WineBoard
2003 Chateau de Lascaux Coteaux du Languedoc Rouge - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Chateau de Lascaux Coteaux du Languedoc Rouge (/thread-11417.html)

- TheEngineer - 11-19-2005

Dark but clear garnet color, with a nose of coffee, old wood, herbs and some dark fruit, Same on the palate but with an tone of alcohol that was with me over the entire time the wine was in my mouth. Medium body with a slightly off-dry sensation due to alcohol. Definitely a bit of tannins at the end and the hotness still persisted. 13.5 ABV. I had just brought this back from SF on Wednesday so it may be a bit discombobulated.

A bit unbalanced at this time but decent enough. I would buy again just to retry. $12.50 per bottle.

- Bucko - 11-20-2005

I've been drinking their '04 Rose -- delightful. Bought a case and down to a couple. :-(

- TheEngineer - 11-21-2005

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look out for these!

- TheEngineer - 11-23-2005

Had corked it back up after the initial taste and went back to it tonight (after so many days....). It was much more settled. The alcohol note had totally gone and what remained was much better, a more mineral tone showed up and the wine while still two distinctive flavours (fruit and parallel to it minerals), is much nicer. Wish I had waited the couple of weeks...but I'll go back and pick up a few more.

- wdonovan - 12-05-2005

Funny, I've found the same alcohol "hotness" with almost every '03 south Rhone I've tried (along with an overripe, stewed fruit taste).
I thought the alcohol taste overpowered the fruit. So I gave up on south Rhones 'til next vintage. I'm drinking the '01s that I've hoarded. One exception is the Cotes de Ventoux. Had a few of them in '03s that were fine. Maybe it's the south of the south that didn't have this issue. Ventoux is near the top of Provence (still further south than a lot of Rhone producers) and Languedoc is a good way south from there.

- Thomas - 12-05-2005

Donovan,

The 2003 summer in all of Europe was so hot that i've given up on most of the wines--atypical.

- hotwine - 12-05-2005

Have found that early pickers from that vintage, esp. Sauvignon Blanc, have been just fine.

- Thomas - 12-05-2005

That makes perfect sense--based on what I have tasted, not enough of them knew to pick early!

- Bucko - 12-06-2005

We visited the Rhone this year, north and south. Northern Rhone wines fared worse than the South IMHO.

The Northern Rhones were hot and raisiny. Even some of the producers lamented to us about the quality of the vintage. Moving south, the CdPs and Village wines were reasonably tasty, but not what I personally look for.

I'm passing on the '03s. I'm am totally blown away that a noted wine critic is singing the praises of '03 Northern Rhones. Buyer beware. You'll be wise to try before you buy, if at all possible.

- barnesy - 12-24-2005

Fortunately I have a very good shop and I won't have go through withdrawls on rhones, they'll have culled out the bad ones before they enter their shop. i am a confirmed rhone addict. Gots to get me fix.

A great shop is a true treasure. I refuse to buy anywhere else and am more than glad to pay the slight bit extra for the outstanding service they have always given me.

Barnesy