WineBoard
Plan Pegau CdR 2004 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Plan Pegau CdR 2004 (/thread-11664.html)

- Thraz - 12-17-2005

This is a cotes du rhone from Domaine du Pegau, of Chateauneuf fame. $14, purchased in December 05. 13.5%. Great nose with rich fruit. At first, surprisingly thin in the mouth, however became much richer after 20 minutes or so of breathing. Great wine, pronounced delicious by all. I will buy more.

- wdonovan - 12-21-2005

This review is encouraging to me. Any take on the 04 vintage in general? We drink Rhones as everyday juice and due to my unhappiness with the 03s and no 02s to speak of, I've stockpiled 01s which we're nursing 'til something better appears. A solid, drinkable 04 vintage would take a lot of pressure off my rationing practices and allow me to lay off some of the guards on duty in the Rhone section of my caves (or at least reassign them back to the Bordeaux which is nearly a four foot trip down the wall).

- Thraz - 12-21-2005

The following is based on a composite of things I've read, not on my personal reviews (the Plan Pegau is the only 2004 Rhone I've had so far): it appears that most growers are very happy with 2004 in the Rhone, which should apparently be excellent in a classical way (especially compared to 2003) - more comparable to 1999. And for what it's worth, people seem to think that 2005 could produce even better wines.

Again, all from tidbits I've read, but at least it makes me want to taste a good number of different bottles.

- wdonovan - 12-23-2005

Thank you for sending some holiday cheer my way. I still hold a few 99s and I love them. Look forward to seeing a rack or 2 of 04s in my cellar.

- Thraz - 01-05-2006

I had a second bottle of this and I thought I should correct something: this is not a CDR - in fact it is not an AOC at all. However, the grapes are all grown on Pegau property in the chateauneuf area. I went on their website and it is all very confusing: in one place they say this wine is a mix of syrah, merlot and grenache; in another, syrah-grenache; in another, syrah and merlot. I guess we can be sure there is syrah in it. If one of the resident experts tastes it and can identify the grapes for sure I would be very interested.

Anyway, the most important thing: the second bottle was as good as the first.

[This message has been edited by Thraz (edited 01-05-2006).]

- Thomas - 01-06-2006

Thraz,

The way things go in France, maybe your first bottle was shiraz, merlot and your second was shiraz, grenache... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

I have a bottle of Julienas that says on the label Red Rhone Table Wine.

Julienas is a Beaujolais!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-06-2006).]

- barnesy - 01-07-2006

That's some funny stuff!

Maybe I should buy me a Berdoe with some granachee and reeshling in it.

Sorry for the WW speak, I've had a bit too much Sierra Nevada Celebration tonight.

Barnesy

- Thraz - 01-07-2006

I was so puzzled by the information on the label and on the site that I ended up emailing Pegau. They don't know me from Adam and I most definitely don't have an account with them or anything like that, so it was very nice of them to reply quickly. The person who replied was Laurence Feraud, the owner/winemaker.

So anyway, it was a long answer and here is the gist of it:

- The law imposes Chateauneuf du Pape producers to discard 5% to 20% of the grapes grown in CDP appellation areas. The discarded grapes are called "rapé."
- Pegau also has 6 hectares of non-appellation grapes ("Vin de Table").
- Plan Pegau is a mix of the rapé and of non-appellation grapes.
- The mix is mainly made up of grenache, syrah, merlot, alicante and carignan. (I guess the merlot alone would explain why it's not an appellation)
- The Plan Pegau is assembled from juices from foudres, barriques and cuves.
- Once assembled, Laurence Feraud readjusts the wine with some VDP d'Oc selected for the Plan Pegau (apparently non-Pegau grapes). This is more grenache and syrah.

It's always nice to get feedback from producers, especially of Pegau's caliber, so I thought I would pass it along.

[This message has been edited by Thraz (edited 01-07-2006).]