WineBoard
Petite Sirah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Petite Sirah (/thread-11380.html)

- Innkeeper - 08-27-2003

There is an excellent cover story on petite sirah in the current edition (August/September) of “The Wine News.” They point out that several interesting things have happened to this formally misunderstood grape over the past year. First, the grape is now genetically proven to be one and the same as the Southern Rhone grape durif. Second, druif is the offspring of syrah and a grape called peloursin. If cabernet franc and sauvignon blanc can be crossed to produce cabernet sauvignon which is called a noble grape, and if pinot blanc and gouais blanc (gouais blanc!!) can be crossed to produce chardonnay which is called a noble grape; then certainly petite sirah can be called a noble grape. Third, the Rhone Ranger Association has recognized petite sirah as a Rhone variety.

Petite sirah can be produced in a ready to drink mode, but most need aging. Of three dozen bottles we’ve laid down eight are Pets. The article recommends the following procedure for decanting the more “formidable” Pets. Set bottle upright for several days. Decant all but the last ounce and discard the rest (I would pour it though a coffee filter). Let stand for an hour. Using the same procedure, decant it back into the bottle (or another decanter). Then gush it back into the first (cleaned) decanter, and let it sit another hour. Now you are ready to drink.

They evaluated several Pets. All but a handful are well over $20. Interestingly, the Bogle at $10 got a 90 rating! Also of interest, Georgie, Bogle makes a Petite Sirah Port!

For more information go to www.psiloveyou.org

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-28-2003).]

- winoweenie - 08-27-2003

Ken Burnap of Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards has bottled a Duriff, off and on, since 1977. I found an orphan of their 78 last year in the cellar and it was stunning at the ripe old age of 23. It's been known that most of the Petite Sirah vines here in the states were indeed this varietal.WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-27-2003).]

- thewoodman - 08-27-2003

Bogle's PS port is well done, and I have a few bottles of the Petite around the house...which BTW doesn't require the pre-treatment IK suggests. By far, however, may favorite Bogle wine of all time is the Phantom, which is a PS and OV Zin blendfor abot $14. I'll post some notes when I get a minute.

- Thomas - 08-27-2003

Bogle wines never stop amazing me as value wines with oomph! Makes me almost think there is hope for California...

- Drew - 08-27-2003

Had the Phantom while at the beach this year...really nice stuff.

Drew

- quijote - 11-01-2003

A couple of months ago I bought a 2001 Bogle PS at the grocery store, and somehow between then and tonight I started thinking I had bought a Bogle Merlot. So I opened the bottle, poured, drank...and thought, "What a strange Merlot." Well, of course....it was a Petite Sirah.

The 2001 is quite tasty, with a good presence of blackberries on the palate and a touch of black pepper on the finish. The vanilla scent would indicate oak, but I didn't find this wine particularly oaky in taste. Alc. 13.5%, ~$9.00

- winoweenie - 11-01-2003

That's strange Quijote....Bucko said after the first sip he was spitting splinters!(snort,giggle)ww

- Bucko - 11-01-2003

Talk to me, beaver boy......