WineBoard
Roast Duck with Orange sauce and what knid of wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Roast Duck with Orange sauce and what knid of wine? (/thread-1170.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mgmartin - 02-07-2001

I'm new with wines. Like the topic says I'm going to be cooking Roast Duck with Orange sauce but what wine should I serve? Red or white? Brand? Please keep the price under $40 unless there is a "MUST HAVE" for more than that. Also is there a "rule" to follow. Example use white's with fish and red's with beef, ect? Thanks for you help.

- Catch 22 - 02-08-2001

Welcome to the board, mgmartin. I normally drink a Pinot Noir with duck. However, I don't use an orange sauce. I don't know how that might affect the pairing, but I'm sure others will jump in if I'm off base. As a thought, possibly a Syrah might go
with the duck as well. As far as brands and price, go to your local wine merchant and see what they would recommend. You have plenty of options within your price range.

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2001

You need a red with high acidiy to handle the orange. The pinot that Catch 22 recommended could do the trick. We think that a cabernet franc from the Loire Valley would be a little better for these reasons: it is a little higher in acidity than the pinot; the green, herbaceous notes match better with the dish; and Duck a l'Orange is a regional dish of the Loire. Look for Chinon, Bourgueil, Anjou Rouge, or Saumur-Champignay. IMHO the Saumur would be best; you can get a good one for $14 or $15, or you could blow your whole budget.

There are no hard rules on what wine to have with which food. You need to look at the individual dish. Generally speaking, lighter dishes call for white wine, and heavier ones call for red. Some people drink only red, or only white, and that is possible. The characteristics of the food and wine are what need to be matched. In the example above, the acidity of the food and wine were matched. The high tannin in cabernet sauvignon and syrah/shiraz match with fatty meats like beef steak or lamb. Sweet wines such as Port match with sweet desserts.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-08-2001).]

- mrdutton - 02-08-2001

You can get some mighty good wines for way less than $40.00......... There are no rules, only thing that counts is what your own taste buds tell you about what you like or dislike! Duck is a wonderfully rich meat that pairs nicely, IMHO, with reds rather than with whites.

Duck with Orange sauce is a mighty tasty dish, that's for sure.

Try a red from the Loire, a Zinfandel from California (Bonny Doon, Cline, Burgess, Rancho Zabaco to name but a few), or an Australian Shiraz.

And above all, like Catch22 said - check with your local wine merchant!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-08-2001).]

- barnesy - 02-08-2001

If you can't find a loire red at your local wine shop, which I couldn't in my small market. There is a very good bottle at wine.com for 15 bucks.

1997 Chateau Gaillard Touraine-Mesland Rouge, Les Vieilles Vignes.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2001

You can get a Chateau du Hureau, Cuvee des Fevettes, Saumur-Champigny from www.garnetwine.com if you need to get it online.

- winoweenie - 02-08-2001

mgmartin, welcome to the board. Had a marvelous duck a`la orange in Las Vegas Last Friday nite. Also had a marvelous green peppercornsauce on the side. Mixed the two and had bottle of 96 Syrah from Dehlinger and a bottle of 97 zinfandel from Biale, Monte Rosso.Both were great with the duck and both sauces. winoweenie

- Catch 22 - 02-08-2001

IK, You stated above that a Syrah/Shiraz goes better with fatty meats. I find duck to be relatively fatty and am just slightly confused as to why you feel it wouldn't work that well. Just asking, as I pretty much always have Pinot Noir with duck, but I'm always trying to learn.

- mgmartin - 02-08-2001

I thank everybody so far for their insites. I have two red wines already, both Amana Colonial wines. (if you have never had an Amana Colonial wine, try some!) One is a Cranberry the other is an Elderberry. Does anybody have thoughts about using one of these with the meal?

- Thomas - 02-08-2001

Always ready to throw a wrench into the mix--Duck with orange sauce: Gewurztraminer.

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2001

Didn't have any problem with syrah going with the fatty part of the duck. Problem was the orange. Syrah hasn't enough acid.

- mrdutton - 02-09-2001

Mgmartin said:

>>I thank everybody so far for their insites. I have two red wines already, both Amana Colonial wines. (if you have never had an Amana Colonial wine, try some!) One is a Cranberry the other is an Elderberry. Does anybody have thoughts about using one of these with the meal?<<

Sorry, mgmartin, but those are not wines. They may be fermented juices of various fruits........ but not wine. Wine, by definition, comes only from grapes.

