WineBoard
Roast Duck with Orange sauce and what knid of wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Roast Duck with Orange sauce and what knid of wine? (/thread-1170.html)

Pages: 1 2

- chittychattykathy - 02-17-2001

It maybe a bit late, but hey, I've been gone a while! I would say Tokay Pinot Gris, if it was just duck, but... duck with Orange sauce would need a Gewurtztraminer, IMHO this dish calls more for spice and less for smoke.

- Thomas - 02-18-2001

Thanks Kath, you are right-on, as I was earlier.

- Innkeeper - 02-19-2001

Was over in the reading room on wines.com front page noticed that Dick Brown in the Florida Times-Union article on wine storage (very good) he followed it up with some TNs. One was 1997 St. Supery Meritage, and one of the foods he recommended to have with it was duck. White wine with duck indeed!

- Thomas - 02-20-2001

And so this guy is an expert? Gewurztraminer is a red wine in a white disguise, and its spice cuts through that glaze and fat.

In fact, just last night I sampled a duck l'orange at a dinner with Shiraz. The match was not altogether bad, but I still craved a Gewurztraminer--or even a dry Riesling.

Never underestimate those two wines--you too, ww.

- winoweenie - 02-20-2001

Foodster. Must admit I'm a closet Gevurtz fan. One of the few SWs' I use with regularity. If I don't feel like opening a 10-15 year old Pinot or Merlot I sneak under the covers and bring out the ( SOB ) Tramiener. It is a versatile and very enjoyable wine , even tho the sucker is completely devoid of COLOR. WW

- chittychattykathy - 02-21-2001

WW, It's okay, we're here for you. (and we understand the power of the Gewurtz.)

- Thomas - 02-21-2001

Ha, ha, ha; I had this vision of Verne standing in front of the group admitting his Gewurztraminer compulsion...

A number of years ago I did an experiment with two reds (Rhones) and Gewurztraminer; served them in black glasses, at room temperature and then asked a few people to identify the white wine. Quite difficult for everyone to do.

- mrdutton - 02-21-2001

I need make no effort......... You all are turning yourselves into Wille G converts!

- winoweenie - 02-21-2001

I Protest. Under NO circumstances will I rob a bank. Willie convert my Indian Patootie. WW

- Innkeeper - 01-01-2002

For our New Year's dinner tonight we had the slow cooked duck with orange sauce and wild rice stuffing. Matched it with a '97 Chateau Du Hureau, Saumur-Champigny. The wine was at its peak and married wonderfully with the dinner. Cabernet franc just doesn't get any better.

- winedope - 01-01-2002

MG- good for you- many people are afraid of duck. Julia Child has several good recipes in her Cooking with Master Chefs, and in In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs. If you are looking for a book devoted to fish and game, try the LLBean Game and Fish Cookbook. It is very informative and is priced at $25.95, item #4Q014, available from the LL Bean Company. I checked their website and it is currently available. IK- recipe sounds like a classic. My favorit is pan-seared duck breasts served with a beet and bitter greens salad, topped with crumbled blue cheese,walnuts and red wine vinaigrette. WD

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 01-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 01-01-2002).]

- Hal - 01-08-2002

Cooked a duck for the first time over Xmas holiday. Julia Child's recipe directed a hotter oven for 1.5 - 2 hrs. Jacques Pepin says cook slow over 4 hours. What to do? I just kept an eye on it. Nearly roasted my eye. I think the key is to puncture the skin in many places to help the fat drain. I used a rack in the pan to keep the bird out of the fat and turned it over once. For the sauce I sauteed the giblets and neck in some rendered fat with onion, celery, carrot and herbs, then deglazed the pan with OJ and finished the strained sauce sauce with grand marnier. Came out terrific. If I had a Gewurtz we would have drunk it, but we drank a Crozes-Hermitage and had a grand time.

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2002

Sounds great Hal, and welcome to the Board.

- wondersofwine - 01-08-2002

You've got me salivating. Sounds like a feast. I will copy both IK's and recipe and
Hal's suggestions.