackberry and plum; opening up to be somewhat like a berry liqueur. The Croze-Hermitage showed more depth and potential for aging. It had some complexity and a lengthy finish with a touch of spice. The vineyard was planted as long ago as 600 BC by the Phoenicians and is devoted to 100% Syrah grapes.

Fourth course was seared rack of lamb with Laura Chenel chevre (goat cheese), Yukon potato crisps, and marinated finely chopped Barnier olives with herbes de Provence. We were privileged to try both the 2001 and the 1983 Hermitage "La Chapelle." The 2001 was 15.5% alcohol. It showed chewy tannins and dark fruits--medium body now that will develop with aging. The 1983, considered a premier vintage for Hermitage, delivered 3800 cases (usually produces almost twice that). Will age another 10-15 years. It is still tasting youthful. I sensed currants and prunes on the palate but could be off since I lack experience with Rhone wines.

The dessert course was supposed to be strawberry-rhubarb tart with mascarpone crema but since Susan and I don't like rhubarb and think it's strong aroma and taste interfere with wine tasting, I had called ahead and asked for a substitute dessert. We had panacotta with strawberries. The wine was 2001 Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise. It was quite nice and probably typical of the varietal.

I chatted with three women at my table (one of whom I met at the Charlotte Wine and Food Weekend and told her about the Jaboulet dinner). We found we had a lot in common. One attended the University of Michigan as an undergraduate where I went for my Masters and her mother lives in Fayetteville where I live. Another went to James Madison University and Susan's distant relative was President of the University when Michelle attended there. Michelle and Susan both lived in the same area of the Virginia suburbs for a time, etc. It was fun to discover what we had in common--all in different professions.

Forgot to say that the wines were offered at special prices that night starting with the white Parallel 45 at $9.99 a bottle (for pick up in about a week). I ordered two bottles of the Croze-Hermitage and two bottles of the Tavel Rose' "L'Espiegel." (Both were about $15-$16 before taxes I think). The 2001 Hermitage "La Chapelle" was over $100 and the 1983 may not have been offered.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-03-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 05-03-2004

Have enjoyed their wines for many decades. Have had their La Chapelle and Cote Rotie in past more affluent years. Their Les Jalets is excellent year in and year out so long as you give it four or five years. Unfortunately although we have been big Parellel 45 fans in the past, their quality seems to have slipped, and there is much more better at the same price.

- hotwine - 05-03-2004

I agree on the P45, IK. Haven't bought that in maybe a couple of years. Was always dependable, but doesn't seem to be now. Hard to pin down, but recall that the fruit seemed dead the last time I tried it.

- winoweenie - 05-03-2004

DON'T YOU EBBER WORK WOW ...or duz we jes party alla' time? Great lineup of both food and wine. The CDPs' had some whiskers and one a beard. Would love to have buried my schnozz in that sucker. For some reason I didn't buy any Rhones from 78 until the 87 vintage. Drank the last 78 Guigal Cote Rotie a whilst ago...think I posted on that delicious sucker. In a sabbatical untoil the Lakes son will be salivating over enny post with wines over 2-buck-chuck.WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 05-04-2004

Well to take in the Jaboulet dinner I drove up to Raleigh after getting off work at 4:30 PM and changing clothes at home. Arrived at 7:15 PM and people had not yet taken their seats at the tables. I didn't leave the restaurant until about 10:30--got home after midnight and had to be up at 5:30 the next morning to go to work. (I usually try to stay overnight in Cary after a wine dinner in Raleigh but didn't do that this time).
I'm at work now so I better get off the web and back to work!