- winoweenie - 02-09-2001

Catch,.The duck I normally have today has been hung in a heated room to allow most of the fat to drain into the chest cavity. (Ala Peking). I personally dopn`t like the fatty duck of yore.And IMHO the leaner meats with the sauces add up to a red wine lovers "Happy Meal". WW

- Catch 22 - 02-09-2001

WW, I agree with what you are saying about getting rid of the fat. I usually make duck at home, and grill it slowly or smoke it. Either way, most of the fat goes by the wayside, making for better eats!

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2001

SLOW ROASTED DUCKLING WITH ORANGE SAUCE:

Duckling(s)
Orange juice
Orange peel (zest)

Take a duckling (or as many as your oven will hold) and clean it up. Remove neck and giblets from cavity, excess fat from tail area, tail, neck flap, and outer two joints of wings. Thoroughly wash and dry inside and out. Reserve parts except fat for stock. Render and reserve fat for comfit. Pour half cup of orange juice over and into each bird. Rub into skin. Sprinkle with orange peel and place on a rack in shallow roasting pan in a 225 degree oven for seven hours. Don't baste or disturb in any way, but be sure temperature stays stable. Oven thermometer recommended. Remove from oven and cool on another rack. When cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate at least overnight, or freezer until needed. When ready to serve, thaw if frozen, cut into serving pieces (quarters or halves), place cavity side down on rack in roasting pan, and cook at 450 degrees for twenty minutes. A baking dish of stuffing can be finished along side the pan of duck. Serve on bed of wild rice stuffing, and top with generous amount of orange sauce.

ORANGE SAUCE (for each duck)

1 C Orange juice
1 tbl Sugar (or pkt of Stevia)
1 tbl Cornstarch
1 tbl Sherry

Dissolve cornstarch in sherry. Add to orange juice with sugar and bring to boil. When thick and clear, it is ready to serve.

WILD RICE STUFFING:

1 C Wild rice
4 C Rich turkey or chicken stock
1/2 C Butter (one stick)
1 Chopped onion
1 C Diced celery
1/2 lb Your favorite mushrooms
1/2 tsp Dried marjoram
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tbl Lawry Salt/No salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

Cook rice in stock in pressure cooker for 45 minutes under 15 pounds of pressure. Let pressure go down naturally. Meanwhile slice mushrooms (either whole or just caps). Cook onion and celery in butter, add mushrooms and saute lightly. Add seasonings (if using fresh herbs, triple quantity). When rice is ready, add this mixture to it. Put in baking dish, and bake alongside duck for the 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

Serve with Saumur-Champigny.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-09-2001).]

- mgmartin - 02-09-2001

innkeeper,
Thank you for the recipe. Is there a good book out there with all kinds of recipes for duck?

Mrdutton,
after thinking about it for a second, I should have realized that wine only comes from grapes. :-) Yet these others are very tasty.

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2001

MG, I'm sure there are duck books out there, but can't come up with one off the top. The genesis of this recipe is a tiny missive called "Recipes from Hickory Stick Farm." Hickory Stick is a great restaurant in Laconia, NH that features their version of this duck. Installed this one in several military clubs under my responsibility when in the Air Force. Most of the managers opted for a simpler bread stuffing, as do the folks at Hickory Stick.

- janrob - 02-13-2001

I think the board is showing their bias for red wines here. Red or white should be your choice. My first reaction would be an Alsatian Pinot Gris. It's soft enough to balance the slight sweetness in the sauce, unoaked, and it's flavourings often include citrus and orange peel notes.Innkeepers suggestion of a Saumur-Champigny is right on, although it might be easier to find better quality Chinon or failing that,Bourgueil. Light, like Pinot Noir, but with a nicer herbal complexity, and less secondary qualities to distract from the delicate flavourings of the dish.
Now I know why I never post here. My mouth is beginning to water. Hope you enjoy your meal.

- mgmartin - 02-13-2001

Thanks to all. I will be cooking the meal this Saturday. I have picked up two kinds of wines. #1 a '96 Cabernet Franc (cedar not oaked) and #2 an "99 Australian Shiraz Cabernet. I beleive I will use the first one. Would I be safe to say that alot of the same wines would work for duck cooked with a different kind of sauce? Once again thanks to all.

- Thomas - 02-14-2001

janrob, I posted Gewurztraminer, but not a one picked up my gauntlet.