WineBoard
1997 Central Coast Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Central Coast Wine (/thread-11676.html)

- mrdutton - 08-28-2001

Anyone have any familiarity with this one:

1997 Central Coast TREANA Red Table Wine made by Chris Phelps. Rumour has it that the blend uses grapes similar to those found in a CdR or CdRV.

On the shelf here in Virginia Beach for less than $30.00 a bottle. It has me curious.......

- mrdutton - 08-28-2001

A search of the internet came up with this bit of info......

"Treana" symbolizes a trinity of natural elements - the sun, the soil, and the ocean -the elements that make Paso Robles and the rest of the Central Coast a prime area for premium winegrapes.

The local geography and climate combine to make a winegrower's dream come true. There are rolling hills of limestone-influenced soil as far as the eye can see. Hot and sunny summer days are tempered by cool afternoon ocean breezes that gently flow through gaps in the hills, and there is often as much as a forty-degree temperature swing between night and day. The grapes respond accordingly, with good sugar levels and balanced acids.

The grapes that go into the vintages of Treana Winery also benefit from a good deal of knowledge and expertise. The Hope family began planting vineyards in the area in 1980, and over two decades of experience has not only taught them how to grow the finest quality winegrapes, but has also shown them the tremendous potential of the region.

It is because of this potential that the Treana label is now focusing its efforts on producing the best of the best. "Treana Red" is a proprietary blend crafted by Winemaker Austin Hope.

Hope is the Head of Viticulture/Winemaking for both Treana and Liberty School wines. He is a graduate of California Polytechnic University with a Fruit Science (Viticulture/Enology) and a Crop Science Degree. He studied under many winemakers, most notably winemaker Chuck Wagner of Caymus Vineyards. Hope also was an assistant winemaker with Chris Phelps, formerly of Dominus Winery.

Treana Red was well received by consumers and press, gaining favorable mention as a "Super Paso" in the Wine Enthusiast and as a wine with a "voluptuous texture" in the Wine Spectator. The Treana Red blend contains Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mourvedre, Syrah, and Petite Sirah, but Hope has reserved the right to change that assemblage from year-to-year. One thing will remain a constant, however - all of the fruit was and will be grown by the Hope family, within a four-mile radius of the Paso Robles township.

- Drew - 08-28-2001

Treana Winery Paso Robles
2175 Arbor Rd., Paso Robles, CA 93446
Phone: (805) 238-6979 Fax: (805) 238-4063
Winemakers: Chris Phelps, Austin Hope
Hours: daily 10am-5pm
Tasting Charges: no; Tours: by appointment only
Labels: Treana, Liberty School
Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Muscat Canelli,
Viognier, Zinfandel
Tasting Notes for Liberty School Cabernet '98

Drew

- mrdutton - 08-29-2001

Thanks Drew!

WW - you ever run across this one?

- Innkeeper - 08-29-2001

Sounds like an awful lot of money for anything from Paso Robles. Am not knocking the place; it's just that they have a well deserved reputation for putting out good wine at at good price.

- winoweenie - 08-29-2001

Sorry I missed this post yesserday. I had a bottle of their 97. Was a nice bottle of juice but had a component in it that to me was off-putting. WQhen I originally took a swig I remember that I thot it was a very good bottling, but when I saw the price, I had many others I preferred. Sorry, but when I don't intend to buy a wine I dog it on the tasting notes. WW ( I'm sure it was the mourderve that was disagreeable in the blend.)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-29-2001).]